Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Sniper T or 951 XC in a medium frame. (I'm 5'8). I noticed it has a rather long seat tube (17.2"), and it comes with a 150mm dropper. Any owners of this bike around my height or shorter out there? Did you have any problems getting the saddle low enough for proper fit?

·
Formerly of Kent
14,151 Posts
I'm looking to get a Sniper T or 951 XC in a medium frame. (I'm 5'8). I noticed it has a rather long seat tube (17.2"), and it comes with a 150mm dropper. Any owners of this bike around my height or shorter out there? Did you have any problems getting the saddle low enough for proper fit?
I'm 5'5", 31.5" inseam. I'm running a 125mm BikeYoke Revive. 2.5"/63mm between the bottom of the collar and the top of the seat tube. I'd have to measure insertion depth but I could likely run a 185mm if I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Le Duke. You have a long inseam. Is that with shoes? What crank length are you running? And just to confirm, your bike is a size Medium right?

The reason I ask is I saw a YouTube review of the Sniper T (posted by a guy called MTB YumYum, who is 5'8), in which he said that on the size medium bike with a 125mm dropper, he had to lower the seat post all the way in order for this saddle height to be correct.

How about standover in your experience? The listed standover on the geo chart seems rather high, but from the looks of the frame in pictures it actually looks quite low.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
why is standover important? if you actually fail to maintain momentum its not going to be on level ground where you might want to put both feet down. this imo is something you can ignore

seat tube is an issue if your small, i bought my daughter a large fuel ex 8 and she couldnt get the stock dropper low enough. but we swapped it with a one up and now she has the same travel and about 30mm showing. i guess im saying look at that dropper for possible upgrade should it be needed. also the dropper takes some shims to lower the extension in 10 mm increments. which worked great this past weekend w my other daughter as she rode the same bike w the collar slammed and 20mm of shims for a perfect fit. great product!

·
Formerly of Kent
14,151 Posts
Medium, yep. Just measured my inseam using the book against wall method, wearing well worn, old slippers (~1/4” thick) and it’s 31.75”. 170mm cranks.

Stand over is kind of a weird thing to measure. 4” forward of the BB, it’s 29”. At the TT/ST junction it’s a lot shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered Dietitian
1,994 Posts
why is standover important? if you actually fail to maintain momentum its not going to be on level ground where you might want to put both feet down. this imo is something you can ignore

seat tube is an issue if your small, i bought my daughter a large fuel ex 8 and she couldnt get the stock dropper low enough. but we swapped it with a one up and now she has the same travel and about 30mm showing. i guess im saying look at that dropper for possible upgrade should it be needed. also the dropper takes some shims to lower the extension in 10 mm increments. which worked great this past weekend w my other daughter as she rode the same bike w the collar slammed and 20mm of shims for a perfect fit. great product!
On these bikes, seat tube is an issue even if you are of average height. I ride a large sniper FRO and it came with a 150 mm dropper post as stock. Even with it pushed all the way down in the seat tube, it was still a good 75 mm too long for me to actually sit on and reach the pedals. It's not like I'm not right smack there as a Large by height per Intense, this was just a bad spec. I'd need a 35" inseam to ride that post on that frame.

I should have mentioned - I'm about 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
On these bikes, seat tube is an issue even if you are of average height. I ride a large sniper FRO and it came with a 150 mm dropper post as stock. Even with it pushed all the way down in the seat tube, it was still a good 75 mm too long for me to actually sit on and reach the pedals. It's not like I'm not right smack there as a Large by height per Intense, this was just a bad spec. I'd need a 35" inseam to ride that post on that frame.

I should have mentioned - I'm about 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam.
id say that a bad spec is possible, but lets not blame the frame!

lets blame the bean counter that wanted a better volume deal on a length of dropper post.

im also of the opinion that you dont need a big dropper post on a sniper. xc bike if i remember correctly. it takes a bunch of energy on a race bike to squat down all 175mm to lower that post. (2021 fro spec). its more efficient race wise to lower the post only what you need. and the subsequent shorter post would be lighter. why spec a 175mm post on a large frame and carry that extra weight. better to go the other way and be happy the lighter carbon seat tube is a bit longer allowing running of a smaller lighter post

my real experience example proved that options exist. the bontrager vs on up dropper provided the same travel on the same frame but allowed my daughter to have excess post showing where the other post wasnt able to be inserted low enough.

finally i saw a kid the other day w his seat slammed all the way down and he buzzed his seat with the rear tire off the jump landing. just another reason why there might be a limit to excessive dropper post travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I could see where the frame design is part of the problem in that the seat post is really long compared to some other bikes; It rises way past the top tube.

I believe these bikes used to be specced with a 125mm dropper, but now they come with a 150mm.

Unless I can find a medium Sniper / 951XC in stock somewhere so I can make sure it fits me, I might have to choose a different bike. Too bad, because this seems like the perfect bike in most other respects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is inseam measurement for bikes supposed to be different from inseam for pants? When I buy pants I usually buy 30", and sometimes even that is a little too long. I just watched a video on the "book method" and came up with a measurement of 32.5". (They said to push the book way up there til it touches bone.)

Maybe this bike will fit me after all...

·
Registered Dietitian
1,994 Posts
id say that a bad spec is possible, but lets not blame the frame!

lets blame the bean counter that wanted a better volume deal on a length of dropper post.

im also of the opinion that you dont need a big dropper post on a sniper. xc bike if i remember correctly. it takes a bunch of energy on a race bike to squat down all 175mm to lower that post. (2021 fro spec). its more efficient race wise to lower the post only what you need. and the subsequent shorter post would be lighter. why spec a 175mm post on a large frame and carry that extra weight. better to go the other way and be happy the lighter carbon seat tube is a bit longer allowing running of a smaller lighter post

my real experience example proved that options exist. the bontrager vs on up dropper provided the same travel on the same frame but allowed my daughter to have excess post showing where the other post wasnt able to be inserted low enough.

finally i saw a kid the other day w his seat slammed all the way down and he buzzed his seat with the rear tire off the jump landing. just another reason why there might be a limit to excessive dropper post travel.
I just saw this reply, sorry for the late addition.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's primarily a spec issue. I have no idea why you'd spec a post that makes it impossible for someone 2" taller than the shortest advised height for the frame size to use it. I would have been perfectly happy with a 80mm dropper as long as it was lightweight and functional.

That said - there appears to be no good reason for the seat tube to be as long as it is on the Sniper. Standover is fine.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Is inseam measurement for bikes supposed to be different from inseam for pants? When I buy pants I usually buy 30", and sometimes even that is a little too long. I just watched a video on the "book method" and came up with a measurement of 32.5". (They said to push the book way up there til it touches bone.)

Maybe this bike will fit me after all...
I think it is different, but the book method is much more accurate, in any case to compare different riders and bikes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
5'7, 165mm cranks, composite flat pedals, and shoes that have a relatively tall sole.

The 150mm seatpost was way too long for me. Even my 125mm BikeYoke feels like it needs to be maybe 5 -10mm shorter. I'll be cutting the seat tube down just a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.