Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MRfire said:
Ah don't be a wimp and ride up the damn mountain! :)

btw: looks like you were the only one on the shuttle!
Ya I was the only one on the shuttle for a little while... ran into 2 more DH's about a mile up the road.

It is my first time at Snowshoe and I have now ridden every FR and DH trail on both sides of the MT.

I gotta say that the FR park trails "A" and "B" really scared me and made wish I would have brought my DC forks but everything here is doable. The MT cross course is really nice, as are the DH runs on both sides of the MT.

I really had no idea how wet, muddy, rooty and rocky it is here. Reminds me of riding in BC or Maine.

There are some really challanging stuff in the FR park. The pics on the Net and Rag advertisments don 't do it justice. It is nice to be on a MT that will bottom out my bike.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Axis said:
Ya I was the only one on the shuttle for a little while... ran into 2 more DH's about a mile up the road.

It is my first time at Snowshoe and I have now ridden every FR and DH trail on both sides of the MT.

I gotta say that the FR park trails "A" and "B" really scared me and made wish I would have brought my DC forks but everything here is doable. The MT cross course is really nice, as are the DH runs on both sides of the MT.

I really had no idea how wet, muddy, rooty and rocky it is here. Reminds me of riding in BC or Maine.

There are some really challanging stuff in the FR park. The pics on the Net and Rag advertisments don 't do it justice. It is nice to be on a MT that will bottom out my bike.
What are you riding? Looks like a Bullit? What fork is on it?

I'm going next weekend, haven't been there yet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
e[I said:
o]What are you riding? Looks like a Bullit? What fork is on it?

I'm going next weekend, haven't been there yet.
Bullit with 05 Sherman FIrefly's 150mm and 1 1/8" steerer.

SPV evolve rocks on the 05's.

Hit the "C" trail in the FR park first, then "E", "G", "A" and "B"... The drop ins on "A" and "B" are scarey.. the only things here to really scare me.

Hit the MTN cross course, 20' doubles.

BRING TIRES that hook up on wet roots and rocks... trust me. There are more rocks that you can imagine here.

The pics of this place online and in mags do not do it justice.

·
Sure-Fire 'Lectric
91 Posts
Heading up there...

in a day or two. My bud and I are gonna do an overnighter sometime midweek. Look for an old Stab w/a Jr T. and a red Orange 222 w/Boxxer. We'll look for you.

bill

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
yeah man snowshoe is awesome i went a few weeks ago but it was really nasty and just 3 days after norba was in town so the DH course was pretty messed up. and the rain kept me from riding to much. the mountain cross course claimed my frame though. took the second double with not nearly enough speed and cased my front wheel head on. took it down the DH course later that day and the guy running the shuttle noticed a pretty big crack just underneath my head tube. prettty scary. i plan on racing there in september though. mid atlantic cup finals, hope to see ya there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
zerossix said:
yeah man snowshoe is awesome i went a few weeks ago but it was really nasty and just 3 days after norba was in town so the DH course was pretty messed up. and the rain kept me from riding to much. the mountain cross course claimed my frame though. took the second double with not nearly enough speed and cased my front wheel head on. took it down the DH course later that day and the guy running the shuttle noticed a pretty big crack just underneath my head tube. prettty scary. i plan on racing there in september though. mid atlantic cup finals, hope to see ya there.
Hehehe..."the guy running the shuttle noticed [the crack in frame]". Those guys are great! He saved your fat that time. I know Mark and Carey have had an eagle eye on the bikes since my buddy bike fell off the trailer (First time in SN history). I hope you guys are tipping them well.

Mike

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dartman said:
Nice pic...looks like you had a good day with the sun showing that early.

Told you Swampthings are the tires to have up there!!!!

Mike
Hey Mike thanks for all your advice. It has really paid off. Although I have been running Maxxis Mobsters here.

The rental bikes are so nice that I almost wish I would have left my bike at home instead of pulling it apart and putting in the trunk of my car.

This place is really nice. Today my Wife, son and I will be hiking but I plan to ride more tomorrow.

I am used to riding rocky rooty terrain but it is non-stop here. Man the pics of the ladders in the FR park look so much more tame than they are in real life. I hit the one that is the main cover photo in the advertisments and website and went left to hit what looked like a 2" drop. I would say that it was more like 5'. That wasn't the problem it was landing on rocks and roots and trying to steer and brake that you can't see in the photo. I still made it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Axis said:
I am used to riding rocky rooty terrain but it is non-stop here. Man the pics of the ladders in the FR park look so much more tame than they are in real life. I hit the one that is the main cover photo in the advertisments and website and went left to hit what looked like a 2" drop. I would say that it was more like 5'. That wasn't the problem it was landing on rocks and roots and trying to steer and brake that you can't see in the photo. I still made it.
Pictures of that place truley don't do it justice, the trails in the freeride park are really good, the stunt work has been very well thought out, and they are big enough to keep "most" riders very happy.

All the stunts are almost easily twice as big in person. They've been built right! Before I went up for opening weekend I saw the flyer and thought to myself, why so wide? but I get it now, and they have done a good job!!!

gotta love that stump right after that drop you are talkin about, I've seen it eat a few people.

got any riding shots?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Axis said:
Hey Mike thanks for all your advice. It has really paid off. Although I have been running Maxxis Mobsters here.

The rental bikes are so nice that I almost wish I would have left my bike at home instead of pulling it apart and putting in the trunk of my car.

This place is really nice. Today my Wife, son and I will be hiking but I plan to ride more tomorrow.

You're welcome. I'm just sorry I couldn't be up there riding with you.

Everything is bigger and steeper than it looks in the pics. Speakin' of pics check out this poser on the Freeride Park trail map...

It's me.

Mike

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dartman said:
You're welcome. I'm just sorry I couldn't be up there riding with you.

Everything is bigger and steeper than it looks in the pics. Speakin' of pics check out this poser on the Freeride Park trail map...

It's me.

Mike
Cool. I saw that drop but I am riding alone so I passed it up. That one is a lot bigger than it looks. If the run out had been better I would have hit it.

Are there any drops here with decent run outs? I heard there is a practice area with various sized drops... where is it? At home I will do 5' to flat and 6' with a transition and decent run out but here I haven't seen anything with smooth run outs.

I should be coming back here before winter if you want to hook up then.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Axis said:
Cool. I saw that drop but I am riding alone so I passed it up. That one is a lot bigger than it looks. If the run out had been better I would have hit it.

Are there any drops here with decent run outs? I heard there is a practice area with various sized drops... where is it? At home I will do 5' to flat and 6' with a transition and decent run out but here I haven't seen anything with smooth run outs.

I should be coming back here before winter if you want to hook up then.
No practice area yet. The guys just got back from Whistler and their heads are full of ideas. There should be some good stuff in store for next year. The drop in the pic, Lewis' Rock has about the best runout of any of the big ones. But they grow rocks good up there so you are always landing in them.

You need to come back for the Mayhem weekend Sept 11-12. Should be a good time!

BTW What are you doing for internet access up there? The phone line sucks in our condo.

Mike

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dartman said:
No practice area yet. The guys just got back from Whistler and their heads are full of ideas. There should be some good stuff in store for next year. The drop in the pic, Lewis' Rock has about the best runout of any of the big ones. But they grow rocks good up there so you are always landing in them.

You need to come back for the Mayhem weekend Sept 11-12. Should be a good time!

BTW What are you doing for internet access up there? The phone line sucks in our condo.

Mike
]\'Q

I will rent a Demo 9 and try the runs with a bike with DC forks. We are steyaing at the Rimfire so I have a fast Ethernet jack in my room. It looks like I am the only one on the network. I haven't seen too many other guests here.

I will try to see if I can make it back with the Mayhem weekend. Where whould you recommend staying that would be cheeper for one guy?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Axis said:
]\'Q

I will rent a Demo 9 and try the runs with a bike with DC forks. We are steyaing at the Rimfire so I have a fast Ethernet jack in my room. It looks like I am the only one on the network. I haven't seen too many other guests here.

I will try to see if I can make it back with the Mayhem weekend. Where whould you recommend staying that would be cheeper for one guy?
The "Plywood Palace" AKA Spruce Lodge.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.