Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be moving from San Diego to Raleigh. How is the riding in the area? Also what gear are most single speeders using? I run a 33 x 20 in So Cal.

Also I have noticed that a lot of trails are closed when it rains. I would not have expected that on the East Coast. I understand it in so cal, because we have tons of clay that just packs up, and grooves the trails, and you just cannot ride. Is it the same in Raleigh?

·
Registered
299 Posts
In Raliegh it is more or less the same. Another contributor is due to the lack of elevation large sections of trail have less than ideal drainage. The farther west you go towards Asheville the better/quicker the trails dry out

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr Thunder said:
Where in San Diego did you usually ride?
I ride almost every trail in SD. I ride Black Mountain from my house, as well as ride Daley Ranch, Sycamore Canyon, Lake Hodges, as will as up to OC and ride the San Juan Trail.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
wreckingrob said:
http://trianglemtb.com/

There are a number of... undocumented trails in the area as well. PM me and I'll relay some details.
Ditto: If in Raleigh area, trianglemtb.com is the site to go with for trail info/status, group ride updates, entertainment etc. TORC (Triangle Off-Road Cyclists also has a meetup.com page for group rides. Meet some people and you will get hooked up with the better trails in the area.
I take it you are running 33:20 on a 29er? I say stick with it and you will be able to hammer most trails. Gear choices here vary a bit. A number of guys I know run 32:18 or 19 on their 29ers. I ride a 26er SS and run 32:18 on everything around here (legit and bandit). It is a bit light at times, but works well for long endurance rides, and I am too lazy to switch back and forth--unless going to Pisgah, then I throw on a 20t.

FWIW I moved here from NorCal (Folsom) and love it...though I will likely move back soon. :skep:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO said:
Ditto: If in Raleigh area, trianglemtb.com is the site to go with for trail info/status, group ride updates, entertainment etc. TORC (Triangle Off-Road Cyclists also has a meetup.com page for group rides. Meet some people and you will get hooked up with the better trails in the area.
I take it you are running 33:20 on a 29er? I say stick with it and you will be able to hammer most trails. Gear choices here vary a bit. A number of guys I know run 32:18 or 19 on their 29ers. I ride a 26er SS and run 32:18 on everything around here (legit and bandit). It is a bit light at times, but works well for long endurance rides, and I am too lazy to switch back and forth--unless going to Pisgah, then I throw on a 20t.

FWIW I moved here from NorCal (Folsom) and love it...though I will likely move back soon. :skep:
Thanks for the info! Yes, I am riding a 29er.

What would make you want to go back to California? It is so expensive here, and only seems to be getting worse.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
S:Drive said:
Thanks for the info! Yes, I am riding a 29er.

What would make you want to go back to California? It is so expensive here, and only seems to be getting worse.
To keep the story short, we (wife and I) are both from CA (been here for ~6 years). Our families are there, childhood friends etc. and where we lived (at the Sierra Foothills) really is a beautiful place to live with great weather and outdoor recreation opportunities. Interestingly, my wife will be working and I will be unemployed for a while, but she makes more than me anyway, so I see an opportunity for more riding time. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts