Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wifes family is from New Jersey and we are taking a trip in a couple weeks and staying in the Lavalette area of the shore.

I'm going for 9 days this time and I may have to bring the bike to keep some sanity (I"m not a big beach person).

Contemplating the road bike or the MTB. So, just wondering if there are any solid trails within 1-1.5 hours of the lavelette area?

Thanks - GG

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, looks like there is at least some riding.

Singlespeed or full suspension. I was thinking maybe just the singlespeed if I only haul one bike out?

How's the terrain? If I'm willing to drive further, how far to hit some climbs etc?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've only done allaire a few times, but the trails I've done there were tight twisty singletrack with some fairly moderate climbs. I think I saw a couple sections to do jumps and drops as well, which maybe another area of the park. Perhaps someone can chime in on that. Park was pretty big

Hartshorne is tough climbs, lots of roots/logs, with fast rolling hills everywhere else. Don't really need a FS there, but you will def be challenged bringing your SS.

Both places are north of Lavalette, with Hartshorne being further north. Allaire is much bigger than Hartshorne. You can do all of Hartshorne in a long 2 hour ride if you know where you're going. I can tell you exact route to do there if you decide to go there.

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Let me set ya straight.. it's the BEACH.... lol

Like others have said Allaire or Hartshorne are the closest to the beach, Allaire is definitely singlespeed rated, while Hartshorne could be tuff on a single speed, it is do-abol the climbs are short but steep.

A few options for you are Chimney Rock and Sourlands, both are within 1.5 hrs of the beach and offer more climbing and rocks... Yes we have rock here in NJ! Those rides would be more fun on a short travel suspension rather than a hard tail.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i am going to be up there for five days this coming week and have done a little research. six mile run and allaire are close to the shore for a short trip day and i heard good things about sourlands so i plan on going there as well. should i be subbing in hartshorne in for one of those?

·
Registered
834 Posts
for what it's worth i am brining my geared am hardtail. i will probably do some road riding around the roads in lavalette and stuff also so i don't want my only bike to be a full sus. only time i might regret it i think is at sourlands

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can only speak for Hartshorne, Allaire, Chimney: Your geared AM hardtail will do fine in all of these places. You'll have a challenging time at certain parts of Chimney (Orange section), but certainly do-able.

I wouldn't write off Hartshorne since it's by the Navesink River, and you can stop by a pier at the 1/2 way pt and check it out. This might be of aesthetic use to you.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Not Legally

Better add 15 or 20 minutes to the time estimates. I have a place in Ortley (next to Lavallette) and there is no legal way you are going to get to the places mentioned in the times given and that does not even take traffic into account.

·
Registered
397 Posts
red bank rider said:
I wouldn't write off Hartshorne since it's by the Navesink River, and you can stop by a pier at the 1/2 way pt and check it out. This might be of aesthetic use to you.
Not any more unless you want to stand on pilings. The pier (if you're talking about the one on the rocky point trail) washed away in one of the winter storms and all thats left are pilings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rogueldr said:
Not any more unless you want to stand on pilings. The pier (if you're talking about the one on the rocky point trail) washed away in one of the winter storms and all thats left are pilings.
I stopped by that area about 4 weeks ago, and I saw it was detached and laid to the side....figured they would've fixed it by now. Sorry about that - at least you can still roll by the asphalt area and the picnic bench right by the pilings.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
Ridethebike said:
Let me set ya straight.. it's the BEACH.... lol

Like others have said Allaire or Hartshorne are the closest to the beach, Allaire is definitely singlespeed rated, while Hartshorne could be tuff on a single speed, it is do-abol the climbs are short but steep.

A few options for you are Chimney Rock and Sourlands, both are within 1.5 hrs of the beach and offer more climbing and rocks... Yes we have rock here in NJ! Those rides would be more fun on a short travel suspension rather than a hard tail.
Hartshorne is one of the best SS trails in the state of NJ- period. Super fun.:thumbsup:

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to Hartshorne tomorrow AM (Friday). If you are out there and see a guy on an bright orange Tallboy, it's likely me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts