Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was determined to get on the bike again. It had been since Thanksgiving and while skiing is fun, I need my bike fix. So based upon some scouting, asking, and guess I made my way to Bear Creek Lake Park and was joined by Ed (another former Jersey guy). I checked out the trails before he arrived and unfortunately there were not ridable.

That meant road and bike path. With singlespeeds ready to go, the 29" wheels hit the clear road until we climb up the damn. At least we had some dirt.

Even though the bike paths were snow covered, they were sort of plowed. It actually added some challenge to a normally mundane ride. The one exception was coming off the south damn which was covered in wind blown drifts for about 1/4 mile.

Our wheel move a lot faster than the rusty old wagon. Still, it's a perfect setting for this last bastion of great plains before the foothills.

More snow covered fun.

Closing off 15 miles with the standard bike against the log picture.

Well, I'm ready to have my trails back now!

Thanks to Ed for the company.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rontele said:
How is that trail when it is not covered with snow?
We were on the concrete bike path, but there are some nice singletrack trails that run in almost the same direction. I believe the mount carbon trail follows the route we took. As long as the ground is dry, those trails are fast (don't expect anything technical or even something remotely equivalent to a climb). If it's wet, it is a clay clogging mess.

·
Registered
944 Posts
schnauzers said:
We were on the concrete bike path, but there are some nice singletrack trails that run in almost the same direction. I believe the mount carbon trail follows the route we took. As long as the ground is dry, those trails are fast (don't expect anything technical or even something remotely equivalent to a climb). If it's wet, it is a clay clogging mess.
Excellent. Sounds like it will be fun on my 29er.

·
2,856 Posts
schnauzers said:
At least we had some dirt.

Thanks to Ed for the company.
Mmmmm, dirt! And thank you for inviting me along.

Some more pics

1) Foothills

2) Denver

3) Plants (dead)

4) Horses (live)

5) Mirror

Attachments

·
2,856 Posts
jasonb said:
Looks like fun guys. Give me a hollar if you are heading out. I am supposed to be racing in Pisgah in May -- ouch! I need to get some miles soon.
Ok Jason, I'll keep you in mind when we go on these excursions. Next weekend maybe.

Yesterday was awesome. We have a great spot to ride when the weather is like this; South Platte River Rd. between Buffalo Creek and the CO Trail area. It gets plowed, there is almost no traffic (no sub-divisions, etc.) it is beautiful and mostly flat with plenty of miles available, a perfect training area.

We cruised uncut freshies for quite a few miles before a jeep went by. Then on the way back a plow went by and we took advantage of the dirt as it was tiring plowing through 6-8" of lovely powder.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.