Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
not really a noob
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to attempt to make snow jumps for my bike and was wondering if there is any trick to making them

·
crumb
890 Posts
hardcore newbie said:
i am going to attempt to make snow jumps for my bike and was wondering if there is any trick to making them
water all over them and let them freeze overnight, do that a couple of times so theyre solid

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
hardcore newbie said:
Don't get lazy! It takes time so don't hit it before it's solid.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
I built about 8 different sets of snow jumps last winter. This winter I plan on doin a pump track and a DS style track with berms, whoops, and jumps. The best jumps are made when the snow is super sticky, dont even attempt it with powder unless you have a tractor. I usually put down 4 coats of water, wait for it to freeze. Then rake the snow while I put down another coat to give it a rippled effect for traction. Then put down 2 more coats after that. It defenitly takes alot of time to get them rideable, atleast 4-6 hours. I got a couple short video clips of 1 set of my jumps last season. This was one of my favorite sets. Defenitly not the biggest jumps, but unless you got the terrain, time, and resources you'll only be able to make them so big. Bigger they are the more water you have to use. I usually flattened them and started from ground zero after every storm. Enjoy.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mountainbike/100_1354.mov

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mountainbike/100_1164.mov

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mountainbike/100_1157.mov

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Sudo said:
upload to put file. need to be a member for that site.
It takes 1 minute, requires an email and password, thats it. They dont even send you junk mail. I posted those video clips to help the thread starter give an idea what he could create/what it could look like in the end. If he wants to take advantage of that information he can move his fingers on the keyboard (0mg!), type some keys (g4sp!), and watch them. Sorry, I'm not kaitering to everyone else on the site, they want to see the video clips, which arent NWD6 hu(kz 0f d34th (s0rry), then they can take the minute to register! :)

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Man, I was just about to post about making jumps out of snow. Perfect timing. Anyways, I thought of laying down some sand on top of the jump for traction, good idea?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
It takes 1 minute, requires an email and password, thats it. They dont even send you junk mail. I posted those video clips to help the thread starter give an idea what he could create/what it could look like in the end. If he wants to take advantage of that information he can move his fingers on the keyboard (0mg!), type some keys (g4sp!), and watch them. Sorry, I'm not kaitering to everyone else on the site, they want to see the video clips, which arent NWD6 hu(kz 0f d34th (s0rry), then they can take the minute to register! :)
why don't you do like others and give us Your password and user name

·
Registered
619 Posts
hardcore newbie said:
right now its grainy powder snow
i would suggest making massive piles of snow asap, and the basic shape of what ever you want. cuz if you live in the northest, and i think i remember you mentioning that some while ago. we're getting massive freezing rain on thurs night. so that will make for a solid foundation that shoudl last a while. then next time it snows cover the ice with a good amount of snow. and harden that...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Salt mixed with snow helped us build ours. Since it melts some snow to make it hard. But doesnt really melt it real bad, like water would. Make them, ride them... then pack them again and leave over night. Our jumps were not ridable at all, at first. Then we figured the salt out. But if you love your bike more than I do. You might as well use some sand or something. But the salt works when you leave it for a while. It makes a really good outter shell that should be good for 2-4 hours to ride.

Alex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts