Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tommorow, the first thing I'm doing when I get to work is ordering all the pasrts to finish my bike, which is basically everything besides the frame, grips, stem, and wheel sets. But I had a couple questions.

First off, Im looking for a single speed kit for the time being, and all the ones I'm looking at say "HG splined cassette" what does that mean? Ive got redline hubs, with normal Shimano splines, will that work?

What do you guys like for seats? BMX style seats? jump seats? or more like an all mountain seat?

One last question, the front chainring is going to be 22T for the time being, what would a decent rear cog be to start out with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The splines should match.

a 12 or 13 tooth cog should do.

There's a formula which tells you the optimum gearing for bikes, but I can't remember it, anyone want to fill me in?

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
colourclassic said:
The splines should match.

a 12 or 13 tooth cog should do.

There's a formula which tells you the optimum gearing for bikes, but I can't remember it, anyone want to fill me in?
i believe its
front cog/rear cog x rear wheel diameter should equal close to 55
example

32/16 X 26 = 52

i like in the lower 50's for street and some like in the mid to high 50's for dirt. all personal pref.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I did it right that means my ratio will be 47, which is no big deal for the time being. Im still trying to feel things out. thanks a lot guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.