Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 month old pup got confused yesterday and wound up chasing two mountain bikers...but not the right ones...yesterday at Paris Mountain. I was just curious if it was anyone here. Apparently he figured out he had f-ed up and came wandering back up Kanuga looking for Mom about 30 minutes later. Whew.

·
Slow, Fat and Old
105 Posts
So is it cool to let your dog run at PM? I haven't tried taking mine since they have signs at all the trailheads saying dogs have to be leashed. I routinely ignore those signs elsewhere, but I have only ridden PM a few times, so I wasn't sure. My mutt wouldn't hurt a flea and generally ignores people and other dogs when we are out on the trail.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly don't know if it's cool or not. About half the dogs I saw Sunday were off leash, but their owners were close behind holding said leash, ready to use it as needed (as was I, when I caught the little bastard).

froth, I love Shepards. Dobies are a lot of work. Our first Dobie was the greatest dog that ever lived, I loved him more than...well, more than I'm willing to admit. he was a great mtb dog, too, he knew to run either 30 feet in front, or behind you...one or two knobby tires up his butt and he learned how to "ride" w/ more manners than a lot of roadies. ;-)

This one..eh..he's a handfull. Dobies are incredibly smart, and I'm beginning to think that's not really a trait one particularly needs to look for in a dog. Golden Retrievers...now there's a dog ;-)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've got an 8 y/o red female and she's the best dog i've had. She was a great trail running dog until 5-6 y/o when she started to slow up a little. I'm getting ready to start looking at black & tan pups for a male - to keep her young! I used to take her on long (15mi per day) backpacking trips in VA and WVA and she loved it. I never used a leash because most dobies are "velcro" dogs in that they stay very close..

BTW - that's a long ("show") crop! Must have been a long taping period.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
froth14 said:
Very cool looking doberman!

I've been thinking of getting a companion for my shepherd, a doberman is a definite consideration

My last dog was a Dobie/Shep mix, what a great dog. It's been 1.5 years since I had to have her put too sleep. :( Very similar to your dog's face but with the Dobie colors.
I don't see any problems with dogs along with mt bikers, there has to be 3 times as many with hikers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So is it cool to let your dog run at PM? I haven't tried taking mine since they have signs at all the trailheads saying dogs have to be leashed. I routinely ignore those signs elsewhere, but I have only ridden PM a few times, so I wasn't sure. My mutt wouldn't hurt a flea and generally ignores people and other dogs when we are out on the trail.
I know the law says not to let the dogs run free which if I had a dog and was MTB'n with him, it would be hard to follow. I've run into mostly well behaved dogs while riding at Paris but one bad experience that really ruined it. Dog off leash running ahead of a jogger in a fast downhill section of Pipsissewa about took one of my friends out. One bad experience really takes the places of 20 to 30 good experiences. Keep your dogs on leashes, please.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
screemer said:
I know the law says not to let the dogs run free which if I had a dog and was MTB'n with him, it would be hard to follow. I've run into mostly well behaved dogs while riding at Paris but one bad experience that really ruined it. Dog off leash running ahead of a jogger in a fast downhill section of Pipsissewa about took one of my friends out. One bad experience really takes the places of 20 to 30 good experiences. Keep your dogs on leashes, please.
Hypothetically speaking... how many runners/hikers could say the same thing about mountain bikers in fast downhill sections, almost getting taken out?
Rules and laws aside, I view the presence of dogs as another part of the "share the trails" ethic. But, yes, I am an extremely biased dog owner who rides with them all the time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, Lord, yes...you're not kidding about the taping. although we started leaving them down for longer and longer periods, the final untaping (sounds like a reality tv show) was after 9 months. I'm still putting breath-rite strips on the tips. He is supposedly a show prospect...we weren't looking for that, but after we had already paid the deposit, the breeder informed us he was show quality and she wasn't raising the price, but she made us sign some damn contract that we would let her show him. I don't know if that will happen or not, but for now I have to keep him intact. That could be why his behavior is bad...you should never tell a man he's good looking.

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
litespeedchick said:
I honestly don't know if it's cool or not.
You obviously, just don't care. Your right to play with your unminding puppy supercedes every other trail users right to enjoy the trail. They obviously are just supposed to understand that your dog won't hurt a flea. that your dog won't cut in front of them. that your dog won't cause them to crash. that they don't have to slow down with concernt that your dog may dart in front of them.

As Jim Beam noted a few years back, after pepper spraying the poor dog, the dog's owner should be pepper sprayed. The dog didn't f'up by chasing the wrong bikes down the hill, the dog's owner f'ed up by deciding that this untrained, unleashed dog belonged on the trail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Hypothetically speaking... how many runners/hikers could say the same thing about mountain bikers in fast downhill sections, almost getting taken out?
Rules and laws aside, I view the presence of dogs as another part of the "share the trails" ethic. But, yes, I am an extremely biased dog owner who rides with them all the time.
Very good point. Although let me just say about my situation was that this wasn't one of those long DH sections but happened to be a semi-blind spot and a choke point (two tight trees). Like I said, I really don't mind dogs on the trails cause I love dogs too. However, I don't want to see them or other people getting hurt because of not having them on a leash.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
I saw someone put a lead on thier dog right before they got to a parking lot. There dog had been running on the trails while they were biking.The first and only thing that came to my mind was they didn't want the dog to get run over by a car.Funny I never think about a leash law, of course some of us Mtn. Bikers..........................OH ahhh ain't to smart!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I knew this would quickly end up as a discussion on the leash laws. My feeling is we do need to protect what we have at Paris Mt by obeying the posted rules. Regardless of the rule, we should do our best to abide. If the rule is stupid - as some rules may be, we should lobby to change the rule, but until a rule is changed, stick with it.

Paris Mt is a real gem for us here in the upstate and especially Greenville. It is a place where I spend a lot of time. I'd hate to lose any rights that we (people in general, not just mt bikers) have because someone didn't follow the rules (and you know it's not just because of someone it is usually many someones).

so, because I don't have trouble with the concept of dogs off leash, I tried to be more generic to the rules (don't forget - park closes at 9pm on tuesday nights!!). Lets do what we can to keep what we have.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have been to Paris exactly once, so take my experience with a grain of salt...

I was at the top parking lot (doing some shuttle runs with buddies) and ran into two very distraught folks who had dogs off leash and were looking for them after they took off into the woods somewhere. Paris is a pretty large place, and it would be easy to lose a dog out there. Apparently there are bordering neighborhoods as well, which makes it that much worse. Anyway, I don't particularly care one way or another, but not only are you violating the rules, but you're risking a lost dog also. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, there you have it...

I think leash laws are stupid. But I also think a person's dog should be within earshot of their command and obey that command immediately. We failed at that, so Mr. Puppy has lost his off-leash privileges until he proves himself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.