Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been doing a few snow rides(4 this season)...noticed my tires are taking a beating....anyone else experience the same thing?

They are Specialized "The Captain" 29 X 2.0 Dual Compound Armadillo Elite's , has been a great tire up till now....I upgraded to the Armadillo Ellite's because the sidewall was supposed to be tougher.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Stans....

....using tubes. But your point on how clean they are is interesting....all i did was bring the bike in after the ride...no cleaning...and they are amazingly clean! I am starting to think the snow which had been on the ground for about 10 days must be freezing and thawing.....must be abrasive as ever. Gotta ask the others whom I rode with if they have any unusual wear.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Snow is increadably abrasive , hell on sidewalls .

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
the extra strengh is a layer of kevlar mesh, the rubber is the same thickness.
if you're riding on ice get some Nokian extremes with studs, they wear like iron

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Never seen anything like that, but I imagine a frozen crust that you are breaking through could do that. Or just very granular (?) frozen snow.

First I thought you hit something under the snow but it looks too uniform for that.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
JeffSkisMontana said:
....using tubes. But your point on how clean they are is interesting....all i did was bring the bike in after the ride...no cleaning...and they are amazingly clean! I am starting to think the snow which had been on the ground for about 10 days must be freezing and thawing.....must be abrasive as ever. Gotta ask the others whom I rode with if they have any unusual wear.
Bring your wheels inside, up to room temperature, and smear a thin coat of Shoe Goo on the sidewalls where it is abrading. Let it set up for 24 hours and cure up. That should help a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts