Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, why are there so few local races (XC, Enduro) races in the Bay Area?

Seems like quite a few parks would be fine for some local XC and Enduro races. There are a few demo days, but races are so far and few between. You have to drive quite far to get to any races. I'm sure there would be plenty of riders to partake.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
This is true. I think nothing of driving 3-5 hours for a race that could be handled on a nearby mountain. We need someone to buy and and make available a private 'club' venue ala TDS.

Xxxxxx is a DH race xxxx xx xx xxxxx Xxxxxx bay area xxxx weekend, but xxxx xxxx xxx xx talked about. It sucks.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
There is unsanctioned dh race in the peninsula.

Also, there is strava....

Yeah, too bad about the races at Santa Teresa some years back. Those were the closest mtb races in silicon valley.

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,328 Posts
wow, when i was racing in the late nineties...we had three (the sizzler and two cal state championship series) races at grant ranch, one at briones, two (maybe three in some years) boggs races, a california state championship series race at laguna seca, treez and breeze, one at tamarancho and maybe some more i never did. is there still a series at lake sonoma?

wow, what happened?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strava and Enduro kinda killed XC racing in many places, not just the Bay Area.

This dude usually puts on trail running races (on rad routes that an adventurous mt. biker would drool over), but once in a while he offers an MTB race... in the Bay Area.

https://tctruns.com/2019/02/03/mtb-calero-rancho-ride/
Strava is not the same because you can't really push it. Always have to be careful of other riders, people and horses. The key to races is that it is a closed course with everyone going in the same direction, so you can push it.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Flashback Norcal racing plates

Here are a couple of memories from races past. The Bonsai(sic) series was around 20 years ago at Grant Ranch - Stanford was at Santa Theresa - Team Wrong Way/Groovy Gravity Games/CHDH were all at Corral Hollow OHV park near Livermore. Bigfoot was in Mtns above Arcata. I got to hang out with Marla Streb on a Bonsai track walk - what a woman!!

Font Symbol Number Rectangle Gas

Text Font Number Gas Advertising
Text Purple Lavender Violet Font

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
NCNCA used to be on top if it, not so much anymore but the road scene is thriving.
Actually, I think the road scene is also getting crushed. There are still a lot of races still but the fields have dwindled to nothing and races getting canceled more and more.

I'm just a Cat 4 hack but I've seen it fall off a cliff over the last 3 years I've been showing up on occasion. If you want to read all about in the NCNCA Facebook page is a disaster of lament.

The only things that seems to really be thriving are gravel events.

Bring back Tamorancho XC, Annadel XC, Skyline XC, Howell Mt Challenge, Napa Valley DC. That's 5 great XC races that have fallen off in the last few years.

And Cyclocross is even worse. There are like 2 races now and used to be able to race every weekend.

Sigh.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
And Cyclocross is even worse. There are like 2 races now and used to be able to race every weekend.

Sigh.
CCCX cyclocross isn't going anywhere. Sacramento has a series and there's another series that has races in Morgan Hill and San Mateo, Coyote Valley Cross I think. Hopefully Surf City CX will host a few races this winter as well. Still waiting(checking daily) for this winters schedule to come out.

·
the half breed devil
Santa Cruz 5010 v.3, rigid single speed karate monkey
4,328 Posts
CCCX cyclocross isn't going anywhere. Sacramento has a series and there's another series that has races in Morgan Hill and San Mateo, Coyote Valley Cross I think. Hopefully Surf City CX will host a few races this winter as well. Still waiting(checking daily) for this winters schedule to come out.
i remember stumbling upon the bay area prestige CX races in golden gate park back in '07, '08 and maybe '09.

i'll post a few photos if i remember to when i get home from work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.