Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a lot as of late, but this week I have not made it out a single time due to weather.

it snowed the last three days, and today has brought cold weather and clouds. It snowed over a foot at the base of Big Sky! :shocked: Its about 50 in the valley, probably 30-40 in the mountains.

How do you get motivated to ride in the cold? I just can't seem to make it out especially since it looks like it could rain/hail any minute.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
MikeyMT said:
I have been riding a lot as of late, but this week I have not made it out a single time due to weather.

it snowed the last three days, and today has brought cold weather and clouds. It snowed over a foot at the base of Big Sky! :shocked: Its about 50 in the valley, probably 30-40 in the mountains.

How do you get motivated to ride in the cold? I just can't seem to make it out especially since it looks like it could rain/hail any minute.
Didn't they tell you it's winter a lot in Montana?

If I don't feel like riding in the cold then I go do something else.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You gotta have your clothing set-up right them the temp's really don't matter.

I feel for you we got about 3 inches last night, fortunately the roads didn't freeze, I have had enough of it. Still got in 20 km today, just commuting though.

Sunny and 23 C on the weekend.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
buccilli15 said:
Snowboard?
my room mates and I are actually going this weekend. Beartooth pass opens up and you can shuttle some burly lines. Hopefully the snowpack will be good, with the weather we have been having it might be deadly conditions down there.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's not so much the temps etc that mess up my MTB riding here, it's the fact that the local trails won't be in shape to ride until the snow melts and things dry out. Part of the reason I bought a road bike a couple seasons ago was to extend the season - you just can't count on MTB riding regularly near Bozeman until later in the spring.

(No Mikey, just because I ride a road bike does not mean I drive an Audi or hang out at Plonk giving you weird looks while you drink hurricanes and presumably make an a-- out of yourself for attention).

If you find a dry spot (P-stone etc), the cold is easy to deal with. Leg warmers or long riding pants, full finger gloves, some type of windbreaker, and maybe a balaclava.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
FYI the ski/board camp on the Gardiner Headwall (I think that's the name) isn't opening this year due to lack of snow.

I was supposed to meet a friend for some riding near Red Lodge but that report of no snow changed our minds. Plan B was to go to Cooke City, where there is still snow but much less than last year, but the weather forecast for the weekend up there made him decide not to make the drive from SD.

I'd be interested to hear what you find and how the weather turns out.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wa-wa-wait....you are telling me not all roadies in Bozeman fit my description? lol

Maybe that was a harsh comment, I do admit. Don't tell anyone, but my room mate is a roadie, as is one of my best friends. But I agree with the lack of dry trails around here. It has not been too bad this year honestly, we got so little snow this past winter that a lot of trails dried up fast.

A buddy and I tried riding shafthouse up twoards fairy lake last week and we got really high up. Had to cross snow a lot, and finally got to a point where it just did not make sense to go any higher, but it was great still.

I just have a hard time bundling up to ride a bike I guess.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
MikeyMT said:
A buddy and I tried riding shafthouse up twoards fairy lake last week and we got really high up.
I read that the Fairy Lake road was being relocated to start at the top of Battle Ridge this year. Did you notice if that has happened yet?

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not see anything like that. We went way past fairy lake to the other end of shafthouse trailhead. Right near the road for flathead pass. It was a good ride, really fast. We saw a bunch of wildlife, was hoping to see a bear from a distance but no such luck.

·
cheers...
61 Posts
here in banff I tell people we have 7 months of winter and 5 months of bad weather.

BTW - woke up to a couple inches of snow on the ground this morning. temp - just above freezing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
try to see the fun side!

MikeyMT said:

We had a lot of fun on a recent trip with the snow - we were at quite high elevations and there was still loads of it, at least a metre deep in places, so it was either try to ride over it, or carry/push.

I have a couple of amusing videos of our feeble attempts to ride on snow. Closer to home I quite enjoy riding in snow, it's quite challenging, and if you fall off it cushions your impact! Try to see the fun side :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I like the saying that in MT we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of guests.

Jessep, I'm not sure about conditions at those other spots but I suspect P-stone has some snow higher up. I'm tired of traveling so far to bike though. Fact is, I spent 9 days in and around Fruita trying to get my fill before embarking on a fence building project that will kill my next few weekends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts