Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See lots of questions on trails and snow melt out status and this is a good tool to at least know if something is absolutely out. The resolution isn't the greatest so when it gets close to melting out you'll need real beta from the ground but it's quite useful to know "that's going to be a few weeks/months" or not.

Just download the latest kmz and open in google earth

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

This is today's file for the Goat Creek area, you can see some snow still on Tumwater mountain. Lot's of snow still on Sunrise Peak, Strawberry Mountain, Mount Margaret, etc

Blue Colorfulness Purple Font Magenta

Kachess
Blue Colorfulness Purple Atmosphere Electric blue

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for sharing Clinton,
Very cool site. I do wonder how it compares to what is really on the ground tucked into those north facing valleys, like Osborne and Goat.

I had to sneak a peak at South Lake Tahoe and now i'm wondering what will be open at the end of July.

Peter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing Clinton,
Very cool site. I do wonder how it compares to what is really on the ground tucked into those north facing valleys, like Osborne and Goat.
I think it's a really good "no go" indicator as in you know 100% something is out if there is snow snowing up on the graphic.

Then it probably goes to "worth a check"

Based on what I see for Goat Creek I'm thinking it's probably mostly snow free and "worth a check" but I bet there are a few patches here and there on the N facing slopes that wouldn't show up on this ;)

Now we just need one of these for blowdowns

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
...I do wonder how it compares to what is really on the ground tucked into those north facing valleys, like Osborne and Goat...
Data point: I went through Fishhook Flats on Monday (mudtacular) and saw a few very small patches tucked onto the north facing part of the meadows by the trees, but nothing continuous. Today's telemetry....
Nature Atmosphere Purple Atmospheric phenomenon Violet

That purple bit doesn't amount to much in reality but I suppose it *might* be in the right localized conditions. OTOH stuff sitting under a large pale pinkish area I'd safely assume still isn't ready, which is meshing pretty well with what I'm seeing from a distance.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Doug's heading to Mossy Rock for the weekend. I'm going to try to convince him to check out Goat Cr. I read one initial hiking report that was par for the course for early May...able to hike 2 miles to the trail junction, then the blow downs start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.