Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a horrible windy day, today beautiful and snowy. Time for a ride.

Little dog and I rode the lower Whore's Mountain loop, we planned on going higher and farther but the ground was not frozen so we just played low.

Anyone ride the lower Valley?

Cheers,

Bean

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Here's my crosspost from the Passion page...

So it snowed...

I woke to a few inches of snow in Fruita today. What a great thing, as I was actually looking forward to the first snow ride. I tried to get my son to go with me, but he looked at me sideways as though I had just lost my mind. Oh well, at 16 he's rather capricious, and I think he was disappointed in missing out after he heard about the ride. Anyway, the sun came out and it made for a rather patriotic ride: red sandstone, white snow and blue sky.
Attached Images

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet lower valley shots. I couldn't justify the drive since Horse Mtn is in my backyard. The shots were my first attempt at timer self protrait shots so they were kind of set up. The only place I could set the camera up with Mt Garfield in the background doens't happen to be some of the better riding.

Scott,

I hear that the BLM is thinking favorably about the new trail east of town. Say the word and I'll be up there with tools in hand.

Bean

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
PetEKes, H-Cross, Miramonte were pretty much perfect this afternoon. Didn't get wet enough or warm enough to make mud or ice. Singlespeeded, and didn't walk any more than usual. None of the icy rock-piles on 'Cross were icy at all. I've seen it more slippery in summer when it's dry.

Good fun!

Somebody else had been out there, so someone knows.

I was hoping it would warm up and dry out, but now I'm hoping it'll stay cold. Doesn't really matter what I hope, though. So I hope I deal with whatever comes our way.

--Greg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow! All you snow riders are hard core! I've been trying to wrap my mind around going out and riding in the snow for three winters now and haven't been able to do it and instead end up going skiing or just sitting on my butt drinking coffee.
I'd like to claim the last ride on Free Lunch last Saturday afternoon with my sister and thetreadway. It was awesome! The push up from Little Park was pretty windy and that first little drop was a no-go because of the wind, but once we were down over the edge it was great.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I hate you all! :D
I'd hafta drive 3 hours to find trails that are ridable. We got 4 feet of snow on everything and it was -17f yesterday morning. Warmed up tp 7f this morning, but there was 5 inches of fresh. My knees suck so bad from skiing bumps for 35 years that I don't even ski anymore. Looks like a road trip to Phoenix next month. WooHoo! South Mountain!

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Anonymous said:
I hate you all! :D
I'd hafta drive 3 hours to find trails that are ridable. We got 4 feet of snow on everything and it was -17f yesterday morning. Warmed up tp 7f this morning, but there was 5 inches of fresh. My knees suck so bad from skiing bumps for 35 years that I don't even ski anymore. Looks like a road trip to Phoenix next month. WooHoo! South Mountain!
He said, "South Mountain..."

Jealous...

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
Bring your lights. Snow and frozen are no problem. Mud is not recommended and, in my opinion, pretty much all the popular local trails should be avoided when muddy as it can tear the heck out of them and the mud has a tendency to cling to a bike until the wheels will not roll.

Note: If you want to ride the mud, there are heaps of slimy, gooey, sticky trails north of GJ off 27 1/4 Road, for instance. Have fun. The polite thing is to ride the popular trails when dry or frozen.

Best bet for frozen is after dark or early morning. Lights make this nice.

--Greg

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Bikeabout said:
Bring your lights. Snow and frozen are no problem. Mud is not recommended and, in my opinion, pretty much all the popular local trails should be avoided when muddy as it can tear the heck out of them and the mud has a tendency to cling to a bike until the wheels will not roll.

Note: If you want to ride the mud, there are heaps of slimy, gooey, sticky trails north of GJ off 27 1/4 Road, for instance. Have fun. The polite thing is to ride the popular trails when dry or frozen.

Best bet for frozen is after dark or early morning. Lights make this nice.

--Greg
I don't do mud. No one should, especially with the hydrology, geology etc. in our State. If they were muddy, I was thinking of just bringing the roadie or fixie.

Great idea about an a.m. ride, however. I'll have to start a new thread in a couple days asking for more timely info. I was hoping for warmpth, now, I'm hoping for an inversion. :)

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
Yesterday morning was good. Snow on almost everything. I hardly touched dirt, and it was frozen.

Probably melted out the sunny side yesterday, but more snow last night and cold weather expected to be coming up.

This time of year I tend to ride the north desert and places that are less technical. Riding the flats yesterday was like climbing. Climbing smooth trail was like it was technical. Downhill was like riding a toboggan. Good to be out there and a beautiful day!

I hope the snow doesn't get TOO deep in the valley. For purely selfish reasons: I can't really afford a snow bike right now.

Today might be a road/paved path day once the slush burns off. Or I could always rest and eat.

--Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
White Christmas

Mr. Beandip-
Nice photo of you and Buddy's cousin (the dog) enjoying the snow! When you head down south for Christmas please don't bring the snow. But do bring your bikes because the foothil trails rock right now.
See you and Mrs Beandip in two days!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.