Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Do you think there'll be anymore?

We all know, or at least some of us know what the new bike being released tomorrow is going to be (and it is awesome!) due to the over eager web developer in charge of a US Intense dealer's website is but I'm not going to mention that on here because it's unfair to Intense to do so until tomorrow.

BUT who has a feeling that there will be more big news tomorrow?

Initially I was thinking that maybe Intense would be bringing carbon manufacturing in-house, but looking at the Designed in the USA decals on the new bike this doesn't seem to fly soooo....

I'm kind of hoping that Brian Lopes' departure from Ibis may have something to do with it. He has said that the break was amicable as Ibis wanted him do more racing than he probably needs to, whereas he is looking to further his career away from racing. He has already said he has a new sponsor that fits in with this, where he can work on new projects when he's ready to hang his racing kit up once and for all.

To me, this is where Intense would fit in. They certainly aren't as race driven as they once were, they have big things happening at the moment with the new management and investments going on within the company, and being Socal based, like Brian it would be the perfect work for someone with such credentials. Intense have in recent years taken a bit of a step out of the lime light in terms of sponsorship of big team/names etc, something like this would be an excellent move for both parties.

What do you guys reckon? I'd love to see this happening. Of course this is pure speculation, but it's something I'd personally love to see happening!

I've met and rode with Brian once before over here in the UK, he's a really nice guy and wow can he ride a bike! We spoke about his racing career, old team mates (Peaty for one!) up and coming riders like local-to-me Danny Hart and the prospect of him eventually having kids, which I'm pleased to see happened recently for BriLo. Whatever happens next for him will, I'm sure be awesome, but I'd be massively stoked to see him at my favourite bike co!

So what do you guys reckon?... :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
It would be great to see Intense start putting together a true factory race effort with Brian as the team manager.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Intense's race effort has always included really cool racers. Bringing on Lopes would be a total change in direction.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just looking forward to the videos of that guy ripping on an intense. What mtb dreams are made of!...

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I know, adding the racer with more WC wins than anyone in MTB history is not cool. not cool...
Sorry, should I have said Intense always brings on racers with great personalities and attitudes and and bringing on Lopes would have been a total change in direction?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry, should I have said Intense always brings on racers with great personalities and attitudes and and bringing on Lopes would have been a total change in direction?
Well he had a pretty good attitude the time I met him so kudos to him and Intense for landing him:
exactly - i've never heard anyone try to say he wasn't a nice guy or didn't have a great attitude towards the sport or racing. people like to give him **** because of the shirt and parking thing, doesn't change the fact that he's one of if not the best all around riders in the history of the sport and still putting the hurt on at 40+ years old.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
exactly - i've never heard anyone try to say he wasn't a nice guy or didn't have a great attitude towards the sport or racing. people like to give him **** because of the shirt and parking thing, doesn't change the fact that he's one of if not the best all around riders in the history of the sport and still putting the hurt on at 40+ years old.
Yep, he is one of the fastest guys on the planet. At 40+ according to history, should be retired a long time ago. Lopes is breaking down boundaries and is still the top. I just would like to see more videos of his riding.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hey if I was as physically fit as Lopes I'd have my top off at every given opportunity too and so what if he's not good at parking, something has got to give on the talent front!! Ha ha ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts