Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'What up',

Hey, so for those of you up on the latest snowboard equipment, how does the higher end Palmer boards, Nidecker boards, boots and bindings, or FLOW bindings stack up? I have a discount with a company that has access to these brands but I know jack about them. Like in any company, the most expensive stuff is choice, just curious how these brands stack up?

I wasn't planning on riding this year but I have an opportunity to ride Feb.-Mar. now so I'm trying to use my discounts as best as I can to make this work financially. I know there's other brands out there that may be better in one way or another but these are the brands I get a discount on so I might as well utilize it.:D

·
Registered
232 Posts

I don't know much about Palmer, Flow or Nidecker latest stuff but would suggest trying out as much as the product as you can before buying. A good deal isnt' that if the product doesnt' fit you well.

Boots are very important and I'd say to try on as many as you can. I just went with a cheaper pair of Vans this year with the BOA setup and have to say the BOA stuff is dialed. See if Nidecker has some. And a note - end of last season I bought a pair of boots but went a half size too big, but got them for a good price on sale. 2 rides on them and I knew I did wrong.

The last 5 or 6 boards I bought were demo'd first. A couple years ago I demo'd a Rome Anhem which I wanted badly but couldn't get a feel for it and glad I didn't buy it. A couple weeks ago I was looking at the Rome Flag and the shop had one to demo. I ended up going down in size a bunch based on the shop guy's rep and how the board felt. Makes putting down the money on a new deck a lot easier when you know you'll like how it feels.

I've ridden with guys on Flow bindings and they were strapped in fast! But I can't comment how they feel. I would say the bindings would be the only things I would get site unseen as anything out today should work fine as long as you buy the right size for your boots.

HTH

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
after working at a ski/board shop, all that i know is that palmers arent the best- they have had issues with delamination and poor customer service.

flow bindings are good if you have short slopes and are in and out of your bindings frequently. they're great here in socal where runs are at most a 10 minute ride. the compromise would be the K2 cinch, as it gives you the tightness of a normal binding and the ease of a Flow. I've used all main types of bindings and settled onto the K2's with several seasons of use w/o issue.

not a clue on Nideckier.

as for the above mention of the vans w/ boa, they only work really well if you have flatish feet.

as a general rule with boots, lace em up as you would for the slopes and walk around the store for a few minutes. if the shop wont let you do this, find another place- boots are pretty much the most important purchase- comfort is key.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I use Flow bindings and they are great for getting in / out of and also hold the boot down very well. Boots are key. They have to be able to keep the heel down when you are laced up. I have some Burtons right now but they give me too much room and my heel slides up in them a bit even though I bought a size smaller than I usually wear. Gotta get another year out of them and then I will move on to something else.
G

·
Registered
232 Posts
SlowSSer said:
as for the above mention of the vans w/ boa, they only work really well if you have flatish feet.
Yeah, my feet are on the flat side so I guess that's why the Vans feel comfy. I was talking more about the BOA system is worth at least checking out. I know DC and Northwave use them as well and I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have ridden the flow bindings for the last 2 seasons, I really like them. got them off ebay for a good price. I mostly ride in bounds at mt. baker and stevens pass. I'd like to get some for my kids too.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
I have flows on both boards now. :thumbsup: Ride them with Vans with Boa's. The only complaint with the Boas is that you can't choose where you want it to be tight. It's all or nothing. It's like you should have two closiers. However, I've never felt so secure in a boot until I've used the Boa system. I ride GNU and Neversummer boards.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Kind of like Burton, Palmers are very expensive for what they are, not bad but nothing special I think. Even with a rebate (depends how much rebate you get), it might be a better deal to buy something else without a deal.

Flow... well you like or you don't, I prefer regular bindings personaly, they are cheaper and lighter. Their boards are nowhere to be seen over here but the company is known for bindings, not boards.

I have only seen entry level products from Nidecker.

If you want to know, I ride a Lib Tech Travis Rice with Ride Alpha Movement bindings and that setup is the best I have ever been on. Lib Tech and Gnu boards are great and have impressive technologies ahead of most big, major companies like Magne-Traction and negative cambers... I highly recommand them: Gnu Rider's Choice, Lib TRS or Trice.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Dan, that negative camber stuff from Lib looks sick! Even tho I just picked up a new deck - I'll check one of those out at the shop next time. Do you have to change your turning style or anything with that design?

Also, isn't Lib Tech one of the only companies that still make their own stuff in house?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
defconfour said:
Hey Dan, that negative camber stuff from Lib looks sick! Even tho I just picked up a new deck - I'll check one of those out at the shop next time. Do you have to change your turning style or anything with that design?

Also, isn't Lib Tech one of the only companies that still make their own stuff in house?
Yes, both Lib Tech and Gnu (both are under the Mervin Manufacturing family) are handmade in Washington State... or near Canada like they say since Bush became President... It's a company worth supporting IMO, even if you like Bush. They are true to their roots and the roots of the sport and they just keep on inventing crazy stuff even if it doesn't mean more money like most companies.

I'm not sure if the Skate Bananas are out yet but I sure would like to try one too, as the yet to be released Banana Hammock (like the Skate Banana but with a negative sidecut for powder only, it's like a surfboard for snow). I think it should ride about the same but with very quick and easy edge to edge transfers and turns, it supposedly very easy to ride.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cool stuff. Yeah, Gnu has been around for a long time - one of the firsts - like Sims, Burton, Barfoot. I'll keep my eyes and ears opened about there stuff more. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
G-Live said:
I use Flow bindings and they are great for getting in / out of and also hold the boot down very well. Boots are key. They have to be able to keep the heel down when you are laced up. I have some Burtons right now but they give me too much room and my heel slides up in them a bit even though I bought a size smaller than I usually wear. Gotta get another year out of them and then I will move on to something else.
G
Could it be the flow bindings that are not holding your heel down securely rather than the boot? I have never tried flow bindings but have been curious. The potential for heel lift seemed high with them, just by looking at how they function.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just used a Burton board in Whistler last week Loved it did everything right. I miss the quick release bindings they used to have, very secure step in and go. Those double ratchets bumed me out a bit not a tight as fit as I would like. You lose the responsiveness of the board. Still it was a good trip. I hear the flows
have the least amount of hassle in and out. I plan on going more and investing in a board and bindings.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Haven't tried Flows for a few years, so maybe they've made some improvements, but when I did try them, I hated them. I could never get a real solid feeling from them like I can with my K2 V 10s or with any of the new Burton bindings with a toe cup. I've never had an issue with strapping in quickly with regular bindings, but maybe a beginner would. Best advice is to try and rent a couple of different types of bindings and see what is comfortable for you. As for boots, I like Burton's lacing system better than the BOA system because you can choose where you want it to be tight a little better. My little brother just got a Never Summer board and he loves it. Everyone I know that works in shops likes them too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks Pit. I will check the Local shop here and see what they have. The burtons sound like a fast entry. I guess it was not really a problem with the ratchets. I just liked the
binding I had last time in Whistler. Seemed like a better connection between the
board and the boot, Which to me felt like better control of the board.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,399 Posts
pitmang1 said:
Haven't tried Flows for a few years, so maybe they've made some improvements, but when I did try them, I hated them. I could never get a real solid feeling from them like I can with my K2 V 10s or with any of the new Burton bindings with a toe cup.
pitmang1 said:
The toe cups are awesome. I have set of Technines with the toe cups and they make a bigg difference to me. They make what was an OK set of bindings into great set..
My little brother just got a Never Summer board and he loves it. Everyone I know that works in shops likes them too.
I can't speak for the whole line, but my T5 is my favorite board I have ridden. Not the best for the park or pipe (not my thing anyway), but incredible for everything else (powder, groomers, crud). I like it better than the Burton Custom that it replaced. Plus it has a three year warrenty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.