Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering what gearing folks are using on their SS SnoBikes?

Sheldon Brown's spreadsheet is what I'm using to calculate:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Assuming Endomorphs on Marge rims - avg. tire pressure...closest assumption on the spreadsheet is 29 inch (700x56)...175 crank length...Calculating in 'Meters of Development'.

I'm running 35, 38 up front / 19, 21 rear ... 3.9MD, 4.2MD, 4.3MD, 4.7MD

Any comparative numbers out there!

Martin

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
also replied to your post on the "alaska" board...

...i'm in n minnesota. riding mostly hilly singletrack and snowmobile trails. running 32 x 22 w/ nokian 3.0s on a surly 1x1. could use a lower gear after 2-3 hours of riding...
i'll probably run a 5-6 gear setup next winter w/ some mods to the surly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another 32x22 here. It's the biggest cog Surly makes. Definately wishing I had more options after a couple hours as well though. Snow conditions can vary so much, a single gear ratio is like trying to pick the appropriate temperature wax, its different everyday.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It really depends on if you want to ride a trail or break a trail. 32x22 will work for mostly packed snow. When I am pushing through 6 inches of fresh snow on the pug, I am in granny(22T) in the front and between a 18T and 28T on the back. I set up my pug as a 2x9 since the snow can vary so much in rolling resistance.

3 Minnesota responses in a row!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.