Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some dry bike path along C-470 going south from the Rooney parking lot--not much but if you do enough back and forth you can actually convince yourself you've "got a ride in". Parking way south of Rooney accesses a stretch of bike path that seems hit and miss for awhile, but "rideable". There is a road in that area that doesn't seem to have much traffic, so I'm going to hit that Saturday morning because...

Snow on Saturday afternoon and if you look at the five day forecast it begins sucking on Saturday, doesn't suck so much Sunday, then sucks worse and worse (snow each day and falling temps back to what we had a few weeks ago) all through the week. I'm sure snowboarders/skiers are doing a happy dance at that forecast but I think I speak for the majority here when I say "enough!"

I remember last year the Green Mountain service road was rideable at least once a week. Today it was just white white white as far as the eye could see, in all directions. Kinda pretty, actually.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There's a path that parallels 58 going into golden. It's on the southern slopes of N Tbl Mtn. I saw someone riding it today. It looked totally dry. There's also a path just north of the intersection of 93 and 64th ave that is dry. I've never ridden it, but it's the one that switchbacks up the mesa (just north of the water tower). It looks kind of cool. You might check either of those out. I'm sure that there must be plenty of bikepaths out there that are dry.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, searching out dry bike paths!

Fat Elvis said:
There's a path that parallels 58 going into golden. It's on the southern slopes of N Tbl Mtn. I saw someone riding it today. It looked totally dry. There's also a path just north of the intersection of 93 and 64th ave that is dry. I've never ridden it, but it's the one that switchbacks up the mesa (just north of the water tower). It looks kind of cool. You might check either of those out. I'm sure that there must be plenty of bikepaths out there that are dry.
Something no self-respecting mountain biker would do if there were dry trail alternatives. But, a rider's gotta do what a rider's gotta do to keep their sanity this winter.

·
Registered
944 Posts
xcguy said:
Something no self-respecting mountain biker would do if there were dry trail alternatives. But, a rider's gotta do what a rider's gotta do to keep their sanity this winter.
Heh. And no self respecting Coloradoan would bash having snow! Its winter, learn to ski.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
I figured you guys would have some great powder up there with all this recent snow. Maybe it's all used up though. Well, it isn't over yet. I'm sure there is lots more to come before biking season is back so get those skis and snowboards ready. My poor snowboard is sitting here feeling all worthless- for now.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
schnauzers said:
Just a 48" base
Its January. A 50" base in January seems pretty decent to me with 2.5 months of typically heavier snowfall I'm pretty optimistic yet.

Fresh snow coming in tomorrow, no biking again but I'll cope.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Snow, cold, sweet:) Damn warm temps ruined the Pugsley riding the last couple of days, too mushy. I'm gettin all bummed out because I haven't been able to do a good ride in the last 3 days;)

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Sweet! Well, sucky for riding, but at least I'll have fresh stuff to play in for Monday and Tuesday before heading back to work!

This is all going to bypass Fruita/Junction, right? Right???? Please say yes. I'm really wanting to get over there for my extended time off mid February.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snow came in overnight--rats!

Oh, well, I got in some kind of riding yesterday. Not to sound too corny here but at least now I have a fresh memory of being on an older bike that used to be my main ride. The 1998 XTR gruppo shifted as sweet as I remember and even the V brakes felt strong! I used to ski but the knees can't handle that anymore. It seems like it's been the past 3 or 4 years that I could get my Green Mountain service road climb in once a week all winter, so any early trip to Moab I'd be in some kind of climbing shape. Just once a week was all it took to satisfy my riding jones, so going 6 weeks in between rides this winter is tough. For those of you new to the Front Range that used to be the norm. At least I skied back then!

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
You really should try skiing again. With the changes in technology over the last few years the skis practically turn themselves and I can't see how skiing powder can really be that jarring to the knees. If you can do squats, you can ski today...

From my point of view it has not snowed enough (in the mountains where it really matters).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Vail has a 31" base. Here in Breck it's about 39". Not much powder left, although you can find some good smooth, cream cheesy wind blown up higher on the mtn. I'm trying to make the best of it, but I'd certainly prefer riding my mtb down at Red Rocks. That may have to wait 2-3 months this season. I think Moab trails may be the closest, mostly dry riding there is right now. I'm going down in a few weeks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I want a Pugs :(.

Couple inches of fluffy stuff here in Morrison/Lakewood. I don't think this will really make a difference on the timetable as to when trails will be rideable again. I took a little drive and walk through Bear Creek Lake Park yesterday on my way home and its going to be a while until the trails in there are going to be rideable. Looked like someone on a Pugs had played around on them though :).
-Jeff

·
2,856 Posts
jcospoco said:
too bad it is bluebird up here in Summit County. it is sad and backwards that Denver seems to be getting more snow than the mtns. tough winter to be a mtb'er in Colorado. Can't wait for Moab.
Pbville was lovely today! STS and goldenboy chatting with a local after their first race of the year.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
schnauzers said:
Which ain't so great either right now. Just a 48" base and most of it is used and abused granular right now. I didn't waste my $$$ on that back east and I'm not doing it here.
To that I respond a) I completely understand; b) get some skins and earn some turns for free (plus it is great exercise) if you don't want to pay money at the resort; and, c) part of wanting the snow is that so much of our water supply and the health of the forests we love to bike in during the summer are dependent on a plump snowpack.

·
Registered
511 Posts
scrublover said:
This is all going to bypass Fruita/Junction, right? Right???? Please say yes. I'm really wanting to get over there for my extended time off mid February.
Yes, BUT...... We still have MORE than enough snow on the ground. The wife and I have been going for walks every day and most every trail we have walked is still snow-packed. Where there's no snow, there's just mud. LOTS of mud.....

Dry in mid-February? I seriously doubt it, and I'm an optomist. Maybe Phoenix or Vegas. We need a serious warm-up, and 30-40 degrees for high temps is not cutting it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.