Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a day in the snow with my Singular Swift - great fun in the first decent fall of the season.

A few questions for those who live in snow country:

What gearing do single speeders run in deep snow*? - I'm finding it sweaty work even though I have put a 20 on the rear

I'm using Nokian studded tyres (Gazza Extreme 294 in 54-622). The minimum recommended pressure is 35psi - this feels like it may be a bit hard for snow conditions. I would have thought more like 25psi. What do most people use?

Or is it a case I should get a proper fatwheel bike?

*for example up to the bottom bracket. At the level shown in the photo I don't have too much problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Can't help on the snow gearing really, I generally go with the 'run what you brung' philosophy as well. If the snow is BB depth in my book it's time to break out the XC skis :) Nice pic thogh, mind if I steal it for my gallery?

I'm still trying to work out who this is - an Aussie from Cairns with both a Swift and a Peregrine who now lives somewhere which gets significant amounts of snow, hmmm...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Singular said:
Can't help on the snow gearing really, I generally go with the 'run what you brung' philosophy as well. If the snow is BB depth in my book it's time to break out the XC skis :) Nice pic thogh, mind if I steal it for my gallery?

I'm still trying to work out who this is - an Aussie from Cairns with both a Swift and a Peregrine who now lives somewhere which gets significant amounts of snow, hmmm...
I love snow & ice - the more the better. Wouldn't waste a good riding day on skis though :)

Help yourself to the pic.

I get the best of both worlds. Living in UK now, but travel back and fore to Oz (Brizvegas & Cairns) regularly, so get to ride all sorts of conditions.

I've got several bikes in each location - saves carting them around :)

I occasionally bodge bikes for Square Wheels, if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.