Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what other people my age think about this:

We have had plans to go to the world cup race in Snowshoe, WV next week. Already have a room and tickets, though I can get a refund on the room.
Today this came across the news: Gov. Justice | W.Va. leads the nation in the acceleration rate of new COVID cases

My son and I are vaccinated, but my wife only has one shot due to an allergic reaction. I'd really like to see the race but traveling to a hotspot during a pandemic seems like a stupid move. Is it? I'm not sure what to do.

Pull the plug and take a local riding trip?
Go and risk bringing it back?
Go and come back and try and try to quarantine? This is the least likely.

Thanks for feedback.

· Registered
7,177 Posts
Only you can decide. I'm fairly covid conscious but being an outside event and vaccinated I would feel comfortable and just wear a mask whenever I'm indoors.
Your wife having a strong reaction is a good sign not a bad sign that means your body's building lots of antibodies. And the worst of it is over. She should just go get her second shot.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

· Registered
349 Posts
If you go I would strongly suggest wearing an N95 respirator when you are sharing air (even outside) with anyone you do not live with. Check the hospital bed availability there and in your home town. There are states that have very little ICU capacity currently so if you were to be in an accident or needed life support it may not be readily available. The COVID patients overwhelming the infrastructure is something to consider.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only you can decide. I'm fairly covid conscious but being an outside event and vaccinated I would feel comfortable and just wear a mask whenever I'm indoors.
Your wife having a strong reaction is a good sign not a bad sign that means your body's building lots of antibodies. And the worst of it is over. She should just go get her second shot.

Her reaction wasn't the standard one from the vaccine, it was something else in the vaccine and it happened right away. Her heart rate jumped to 160 and she passed out. They gave her benadryl and she is fine but they don't recommend a second shot. There is a small percentage of people who have a similar reaction.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go I would strongly suggest wearing an N95 respirator when you are sharing air (even outside) with anyone you do not live with. Check the hospital bed availability there and in your home town. There are states that have very little ICU capacity currently so if you were to be in an accident or needed life support it may not be readily available. The COVID patients overwhelming the infrastructure is something to consider.
Unfortunately W. Virginia has a vaccination rate of 51.5% and patients in the ICU and on ventilators is at all time high according to the article. If the race was in MN, where I live, or another state with high vaccination rate it would be easier to decide. With the grim news I wonder if there is a threshold where they won't allow spectators.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Her reaction wasn't the standard one from the vaccine, it was something else in the vaccine and it happened right away. Her heart rate jumped to 160 and she passed out. They gave her benadryl and she is fine but they don't recommend a second shot. There is a small percentage of people who have a similar reaction.
Are you interested in pushing the limits of your marriage to watch a bike race? If so, go. If not, don't. If the roles were reversed, and she was fully vaccinated and your weren't, how would you feel if she went? It is statistically possible for you to give it to her (the chances of encountering somebody who has an active COVID case are near 100% and your likeliness of getting it are 50-50). How do you think you guys move past this if this situation were to become manifest? Just for a bike race?

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you interested in pushing the limits of your marriage to watch a bike race? If so, go. If not, don't. If the roles were reversed, and she was fully vaccinated and your weren't, how would you feel if she went? It is statistically possible for you to give it to her (the chances of encountering somebody who has an active COVID case are near 100% and your likeliness of getting it are 50-50). How do you think you guys move past this if this situation were to become manifest? Just for a bike race?
Good way to put it in perspective. It is only a bike race.

I know how fast the delta variant is at traveling around. My sister had a breakthrough case already and she is extra careful. They were called back to work in the office for one week before it spread there and she and her two coworkers tested positive. Thanks to the jab she only had light cold symptoms but still had to quarantine. Its nothing to mess with.

5,889 Posts
I went on a week long trip to Oregon back in July. Fully vaccinated, was with all of my buddies who were also fully vaccinated, we rode our bikes and ate at breweries outside on patios. I brought COVID back and gave it to my wife (fully vaccinated) and 2 young kids.

Up to you. I was the sickest I've ever been, despite being vaccinated. Delta doesn't care about your vaccine and the vast majority of people on ventilators aren't vaccinated.

· Registered
223 Posts
I read something last year in the middle of the first wave of Covid. It was from a study in the Netherlands. They claimed that bicyclists (and the Dutch know their biking) gave off a plume of Covid up to twenty feet to the rear. It looked like a legitimate study to me. I stopped going out on the locally popular Greenbelt paved trail and confined myself to midnight rides in the foothills on dirt with a very bright light. I live in Idaho which is just as bad as WV. ICUs are filled to capacity. I wouldn't go anywhere near a gathering of bike racers at this point. I'm fully vaxx'd if that lends any credibility. But bringing it home would not be good.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· aka "SirLurkAlot"
628 Posts
I went on a week long trip to Oregon back in July. Fully vaccinated, was with all of my buddies who were also fully vaccinated, we rode our bikes and ate at breweries outside on patios. I brought COVID back and gave it to my wife (fully vaccinated) and 2 young kids.

Up to you. I was the sickest I've ever been, despite being vaccinated. Delta doesn't care about your vaccine and the vast majority of people on ventilators aren't vaccinated.
Vaccination, from what I've seen from people I know, has little bearing on whether you may contract it. The hope is that it has the potential to reduce severity of symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
7,177 Posts
Vaccination, from what I've seen from people I know, has little bearing on whether you may contract it. The hope is that it has the potential to reduce severity of symptoms.

I'm working for a company with thousands of employees and they did their own analysis on their own employees and shared their results in the last meeting.
92% of those during the latest surge with known covid infections were unvaccinated.
100% of those hospitalized and dead (there are several) were unvaccinated.

· Registered
154 Posts
With the majority of people people now vaccinated in most communities (mine sits at 85%) the back of the napkin statistics of "I know just as many vaccinated people who got sick as those who were not" does not work. If 85% of people are vaccinated, and 5 get sick. That isn't the same as knowing 5 people who were not vaccinated and got sick as they only make up 15% of the population.

In this case, 5 does not equal 5 because of how uneven the distribution between vaccinated/un-vaccinated are.

· aka "SirLurkAlot"
628 Posts
My point is still valid. To be clear, vaccination will not guarantee immunity from contracting Covid.

I wasn't making a statement about whether one should be vaccinated or not. I have no desire to go down that rabbit hole.

I made the point in an effort to help the OP in his original question as he mentioned that he's vaccinated and felt that may be helpful in his decision. As others have stated, it may help but it's no guarantee.

In the end, his choice to go or not go is something only he can decide. It's a personal choice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.