Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-Country, Yes -- Downhill, No (5/5/05 noon)
Snow Summit Mountain Resort says it will no longer transport downhill mountain bikers on the Sky Chair during the summer months for either recreational or competitive purposes. In fact, there will be no more biking of any kind on the ski runs. The resort has taken this action because of liability exposure and forest damage from downhill bikes. Cyclists should know that must meet the all four of the following factors, or risk having their bikes disqualified for lift transportation:
1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds
2. The tire size must be less than 2.5
3. Front shocks must have less than 6 inches of travel
4 . Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed
The resort will continue to haul conventional (that is, cross-country) mountain bikes for the general public on the Sky Chair, with access to off-site Forest Service trails and roads, and Team Big Bear will continue with cross-country racing on the various designated roads and trails

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
No big deal...I guess I will singlespeed when I ride with some of my out of shape friends. The other times I will just climb up Mill Creek Road or go to Fawnskin. My favorite trail up there is Siberia Creek and the lift does not help that much anyway.

My 5-spot: tires are 2.5 front and rear, front fork 6 inches.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
frankenbike said:
This is good to see that XC riders can still use the lifts. I main went to Snow Summitt and BB for the XC stuff anyways. Bummer for the DH riders though.
What are you talking about??? Why bother taking the chairlift anyway? The climb up to the top is great. YOu don't know what you are missing.

mtnbikej

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
seems like a silly requirement

endo verendo said:
The three ring rule is stupid. What about the XC racing bikes running 2x9's?
there's plenty of people running 5" travel bikes that forgo the big ring. I guess if you fall into this category you just have to put a big ring on as your bash guard if you're going to go up there.

YR

G

·
We usually park in Seven Oaks and ride Clark's Grade up to the resort, down into town and have lunch, then ride back.
Saves gas and the cost of lift tickets. Not much sense in riding the lifts with no snow.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
endo verendo said:
It doesn't say all three rings have to be attached to the cranks, maybe just hang a big ring off the handlebars. Or better yet carry an extra granny, it doesn't say you need a good gear range. :D

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
yup

It is what it is guys. Can someone post some good runs w/out the chair lifts?? A map would help~

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
endo verendo said:
Uh oh, they've screwed thenselves out of 3 or 4 lift tickets!! ;) Ah, use your gift of gab...when you show up with a 23lb titanium/carbon fiber wunderbike with a 2x9 and spandex shorts...you're gonna get on the lift.

I'm gonna heave my 5x5 Fisher on the lift and ride out to Siberia Creek and back, like we always do, and I am not once going to complain on the way back to Summit that there aren't enough climbs. :D

·
player hater
143 Posts
Sad...very sad. I've raced XC at BB for years, but still really enjoy riding my FR bike there, too. I wonder why they just didn't close off the DH trails; it's not like the DH'ers ride much on the XC trails anyway...too much pedaling.

sigh

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
mtb26 said:
i would like to see you ride your bullit to the top of summit j.
No longer have my Bullit......got rid of it last year. However, would still be doable.

Did 8 laps last year at the 12hrs of Summit on the the 29er.

mtnbikej

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
A 35 lb, 5'' travel, 2.3-2.4 tires, full suspension mountain bike

SkullCrack said:
Cross-Country, Yes -- Downhill, No (5/5/05 noon)
Snow Summit Mountain Resort says it will no longer transport downhill mountain bikers on the Sky Chair during the summer months for either recreational or competitive purposes. In fact, there will be no more biking of any kind on the ski runs. The resort has taken this action because of liability exposure and forest damage from downhill bikes. Cyclists should know that must meet the all four of the following factors, or risk having their bikes disqualified for lift transportation:
1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds
2. The tire size must be less than 2.5
3. Front shocks must have less than 6 inches of travel
4 . Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed
The resort will continue to haul conventional (that is, cross-country) mountain bikes for the general public on the Sky Chair, with access to off-site Forest Service trails and roads, and Team Big Bear will continue with cross-country racing on the various designated roads and trails
in the right hands is still a pretty potent weapon.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Agreed

endo verendo said:
When all you do is climb climb climb it's sometimes fun to go out there and just go DH all day.
You know you've been right on twice in this thread. Now I admit I have been a bit hard on the DH folks on this board but your damn right it's fun to go DH all day and not have to work for it. Let's face it the reason we bike up for hours is to get a little down.

Thank fully I'm cool in almost every respect with my new bike, ~30lbs., 5.75" in the rear, 140mm in the front, 2.5" max tire. But the three ring rule is just stupid. I've been running 2x9 for almost 4 years now and never missed my big ring. So I guess for days at BB I will need to remove my guard an put on a ring, stupid just stupid.

So it sounds like many of the trails within the resort might be close. What about some of the good runs that were off on the sides, like Fall Line? Any word if those will be closed too?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.