Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden the Green Pond loop the past couple of days. First time I've been there so it's nice to see something new. How are the trails up top? Is it worth a $20 all day lift pass?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read on another forum that the upper trails weren't ready (or open) for biking yet. They are all on forest service land, so nothing greater than a 4 percent grade. It is fun to ride the lift if you don't want to do all the uphill to enjoy the down... great scenery but I don't think it is as good as deer valley, IMO.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've snowboarded all that stuff so it's well over 4%. There is more than 4% grade on the Green Pond loop. Plus the map shows "advanced" sections.

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
A loaded question...

What does "worth it" mean? That's always such a difficult question to answer...it depends on what you like, and want to ride. Will you have fun? Yes, you will have fun. Is it like Deer Valley? No (thank God, IMHO). The trails at Snowbasin are more XC oriented, and less DH oriented...think Super G Trees or Sunset at Deer Valley). Are there advanced sections at Snowbasin? No...regardless of what the map says. The advanced trails just have a few more rocks and ruts than the other trails. No drops, no terrain park, no 4X course, nothing like that. I ride the whole thing with my hardtail, and never wish for more bike. So, IMHO, the shredders have Wolf Mountain and some of Deer Valley, and the less Mountain Dewy among us have the rest of Deer Valley and Snowbasin.

KAH said:
I've ridden the Green Pond loop the past couple of days. First time I've been there so it's nice to see something new. How are the trails up top? Is it worth a $20 all day lift pass?

·
on yer left
252 Posts
Lift served there is not really worth it but they are running a shuttle this year that'll pick you up in Ogden Canyon near the dam. This means you can drop from Maples down into ice box or green pond to east or middle fork and then down wheeler's as a 30-40 minute dh without having to climb back up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes the ski runs are more than 4%... however when the forest service cut trails they are not greater than that, maybe in a couple places but average I would say just 4%.

I agree with everything that's been said. Not the best place for lift served riding. The downhill at Deer Valley isn't the greatest... But I think the x-c is more flowy at DV than basin. But if you ride x-c why take the lift?

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
I like taking my big bike to Snowbasin. Do I need it? Nope. But it's still fun. I like pinning it through the rocky sections and that's easier on the big bike. I also like riding the trail from Wheeler Canyon up to the resort. For that I take the Bionicon GW and I wouldn't even consider a shuttle.

Snowbasin is one of my favorite places for photos. The mountains there make for one of the best backgrounds I know of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtnbiker62 said:
What does "worth it" mean? That's always such a difficult question to answer...it depends on what you like, and want to ride. Will you have fun? Yes, you will have fun. Is it like Deer Valley? No (thank God, IMHO). The trails at Snowbasin are more XC oriented, and less DH oriented...think Super G Trees or Sunset at Deer Valley). Are there advanced sections at Snowbasin? No...regardless of what the map says. The advanced trails just have a few more rocks and ruts than the other trails. No drops, no terrain park, no 4X course, nothing like that. I ride the whole thing with my hardtail, and never wish for more bike. So, IMHO, the shredders have Wolf Mountain and some of Deer Valley, and the less Mountain Dewy among us have the rest of Deer Valley and Snowbasin.
Thanks. I was hoping for something to scare me.

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
Snowbasin Photos

Amen to that, brother. I bought a hardtail frame from a builder in England a couple of years ago, and sent him a few action pics taken at Snowbasin. He couldn't have cared less about the bike photos, but he couldn't stop raving about the terrain!

Photo-John said:
Snowbasin is one of my favorite places for photos. The mountains there make for one of the best backgrounds I know of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.