Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Biocentric EBB VII on my Air One Carbon. Niner and other resources suggest that I use Carbogrip or the like to make sure the EBB does not slip/creak. Two issues:

1) By the time I apply the Carbogrip/equivalent to the surface, install the BB, and tighten everything up, the material dries. This makes it harder/impossible to have a bond I wanted in the first place.

2) What happens when I get a flat on the trail and need to loosen and then retighten the EBB? Isn't the bond going to make this difficult?

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I could be mistaken, however I don't believe you are bonding two surfaces. I believe the Carbogrip is applied and then allowed to dry/setup before continuing with any install. The Carbogrip increases friction.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am installing a Biocentric EBB VII on my Air One Carbon. Niner and other resources suggest that I use Carbogrip or the like to make sure the EBB does not slip/creak. Two issues:

1) By the time I apply the Carbogrip/equivalent to the surface, install the BB, and tighten everything up, the material dries. This makes it harder/impossible to have a bond I wanted in the first place.

2) What happens when I get a flat on the trail and need to loosen and then retighten the EBB? Isn't the bond going to make this difficult?

Thanks.
1. Carbogrip is not an adhesive and does not "bond". Just increases the friction between surfaces. Apply and install. No "drying".

2. You do not need to. The whole point of an EBB is to not need to mess with the chain adjustment when removing/installing the wheel. Only need to touch it if you have changed your gearing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Even more to the point, Niner stopped recommending carbo grip a while ago. They now recommend installing it dry and applying grease to the bolt threads, bolt heads, and EBB posts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Even more to the point, Niner stopped recommending carbo grip a while ago. They now recommend installing it dry and applying grease to the bolt threads, bolt heads, and EBB posts.
How many out there have tried the dry install? I have been using pipe joint compound over the years with great success. I am loathe to change the setup fearing slipping and noise from the EBB when the inevitable water ingress occurs. It is unavoidable during 3/4 of the year of riding in the PNW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts