Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going on a 3 day riding trip in a couple weeks. One day we will get lift tickets for snow summit. But the other dayes we want to get some climbing in. Whats the easiest climb to get to the top of snow summit without taking the lifts?

Thanks

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Take Bristlecone Rd (next to Summit, from the parking lot) to Cedar. Ceder to Club View. Club View becomes 2N10. 2N10 is the gateway to all.

I took Willow instead of Cedar on this ride, but as you can see on the map, they both go to Club View. I also took Fern and Plumbers (singletrack) on one trip up. It is harder, but also a fun climb.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1734479028

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Unfortunately there is no easy way to the top, besides the chair lift. Either 2N10 off of Clubview or town trail/ 2N08/ 1E01 from Snow Summit are the easiest, but still not easy.
I'm a board member on the Big Bear Valley Trails Foundation and this is my major sticking point when it comes to trails and the designing of new trails. For some reason we tend to build trails that have too steep of pitches and corners that are too tight, especially for our soil type. Skyline trail,IMO, is a horribly designed trail, although there are some great sections of the trail, it suffers from the problems I mentioned earlier...but it still better than what we had 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've gone up club view a couple times, it's a bit of a grind but nothing horrible. I usually do a loop and end up coming down/out 2N08 to T.T. and it seems that's steeper there than 2N10 from club.

And Hurricane Jeff considering you guys had to stay within the footprint of the existing road I think skyline is an awesome trail, only done it 2 or 3 times but never thought anything was crazy steep or tight except for maybe one or two of the rocky turns I can't maneuver, but every trail should have some features that are just above your abilities

Looks like about 1k climb in 5 miles:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2352785699

Longer loop:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1128755390

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I honestly think the trails around Big Bear are wonderful. Are there hard spots? Sure, it's mountain biking. There are just enough hard spots to keep it interesting. My favorite place to race XC. I would have to think hard about something to complain about*

*I would prefer if we used more ST for the races, way too much fireroad. BUT, I AM NOT COMPLAINING!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Sidewalk, I agree, the trails in Big Bear are definitely better than the alternative of riding fire roads and some of the illegal, non purpose trails that we used to ride.
IMO, trails should be built to suit almost everyone who could use these multi-use trails, Skyline does not.
Skyline, which starts at Bristlecone, to Fern, to Plumbers is not a great trail for those who are less fit, less skilled and that have a below average bike. The closer the trail is to the trail head, they should be designed with less grade and more line of site, because most users stay within a mile or two of where they park. If you ride Fern or Plumbers from the trail heads, these do not fit into this category. Also when designing trails, you should not exceed a 10% grade if possible, these trails have a lot of sections 14-18%, which promote skidding and erosion.
There are a lot of tight corners, many of them blind, which lead to skidding and erosion. The soil type here is mostly decomposed granite which just doesn't hold up well to shifting ,braking and weather.

While I ride these trails almost daily and can ride any part of trail, I find the constant shifting and braking an annoyance. I've also designed and built trails for almost 30 years and have ridden all over the country and see what works and what doesn't.

We are working on ( planning stages) "Skyline" on the north side of the valley, from Hanna Flat to Gold Mountain to the dump. I will closely follow and offer suggestions on proper trail building procedure and still design it to be fun and challenging while being easy to maintain.

My favorite legal trail in big Bear? Hanna Flats/ Grout Bay.

·
GONE
27,022 Posts
Do the park by lift.

Spend the other times riding the stuff out of and around the park:
Skyline (multiple sections)
Pineknot
Fern
Pirates
Fall Line
Cabin (89)
Grandview

·
Registered
888 Posts
As already mentioned 2N10 from Clubview is the easiest, I'd still rather climb the Skyline singletrack in the same area (end of Clubview) because it's prettier and you don't have to worry about getting dusted or run over by trucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im going on a 3 day riding trip in a couple weeks. One day we will get lift tickets for snow summit. But the other dayes we want to get some climbing in. Whats the easiest climb to get to the top of snow summit without taking the lifts?

Thanks
Just bumping this thread again as I'll be going in a couple of weeks too. Do you have any experiences to share perhaps?

·
Robertson
1,032 Posts
I ride in Big Bear a lot and do at least 1-2 laps each time I'm at Snow Summit peddling up instead of the chairlift. Of the main two options (2N10 off of Clubview or town trail/ 2N08/ 1E01 from Snow Summit) I use the latter if trying to do trails in the park (it seems more direct to me and less cars throwing up thick dust clouds) though I'll take 2N10 to do laps on Pirates/Plumbers/Fall Line. However, if I had multiple days in the Valley I would probably do 1 day at Skypark, 1 day at Snow Valley, 1 day on lifts at Snow Summit (and ride some of the out of park DH trails like Fall Line then) and 1 day riding other more XC trails in the Valley (Skyline on south side or Hanna and others on North Side)

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I do that ride all the time. It is not easy, but it beats riding up the road and using 2n10. It matters when you ride it if you will encounter other riders. I've ridden all the way to the top and never encountered any riders, other times, I'm dodging careless idiots.
As mentioned in these posts, there are several ways of riding to get to the top, none of them are real easy. IMO,the easiest trail to the top would have to be town trail, 2n08, to upper 1e01.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
All of them are easy......any bike with gears can easily climb to the top.

having raced up there in the past, there is nothing horrible.

Reactions: hillty

·
Registered
105 Posts
Start at the other end
I second this. Aspen Glen picnic area > Cabin 89 > 2N10 > Skyline all the way around to where it connects with Radford/Pirates. Then you have a choice of heading down Plummers/Fern or Fall Line (less hikers) > Bristlecone > Towne > roadie action back to picnic area. Personally, I think this might be the best one day survey ride of the XC stuff.

That being said, going up Fern/Plummers or 2N10 really isn't that hard. I just prefer riding the loop in reverse. You get some intermittent short downhills to break up the climb as opposed to a big slog up 2N10 to start.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
None of it is really hard that hard. I mention that, depending on fitness or bike, that there is really no easy way to the top as the OP mentioned. I also bring up the fact that Skyline unfortunately is not made for beginner riders, which was the whole purpose of Skyline being built.
Living in Big Bear, I ride all of these mentioned trails( and some not mentioned trails) all the time.
I'll occasionally ride Skyline out and back, around 30 miles of singletrack, sometimes on my rigid gravel bike or hardtail singlespeed..... That is hard!.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.