Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got out for a couple of hours today. Only the toes on my right foot got a little numb near the end of the ride. I thought the trees would shelter the trails from the snow, however they were almost completely (lightly) covered. I suspect the snow was initially ON the trees and got blown off in the strong winds the last few days. The only clothing changes from a normal 40 degree winter ride was to add a rain/wind parka, toe covers, and ear protection under my helmet.

Trails were frozen but traction was good with a light, crusty layer of snow.

Thermometer I placed on my seat was reading 28 degrees (see inset) - Lake was frozen

I walked the bridge on the way in; traction felt okay, so I rode it on the way out

I got to ride a new section of trail for the first time today.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
MarkHL said:
I got to ride a new section of trail for the first time today.
Cool pics man, must be that "New" not so secret trail you guys are working on out there. You guys went with turfstones to reinforce that dip i see.... You guys using alot of those out there? i'm pretty excited to get out there and lend a hand pretty soon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nice pics Mark, thanks for those. I rode Friday (before the big freeze) on that new section, and found it in need of some regrading. We kind of roughed through the construction, and didn't get to put on the final touch. I wasn't a big fan of the turfstones, being non-native materials. But we had them available, we didn't have to carry them far, so we thought we would give it a try for that section. We'll see how it works if/when water collects in that area.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
K.C. said:
Nice pics Mark, thanks for those. I rode Friday (before the big freeze) on that new section, and found it in need of some regrading. We kind of roughed through the construction, and didn't get to put on the final touch. I wasn't a big fan of the turfstones, being non-native materials. But we had them available, we didn't have to carry them far, so we thought we would give it a try for that section. We'll see how it works if/when water collects in that area.
Yah little surprised to see it outside of Colonnade, but to me it's an appropriate application. For a seasonal wet low section, the organics will eventually obscure most of it. It's seems like it will be low profile, and it probably saved you quite a bit of time from harvesting rock on site?

i think if you can use rock it's a better look for sure in most instances. But for sections of fall line particularly where you're going to have issues with braking bumps, i think it's a better fix than rock.

Of course this is a new build so you're not "supposed" to have any fall line trails to deal with.:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Qben and I road around Little Cranberry in the ACFL today before things started to warm (then freeze again). The trail was in great condition - talk about a workout- we have a good 6 inches of the white stuff up here.

I can't say so much for the roads up here- Im not sure the city of Anacortes owns a snowplow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.