Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-Country, Yes -- Downhill, No
Snow Summit Mountain Resort says it will no longer transport downhill mountain bikers on the Sky Chair during the summer months for either recreational or competitive purposes. In fact, there will be no more biking of any kind on the ski runs. The resort has taken this action because of liability exposure and forest damage from downhill bikes. Cyclists should know that must meet the all four of the following factors, or risk having their bikes disqualified for lift transportation:

1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds
2. The tire size must be less than 2.5
3. Front shocks must have less than 6 inches of travel
4 . Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed

The resort will continue to haul conventional (that is, cross-country) mountain bikes for the general public on the Sky Chair, with access to off-site Forest Service trails and roads, and Team Big Bear will continue with cross-country racing on the various designated roads and trails

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Must have 3 rings? What kinda crap is that? I use a bash guard because I dont like having a flesh eating devise on my bike! AND, if I had a "third" ring, it would only make me faster on the downhill fireroads! I will never take my hard earned cash up there!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
WWT said:
Since the mountain is still covered in snow, it takes some of the pain away. Plus, I know how to shuttle Westridge...
we are there...I have a buddy who rides...he has a cabin I can use anytime...damm it would be closed, but shuttling is another story

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
we are there...I have a buddy who rides...he has a cabin I can use anytime...damm it would be closed, but shuttling is another story
I would be down for shuttling those runs, but would that be considered trespassing? Serious question.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Ok, I can't help myslef . . .

Picture if you will, the lift "monkey" . . .

Ok, let's see here . . (places bike on scale) hum, 34 and 1/2 pounds, ok so far . . .

spending the next 15 minutes trying to read the side of the tires to make sure they are not too "BIG" . . . . (or maybe they have some sort of "calipers" to check the tire size)

checking the front fork with a tape measure, and not being able to read the tape measure (because everybody knows "lift monkeys" ain't the sharpest tools in the toolbox)

AND then, and only then finding a bash guard and say, "Sorry Bro. yo ain't got 3 rings"

RIGHT!

Get an Inferno with a 66rc and a lightish wheelset with a tubeless setup and your are set to ride the "craptastic" trails that are left at the bear . . .

I DON'T THINK SO . . .

·
HardLuck
4 Posts
big bear riding

there's fire roads from the back you can drive up it starts at the big bear ski lot. you keep driveing past that. I've shuttle befor up there. there is some killer trails out side of the ski runs. F-them if we can't ride on the ski runs theres still great rideing up there. And plus thats going to kill there bissness in the summer up there..

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
This is all old news...

FUCCK BIG BEAR ALREADY!!!!

It's over. Get over it. We're never riding there again. The only way would be if the owners of Mammoth bought the place.

Shuttling the "illegal" trails would not be a good idea, since the forest service up there hates us already.

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
403 Posts
Well let's see....put some real 2.35s on the Gemini....bolt on a third chainring just for the lift ride up and swap back at the top. Temporarily set the rear suspension to 140mm from the usual 170. lock down the Breakout+ into 5" mode. Yeah that'll work....if I didn't have a spine.

Those people can eat a dick in my opinion. (Specifically that of Team Big Bear.) I'm going to Baldy, and leaving my bike the way it was meant to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.