Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m on a solo bike trip and I’m currently in Moab. One of my goals is to get in a decent ride or 2 above the tree line. My plan was to leave Moab Monday and work my way east from here, stopping at Phill’s, then Durango and maybe Crested Butte or Salida, then head home to Michigan. I need to head home on the 4th.

Getting a decent ride in above the tree line is kind of important to me. 2 trips ago I did 401, endowed and knocked my head pretty good and was thinking about getting checked out only to get a call and do a marathon drive home do to a family emergency. Last trip I got a short ride in at Engineer mnt and then the weather changed.
So it’s a thing now.

I just saw that the weather is taking a turn next week and I’m wondering if I need to cut Moab short and try and get a good ride in above the tree line. My guess is this means a decent drive and hopefully getting a ride in Sunday before it turns. Any thoughts from you guys that live here?

fyi. As far as what kind of ride I’m capable of or want, I consider myself intermediate +.
I climbed the Pass Trail up to Engineer and got pick at the bottom of the Engineer mnt trail without issue and would have explored a little more up top except for time constraints. I thought it was pretty cool up there.

Thanks for your help
Steve

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weather usually shifts about this time so it’s going to be a crapshoot either way.

Which trail above tree line are you looking at?
Ya, I’m gathering the weather is crapshoot and the forecasts seem to be extending the rain as I go. Makes it harder to plan my next move.
My thoughts were Durango and Engineer Mnt. Perhaps the Pass trl up, spending some time up top either as an out and back or taking either Coal Creek or Engineer Mnt trl back down. Not sure I’m enthused about riding the road back to the truck though. The end goal is something like the Monarch Crest shuttle and I want to do a ride at elevation with less commitment first.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How many trails are really above tree line? 401 is not, part of it is open with no trees, but the tree line is way above where the trail is. What is tree line in CO, like 12,000-12,500 feet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.