Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female riding buddy is quite an outdoors enthusiast and while we were discuccing snowboarding last night, she said that a lot fo people go snowshoeing on the biking trails around the front range. I've never done this but do any of you? It sounds kind of cool and I've never tried it but I'm not about to show up at Evergreen in snowshoes just yet. Are there trails people use to go snowshoeing or is it more of a backcountry thing up in the mountains?

·
slow
6,880 Posts
I usually don't snowshoe the same trails as I ride. Most of my close trails are low and dry enough to ride most of the year. When they are snowy, there is not enough snow to warrant snowshoes. We do most of our snowshoe outings in Rocky Mtn Natl Park or near Cameron Pass between here (Ft. Collins) and Steamboat. Most of my snowshoe experience is above the 8000 - 8500ft range.

When I lived in Summit County, however, I always snowshoed on my favorite biking trails.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Wife and I snowshoe with the dogs about 2 weekends a month...ride one day and snowshoe the next. We go all over: Summit county, Grand county, Mt Evans. Never has been enough snow on the front range to snowshoe at Falcon, GM, Apex or where ever.....

Maybe we can put together a FR Group snowshoe trip sometime....with beers afterwords

Rich

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Try xc skiing, more rewarding if you ask me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's been five years, but...

When I used to live in Castle Rock. We used to snow shoe on the Indian Creek Trail all of the time. It used to see little to no traffic during this season (ie not trampled down) and the either of the trails closest to the ICT trailhead are protected and higher in elevation so the snow seems to hang around longer.

Depending on where you live it might be a good "close in" option. I don't know what the weather has been like back there recently but if you've had a recent snowfall it's likely to be in good shape.

TCN

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Flyer said:
My female riding buddy is quite an outdoors enthusiast and while we were discuccing snowboarding last night, she said that a lot fo people go snowshoeing on the biking trails around the front range. I've never done this but do any of you? It sounds kind of cool and I've never tried it but I'm not about to show up at Evergreen in snowshoes just yet. Are there trails people use to go snowshoeing or is it more of a backcountry thing up in the mountains?
A bit of a hijack/tangent here, but thought it might be useful for others:

I am looking to buy some snowshoes this winter. What hints and advice would you give someone who wants to start? Should I rent first? What type/size/etc of snowshoes should I buy?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Jdub said:

I am looking to buy some snowshoes this winter. What hints and advice would you give someone who wants to start? Should I rent first? What type/size/etc of snowshoes should I buy?
Check out wilderness exchange downtown off of 15th and Platte(near REI) or wildernessexchangeunlimited.com . They generally have the MSR Denalis which I use and highly recommend. They are great if you ever decide to throw some mountaineering in the mix as well. Very light and damn near indestructable. Plus they fit all types of shoes without hassle.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Jdub said:

Don't get Yakimas, they suck.

If you're thinking used, you could check out the BOC or the Sports Recycler.

As far as which trails to visit, my rule of thumb is to head places where I can't ride my bike. For shoeing, that means we usually head into the Indian Peaks or RMNP.

·
Registered
63 Posts
jugdish said:
Try xc skiing, more rewarding if you ask me.
I second the xc skiing. go up to any of the trails around brainard and along peak to peak highway. the skiing is a lot more like biking. especially trying to manuever the downhills without much room for error :cool:

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting stuff and good information. I need to start doing some quick research. XC skiing sounds good too so I'll look at what I find on the relevant websites for doing all that here

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
geneseo said:
I second the xc skiing. go up to any of the trails around brainard and along peak to peak highway. the skiing is a lot more like biking. especially trying to manuever the downhills without much room for error :cool:
I totally agree with the skiing is more like biking comment. You're basically navigating a trail, many times as narrow as ST, only on a pair of skis. The big advantage over snow shoes is you get to glide downhill.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dogs don't have special boots/shoes, right? The reason I ask is that my sillly dog loves the snow but eventually freezes up her paws and if you put boots on here, the silly girl just stands frozen like a statue and then lies down and will not get up, no matter what I try. I'll keep trying though.

yetirich said:
Wife and I snowshoe with the dogs about 2 weekends a month...ride one day and snowshoe the next. We go all over: Summit county, Grand county, Mt Evans. Never has been enough snow on the front range to snowshoe at Falcon, GM, Apex or where ever.....

Maybe we can put together a FR Group snowshoe trip sometime....with beers afterwords

Rich

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
no issues

Flyer said:
The dogs don't have special boots/shoes, right? The reason I ask is that my sillly dog loves the snow but eventually freezes up her paws and if you put boots on here, the silly girl just stands frozen like a statue and then lies down and will not get up, no matter what I try. I'll keep trying though.
Flyer,
We have two 80lb labs that go with us. We usually stop about every 30 minutes and clear out thier paws of snow and ice. My yellow lab, Johan, even puts his head in the snow and the barrows along headfirst through the snow...they dont seem to care. We have been out on Midnight snowshoe hikes and full moon hikes and never had any problems.

They dont like the boots but sometimes they carry thier own packs for thier food/water

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Boxer is around the same size (79 lbs) and she is pretty active even with the plate/pins in her left knee. She LOVES the snow but eventually, her paws (between the toes) get really red and she starts to hold them up and try to thaw them out so I was thinking about boots. I'll try to take some dog boots and maybe out them on if she freezes her paws again. I'm sure she would eventually follow if I left her lying in the snow after she starts her no-boots antics.

OR I could just leave her behind but she's so used to going everywhere with me, I hate doing that.

yetirich said:
Flyer,
We have two 80lb labs that go with us. We usually stop about every 30 minutes and clear out thier paws of snow and ice. My yellow lab, Johan, even puts his head in the snow and the barrows along headfirst through the snow...they dont seem to care. We have been out on Midnight snowshoe hikes and full moon hikes and never had any problems.

They dont like the boots but sometimes they carry thier own packs for thier food/water

1 - 14 of 14 Posts