Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,857 Posts
Everywhere? Seriously, there are trails all over. I'd pick a part of the state and start from there depending on what kind of trails you like.

You also need to be more specific about what you mean by "good neighborhood". How much you're willing to spend on a house could dictate how close you get to certain trails.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Need more info...what type of riding are you hoping to have greater access to? Home price? Other interests that you would like to be close to?
I live in Queen Creek and like to ride a variety of trail systems, so I like being able to drive 20-30 minutes east, north, or west and be at a different trailhead with different ride styles. Or, I can ride from my front door and stay primarily on canals or wash paths and make 20-100 mile rides with probably <10 miles on the road (I hate riding on the road). It has great schools, has a younger age demographic, is very family friendly, safe, and reasonably priced, so it ticks all my boxes.
Give us a little more info and we can help out more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everywhere? Seriously, there are trails all over. I'd pick a part of the state and start from there depending on what kind of trails you like.

You also need to be more specific about what you mean by "good neighborhood". How much you're willing to spend on a house could dictate how close you get to certain trails.
Fast fun singletrack technical Is good also. Good neighborhood. Would like to be able to not use during the summer and not have it robbed while we are gone. Basically wife wants to lay by the pool and I would prefer to ride right from the house To the trails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need more info...what type of riding are you hoping to have greater access to? Home price? Other interests that you would like to be close to?
I live in Queen Creek and like to ride a variety of trail systems, so I like being able to drive 20-30 minutes east, north, or west and be at a different trailhead with different ride styles. Or, I can ride from my front door and stay primarily on canals or wash paths and make 20-100 mile rides with probably <10 miles on the road (I hate riding on the road). It has great schools, has a younger age demographic, is very family friendly, safe, and reasonably priced, so it ticks all my boxes.
Give us a little more info and we can help out more.
Under 400k. Closer to 300 if possible. Would love to access technical or fast single track from the house or not drive much.

·
Banned
651 Posts
ho is the riding in havasu?
really good. There's the official stuff that ranges from blues to tech XC and then there are the 100s of miles of "secret trails", lots of which are made up from pieces of old motorcycle singletrack that the BLM shut down. Builders, mostly Socal winter refugees, took the good parts of the old dirtbike trails and linked them with new mtb singletrack. There are even some north shore like features being built. One is a sketchy wall ride made out of expanded metal we call the cheese grater. The BLM turns a blind eye to that stuff so long as it stays off social media.

·
Black and Sticky
768 Posts
A “winter home” rules out a lot of AZ. Prescott, Sedona, etc. are super nice but still a bit cold in the winter. Perhaps your tolerance to cold weather might make those viable. If so, I’d give Prescott or Payson a look, although laying around the pool would get a bit cold. Somewhere along the lower Colorado River like Havasu, Parker, or Yuma would work from the standpoint of weather. I don’t know the trails in those areas so someone else will have to comment on that. The comment above makes Havasu sound promising.

I would be looking at Tucson or Phoenix. They are low enough to have decent warm weather in winter. The problem with those places is cost. In the type of area you have described, single family homes will cost about $250 per square foot or perhaps more. Do the math. Without knowing more of your specific details, your best bet might be a condo in the Phoenix area or perhaps Tucson. A 1200 sf condo or townhome in parts of Scottsdale, east Mesa, Ahwatukee, parts of north Phoenix, Fountain Hills, or similar might work. Condo at least takes care of the issues about being gone much of the time. I don’t want to discourage you, but your specification (ride from home, fun/fast singletrack, good neighborhood, $300-$400k) may be a bit difficult to find, at least in a single family home in the Phoenix area. Home prices have just shot up like crazy. As an example, do a Zillow search for 85028 and see if anything looks promising. That’s the zip code for my neighborhood which borders the Phoenix Mtn Preserve with great riding. Someone with knowledge of Tucson can maybe speak up about that part of AZ.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,857 Posts
Superior, AZ. Named for its access to the Arizona trail and the outdoors in general.
This is a really good recommendation for retired folks who don't need to drive into the city often. I tried to get my parents to move to Superior. Having Picketpost in your backyard would be amazing, plus you get pretty quick access to Roosevelt Lake.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Went through the same decision over the last couple of years. We have a part time home in Anthem country club now. 65 min from the on ramp on 17 to VOC and like 90 min to Flagstaff. **** loads of riding in all directions, however riding RIGHT from the house is not great, but I've found a few places. Still worth driving 15 min to get to something better. On days I can't get away as long, I hit Sonoran Preserve or Cave Creek and you can catch the Black Canyon Trail close by. It's a very gated community, meaning they have two guarded gates and two unguarded gates you need a transponder to get in...it's MUCH more difficult to skate through without a pass vs other areas where you can trail in behind another vehicle (as we found when house shopping). We set out to find the opposite...wanted non HOA out in Cave Creek or Carefree, but prices have completely left the station. In the end it was a blessing in disguise. Anthem CC is very nice, you get a lot for your social membership, the area has a very resort like feel. Super convenient, 2 starbucks and 2 grocery stores, handful of decent places to eat, Walmart and all the other stuff you want across the highway, all 5 min from the house. And you feel a lot better leaving your property for months at a time. However, I'm finding this is absolutely a year round place for us! I either get up early and ride in the valley if I'm short on time or drive North to lower temps and unlimited riding. I've been riding as much on our summer visits as I did over the winter. You can buy A house, probably without a pool for under $400k. Get a golf cart and use the two really nice community pools. Or better yet get a hot tub you can drain if you're not going to be there over the summer. Quite honestly, a pool in the winter there will get very little use. It's so dry that even at 90 degrees you'll feel a bit chilled when you get out and the pool will not be "warm" unless you pay to heat it. We didn't even get in our pool until late May and I was questioning even having a pool as it was such a liability and monthly maintenance $$. Now that it's hot, it's all we use. Our hot tub got a workout over the winter though.

There are SO many fantastic gated communities. Las Sendas in Mesa, Estrella Mountain Ranch near Goodyear...both have great trail systems close by. In the end I wanted to be North and closer to the alpine stuff and Sedona. That's if you want to be "in town". Which is what worked for both of us and our nearly grown kids. Plenty of places to go and keep "everyone" happy and not bored while I'm off riding. :) There are so many cool places to live as mentioned above. My wife and I took a drive the other day to Jerome, Prescott, Wilhoit, down to Wickenburg and back to Anthem, she said "maybe we need a vacation home from our vacation home", just ONE side trip that will blow your mind that you're actually Arizona still. But I know if I had pushed to be in a more remote or smaller town location the vacation would wear off quickly and I would start hearing about there not being a Target or Costco close by. Just being honest.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,857 Posts
Went through the same decision over the last couple of years. We have a part time home in Anthem country club now. 65 min from the on ramp on 17 to VOC and like 90 min to Flagstaff. **** loads of riding in all directions, however riding RIGHT from the house is not great, but I've found a few places. Still worth driving 15 min to get to something better. On days I can't get away as long, I hit Sonoran Preserve or Cave Creek and you can catch the Black Canyon Trail close by. It's a very gated community, meaning they have two guarded gates and two unguarded gates you need a transponder to get in...it's MUCH more difficult to skate through without a pass vs other areas where you can trail in behind another vehicle (as we found when house shopping). We set out to find the opposite...wanted non HOA out in Cave Creek or Carefree, but prices have completely left the station. In the end it was a blessing in disguise. Anthem CC is very nice, you get a lot for your social membership, the area has a very resort like feel. Super convenient, 2 starbucks and 2 grocery stores, handful of decent places to eat, Walmart and all the other stuff you want across the highway, all 5 min from the house. And you feel a lot better leaving your property for months at a time. However, I'm finding this is absolutely a year round place for us! I either get up early and ride in the valley if I'm short on time or drive North to lower temps and unlimited riding. I've been riding as much on our summer visits as I did over the winter. You can buy A house, probably without a pool for under $400k. Get a golf cart and use the two really nice community pools. Or better yet get a hot tub you can drain if you're not going to be there over the summer. Quite honestly, a pool in the winter there will get very little use. It's so dry that even at 90 degrees you'll feel a bit chilled when you get out and the pool will not be "warm" unless you pay to heat it. We didn't even get in our pool until late May and I was questioning even having a pool as it was such a liability and monthly maintenance $$. Now that it's hot, it's all we use. Our hot tub got a workout over the winter though.

There are SO many fantastic gated communities. Las Sendas in Mesa, Estrella Mountain Ranch near Goodyear...both have great trail systems close by. In the end I wanted to be North and closer to the alpine stuff and Sedona. That's if you want to be "in town". Which is what worked for both of us and our nearly grown kids. Plenty of places to go and keep "everyone" happy and not bored while I'm off riding. :) There are so many cool places to live as mentioned above. My wife and I took a drive the other day to Jerome, Prescott, Wilhoit, down to Wickenburg and back to Anthem, she said "maybe we need a vacation home from our vacation home", just ONE side trip that will blow your mind that you're actually Arizona still. But I know if I had pushed to be in a more remote or smaller town location the vacation would wear off quickly and I would start hearing about there not being a Target or Costco close by. Just being honest.
I'm in Estrella Mountain Ranch. I absolutely love it because it's far enough out that I rarely see other riders. Most days I have the trails to myself.

The only caveat is that the trails over here are much more old school, loose chunky type trails than a lot of stuff in the east valley. I prefer janky old school stuff though, so it worked out perfect for me.

HOA fees are pretty high in the master planned neighborhoods like EMR, but it really doesn't bother me because we get so much with it. 2 really nice pools and a water park, multiple nice gyms, etc.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm in Estrella Mountain Ranch. I absolutely love it because it's far enough out that I rarely see other riders. Most days I have the trails to myself.

The only caveat is that the trails over here are much more old school, loose chunky type trails than a lot of stuff in the east valley. I prefer janky old school stuff though, so it worked out perfect for me.

HOA fees are pretty high in the master planned neighborhoods like EMR, but it really doesn't bother me because we get so much with it. 2 really nice pools and a water park, multiple nice gyms, etc.
Agree, we came REALLY close to buying there and Las Sendas! In the end, crazy market, a spectacular home backing to Daisy Mountain came on, at a price would could swing and feel very fortunate to have landed it. I think the extra $250 mo for the Anthem social membership (there are two golf courses and tennis if you want those memberships) is what keeps the "we ain't payin no HOA fees!!" people or people on a limited budget from shopping these areas. And trust me, I'm far from country club material and would rather not pay another $250 a month, but I have to admit I really love driving in through all the nice landscape, very well maintained roads, golf courses, clubhouses, making a bourbon and coke and taking the golf cart out at night to chase javalina's.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,857 Posts
Agree, we came REALLY close to buying there and Las Sendas! In the end, crazy market, a spectacular home backing to Daisy Mountain came on, at a price would could swing and feel very fortunate to have landed it. I think the extra $250 mo for the Anthem social membership (there are two golf courses and tennis if you want those memberships) is what keeps the "we ain't payin no HOA fees!!" people or people on a limited budget from shopping these areas. And trust me, I'm far from country club material and would rather not pay another $250 a month, but I have to admit I really love driving in through all the nice landscape, very well maintained roads, golf courses, clubhouses, making a bourbon and coke and taking the golf cart out at night to chase javalina's.
We bought our house sight unseen during COVID, and I had some pretty serious internal quarrels when I found out it was gated after we bought. I'm with you, I'm definitely not gated community material.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.