Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My wife took this pic a couple of days ago before I was heading out for a short ride. As you can see the street in front of the house is pretty wide. The snowplow guy has a grader with a special attatchment that extends the blade so its about 20 feet wide-not an exagerration. If we get a decent snowfall he can really bury my truck. Anyway the truck is parked next to the power pole where snowplow guy likes to stack the snow after he is through plowing. Today he came back and tried to stack the snow but the truck was in the way. I am pretty sure snowploiw guy will get even with me in the next couple of days because its snowing again

.My tire set up is Nokian 296 Extreme which is an excellent tire for hardpack and ice. The shoes are Answer Winter Shoes with two pairs of wool socks.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the guys with "single track" minds dont care for snow biking. Its really a matter of finding some of the hard pack streets that arent too heavily traveled. I have done some stuff approaching 40 miles. Its obviously best then its below 30 degrees so you dont have to deal with slush. A lot of drivers seem to took for puddles. I think its the same guys who like to pass as close as they can when its dry.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Last night

was my first official snow ride of the year.. I use Nok's too (WXC300) and love 'em.. especially when I am riding the shoulder of a 2-lane hwy on my way to the trail head.. last night, I was reminded how much work it is to ride in snow vs. dry conditions.. took me about 30-40% more time to cover the same ground. When it's as deep as what you show in the picture, I find it almost impossible to go any distance.. definitely need to get my legs & lungs back up to winter levels!

Q: any tips on gloves? I use a pair of Pearl Amfibs which are OK down to about 15F but they have zero padding in the palms and make my hands go numb. I talked to my LBS mechanic yesterday about maybe wrapping the grips & bar ends with gel-filled tape or use the gel inserts under tape. I can't find winter grade gloves that have the same level of wrist protection as my summer gloves.. need some that will take me down to 0F.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Im surprised he can see you..

The snow plow guys in placer co. here in calif just take the car out and take no liability by blaming the owner for parking it on the street

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I have stayed on the hard pack snow and ice of the streets. I might try one of the snow mobile trails once it gets a little packed, still thats pretty tough to go through. I am not sure how much slower I am. I know the rides are a little shorter. Today I knocked off 17 miles in snow and ice at 12.5 mph. I would probably cover the same stretch on dry pavement at maybe 16 mph on my hardtail. My top speed was 20 mph which is plent fast over snow and ice.

You know what really slows you down is getting dressed. Not counting the helmet and shoes I have 15 articles of clothing I am wearing. I think thats about 10 minutes right there and 5 minutes getting undressed.

My glove situation is probably the weak link. Right now I am wearing Gore Windstopper gloves. They are pretty good down to 30 or so, but no insulation. I will probably go with a glove liner if it gets colder. The gloves were made to use with liners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.