Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
You're the first I remember posting here.

As for targets, only Turner riders get targeted by FoShizzle, and it's in good fun. :p

Tell us more about your Cinco (other than it has a Ventana rear-end) and I'm sure we would welcome the discussion.

D.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Depends on how you behave

I like to drop turds on the Turner forum. Silly Homers, TNT is for wannabes. I can say that because I am one (for the now defunct HL Turners).

Questions - why did you get a Cinco instead of a Salty? Do you have specific fit needs? Do you just like bling? BTW - there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I seriously looked at the Cinco before getting the X-5. I was told that for my weight and riding that Al was better than Ti in a fully suspended bike. Still think the Moots is sweet. All my hardtails have been Ti, and if I were to go hardtail again I think I would go with Moots.

·
Registered
502 Posts
P Fradale said:
I seriously looked at the Cinco before getting the X-5. I was told that for my weight and riding that Al was better than Ti in a fully suspended bike. Still think the Moots is sweet. All my hardtails have been Ti, and if I were to go hardtail again I think I would go with Moots.
The only hard tail I actually ride on a regular basis is my road bike and its a Vamoots. I like Moots frames and thought about a Cinco for a while, and then decided that I just could not justify it since I already have two perfectly capable Ventanal.

We don't mind oogling at someone elses Cinco though so post some shots.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Well, first off, thanks for not completely flaming me out of forum.

Sorry to say it, but the decision was initially based on a few factors OTHER than the Ventana rear-end. I was comforted by the fact though that Moots had teamed with a trusted manufacturer for the rear end and that it was a machined Al rear-end instead of Ti. This is mT full-boinger. My last bike was a Boston-Merlin HT that I loved...until I just got sick of being jarred around. So, with Ti in my past I was already smittem by the material. So, I looked at a few options Seven Duo, have a Seven Steel road bike and loved the buying experience (not to mention that I worked in a shop a couple years ago that sold Seven), and love the ride of the Palomino platform, but the platform is too problematic. I also DO have some fit requirements in that I am tall and mostly legs. Then IF announced their new full sus bike. GORGEOUS and the platform looked very promising and had some great rider reviews. Only drawback...$4000 FOR THE FRAME!! Then Moots announced the Cinco. I already had my HT blinged out with Moots stuff Braced Ti Riser, Moots stem, Moots lay-back post so I was familiar with their build quality. Plus, I met them at Interbike a few years ago and found Jon to be really nice. After I put all of that on the HT, it looked a little..."brandy", so I peeled all the Merlin stickers off, made a call to Chicago, and got brand spankin' new RADIO FLYER decals for it...but I digress. The REAL decision maker though was this; After being laid-off from the shop a few years ago, I got back into my "field", graphic design (which should help explain the "draw of the bling"). I had some friends that were leaving the shops they were at and opening their own. My wife (GF at the time), who is an interior designer, and I helped them with everything from their logo and all related collateral to the interior design of the shop. The project was a labor of love combining two passions of mine. The owners and I discussed at one point "payment" for what we had done. I told them that I wasn't helping them with any motive other than the fact that they were freinds and the "labor of love" factor. BUT, I told them that they did deal in contraband and my payment could come in that form. Sooooo, the IF was too hard to get (supply-wise and their was already a dealer in town) so I got the Moots (no dealer in town and Moots was willing to sell to the shop) frame as payment for "services rendered". SWEET!!

I have never owned a full-sus bike. Had some experience with them at Interbike and rented an 9-inch Banshee Scream at Whistler last rear (YEEEE-HAWWW), but I had never OWNED one. I LOVE this bike. It is soooo friggin' smooth and handles like a dream. I guess I'm not your typical Ti owner weight weenie, I want stuff that works the way I want it to FEEL. I put all the components from the HT on it (all the aforementioned Moots gear, XTR kit, King disc hubs laced to 819's, Avid Mech's). It was one of the first Cinco's (if not THE because the frame was ready to go but not the shock hardware) off the line with an RP3 and I purchased a Talas for the front. Dream bike...for me. I have yet to take any photos but friends (and message board folks) are asking for them so I guess I will have some soon.

Sorry for the long introduction, but thanks for reading if you've stuck around.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
We need a photo, equipment list and weight (including pedals) pronto! I'm sure the build quality of the rear end will only enhance the famous quality of Moots front triangle.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
AOK said:
So when a company designs a frame around a Ventana rear end Sherwood requires them to use a spanish name, eh?. Sherwood's version of the infamous ICT sticker! :D
that's a pretty good eye to catch that one.

What does Sycip call his steel frt./Ven. rear bike again?

·
No known cure
5,586 Posts
Sycip is the Double Dribble...

Internal14 said:
that's a pretty good eye to catch that one.

What does Sycip call his steel frt./Ven. rear bike again?
Curtlo calls his the "Custom front triangle with Ventana rear." I think we need to work on that one.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
D-Rock said:
You're the first I remember posting here.

As for targets, only Turner riders get targeted by FoShizzle, and it's in good fun. :p

Tell us more about your Cinco (other than it has a Ventana rear-end) and I'm sure we would welcome the discussion.

D.
You resemble that remark!
You up for riding one of those bikes this Sunday? Shoot me a PM...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Soupboy said:
I like to drop turds on the Turner forum. Silly Homers, TNT is for wannabes. I can say that because I am one (for the now defunct HL Turners).

Questions - why did you get a Cinco instead of a Salty? Do you have specific fit needs? Do you just like bling? BTW - there's nothing wrong with that.
I'm a Turner owner and feel the same way about their board elitism. At one point it used to be a place for info that people would dispense happily. Now it's a warzone with haughty owners that don't like newbies or "stupid" questions.

The moment I saw the Moots, I fell in love with it. Couldn't be a greater combo of having the gorgeous Ventana rear and a Ti front. I love the Double Dribble, too. Maybe one day when I can afford to get "extra" bikes.

The other significant thing I see is that there is mutual business respect between bike makers here. There is plenty of business out there without having to resort to dirty tricks and unethical business practices. Deals like this are good for both parties and I salute Moots, The Sycip Brothers, and Sherwood for showing this.

Don't know where I got this pic from, but it's been on my hard drive for several years.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks like a sweet ride. I almost went for a Steel HT. I was going to get a Steel Landshark and have it all painted up to look like a Radio Flyer Wagon. Ended up not going that route though. I am anxious enough about having a steel roadbike much less a Steel mountain bike. Cool combo though on the Sycip. Weren't they also using the Palomino rear end for a while?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the "advantages" of a Ti front end in this case is that it is fully customizable. Most Ti manufacturers do offer a custom option, some STOCK sizing is an option. Can't say that I've noticed any sacrifice in cornering ability, but hey, first full-sus for me so I don't have all the nuances figured out yet. As far as the MONEY goes, wasn't an issue cuz the frame didn't cost me anything.

As far as the hydraulics go, I'm running Avid's mid-size rotor in the front and the smaller rotor in the back. I have owned Hayes hydraulics before so I know what hyraulics feel like and the larger Avid rotor in the front makes these brakes stop REALLY friggin' well. Plus my dual-control levers are for linear pull brakes so a switch to hydraulics would be even more costly.

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Ventanas are also fully customizable, so you don't have to go Ti to get that feature. I would think that the main reason to go Ti would be weight or exclusivity. In the case of Moots, fabrications reportedly approach fine art sculpture, but then again so does Ventana, IMHO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool. I realized after I posted that Ventana probably would do custom like Titus or any other high-end Al manufacturer. Again, my Ti decision was partly based on having already been bitten by the Ti bug. Moots decided that I didn't need custom so I got a stock size anyway. Moots and their "custom" program scared me anyway. Their initial STOCK sizing recommendation scared me...but that's all another story potentially for another forum.

·
Registered
330 Posts
TI IS NOT LIGHTER THAN AL. Have a looksee at the periodic table. Its properties allow it to be used with thinner walls, which is why most Ti bikes flex more than aluminum frames.

Ill clear up another myth: Alu is NOT stiffer than steel. There is a great article that appeared in velo news on materials and their role in framebuilding. Ill see if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.