Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Im kicking myself (not literally cause I only have one good leg). I leave for Tahoe on thursday for a month or more (would of been longer except for said knee). It's dumping there right now. Never thought I'd look forward to coming back from Tahoe to AZ to get some riding in.

So which is better Sunrise of Flagg? Any good bc treks?

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
Im kicking myself (not literally cause I only have one good leg). I leave for Tahoe on thursday for a month or more (would of been longer except for said knee). It's dumping there right now. Never thought I'd look forward to coming back from Tahoe to AZ to get some riding in.

snowbowl has lots of easily accessible "bc" that spits you back into the resort as well as on to snowbowl rd and some killer stuff that takes a bit more effort (and knowledge) to get to.

bc does not exist at sunrise on mt baldy proper but if you really want get after it there are other places on the a/s national forest but quite remote... sled access type stuff.

snowbowl has more true vertical and the trees are a completely different world at snowbowl. as in... you can actually ride them and they compare with the best tree skiing ive done anywhere.

ive always felt the experience at sunrise was rather ghetto although i dont snowboard for the resort atmosphere. the terrain, though, is pretty fun and more varied overall than snowbowl.

so they both have plus and minuses, imo, with snowbowl having a few more on the plus side.

just talked to a fellow cat driver that is track packing right now and we got 12+ at midway and it is currently "dumping". opening will depend on what the rest of this storm does today and what the next system pukes out starting tomorrow. it is a "distinct possibility"... in his words.

and, yes, snowbowl would be open right now if we could make snow. not saying it is good "snow" or a great skiing experience but people have been skiing on manmade in summit county and tahoe both this season until recently... it is what it is.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Truckee Trash said:

Kirkwood got 38 last night with 58 for the 2 day total. More on the way. This stuff came in at around 20:1

Everything will be open by the weekend.

·
Don't believe the Hype...
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live on the West side so Sunrise is 5+ hours each way so it has to be an overnighter...I can go to big bear in the same amount of time even though it's 100 miles farther...Snow bowl is only 2 1/2.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,288 Posts
Seeing how there's 12" at the foot of Spruce Mtn in Prescott (6500') and still snowing, I think we'll get enough snow (to open) according to the forecasts. Just got back from a pretty fun hike. You can just jump into the snow without fear of hitting stuff, so it's getting pretty deep. At the top of Spruce Mtn I'd imagine 20" isn't out of the question as it stands now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Jayem said:
Seeing how there's 12" at the foot of Spruce Mtn in Prescott (6500') .
surely you are not suggesting that there is 12" of snow in the pictures you posted. these were taken before it got that deep correct?

otherwise I've found out why you think there are 6 million people in phoenix. =)

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
Am I sick or something because I'm getting stoked about a snowboard season in AZ... chomping at the bit here, got my snowbowl/sunrise board all ready to ride. Truckee, you don't really hope for super quality snow here in AZ, just the novelty of it. I have had some great powder days here in the desert, you just gotta time it right. If you don't it kinda sucks and you gotta fight huge lines. Thank god for weekdays. Anyone up for a monday run someplace???

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,288 Posts
brianc said:
surely you are not suggesting that there is 12" of snow in the pictures you posted. these were taken before it got that deep correct?

otherwise I've found out why you think there are 6 million people in phoenix. =)
A few things,

those photos were in fact taken before (few hrs hike),

you have amazing depth perception given the lack of cues in the picture to make any judgements,

the snow today is not the only snow we've had, so there is more than what may even be "apparent",

Those rocks in the last picture are pretty large though. Due to the previous snow that we've had, you can't really base anything on the way the trees look or the cleared road. In any case, it's been comming down pretty well back there, and no one will be riding to the top of Spruce Mountain for a while, and perhaps for the bulk of winter. It's about the only ride/trail that really "shuts down" around here. Anything on that mountain and back towards hassaympa (sp?) lake stays "winter" for a long time, essentially the corridor between Senator Highway and Walker. If it snows like they're saying, we're looking at several feet back in these areas, which I have seen before around here. Most places will clear out fast (like Granite Basin), but Spruce goes up to 7700 and Mt Union is 7979, so it tends to pile up (and then freeze) up there.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.