Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode for a couple hours last Sunday, I liked the park alot it was my second time there we all rode really well. I was very disappointed in the fact that the trails were destroyed in many places by dirt bikes. Is that common there?? Other than that I cant wait for it to be dry enough to head back out there.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Recent occurance

There have always been MXers out at the Snip. I used to ride my motorcycle there myself when I was in high school. NETRA runs an enduro through the park twice per year. They get 100+ riders for those rides. The only time MXers are legal out there is during the races, other times they are not allowed, except on the dirt roads (i.e. as road motorcycles), though as far as I can tell there is ZERO enforcement.

Over the many years I have ridden at Snip I have seen some severe damage immediately after the enduro, but it has always amazed me how quickly the forest recovers. Historically there has been only minor MX use after the enduro. As with any forest use, there are responsible users and irresponsible users. For whatever reason in the last 3 to 4 months the MX damage has increased exponentially.

I can't prove anything, but I think most of the current damage is being done by a single group or user. I have seen a few out there (I think its the same two or three riders each time). One or all of the guys in this group feel its not riding unless the rear tire is spinning. Its crazy. I only hope I can talk to these guys face to face, but its probably not likely.

Also on the blue trail down by the HD trail some idiot decided to take his 4x4 truck in as far as he could go (all the way to the other dirt road). He took no prisoners and went as far as cutting down live trees, piling rocks etc. to get his truck through.

If you'd like a tour, let me know, that's my default ride. Even when its wet, you can do a good, non-mud/non-damaging ride if you stay up high. Its a smaller loop, but still good! The trails right around Soapstone are the worst when its wet, best to park over on Hopkins Road during wetter rides.

John

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We actually saw from a distance a group of about 5 or 6 motercycles, we could hear them the entire ride and they crossed our vision a couple times. Im not around this weekend but we would love to get a tour of the park, as we repeated the same loop we were led on over the summer by the manchester ems guys. I know its probably not allowed but can you night ride there? we tend to do case as a default every week and it would be nice to mix it up a bit and that is about the same distance for me to get to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
John, I wish more mountainbikers were as open minded as you... beacause most just piss and moan about dirtbikers....I would lik to to tell the story from our side without getting in a pissing match with anybody .....I have been mountain biking for awhile and dirt biking forever... recently there have been a few mountaing bikers out there making trails but just about every trail out there has been made by dirtbikers since about 1930 when enduros were a huge event in Somer CT....there is a running group who took over some trails because there cell phones would only work in certain trails..???..The only reason I started racing is because it is all legal....I have seen many, many,mountain bikers on the BLUE TRAIL which is illegal.....the blue trail runs through all of CT and is a hiking trail....Of course there are going to be a bunch of idiots out there not giving a crap about the woods or other people, shoot stand on top of the tower and look down on the ground at all the freakin garbage people leave behind.. it is disgusting......On another note people do not realize how cut up Snip forest is, home depot trail is in the forest but most of the single track in that area is on PRIVATE PROPERTY....you can see that on any map....everybody has seen the cabin out there ????...correct ..The one that looks like it is in the middle of the forest..... The guy that owns that cabin hunts on his property and owns several acres around it and has given permission the the local club to establish trails on HIS property for the races that go through there......There is alot of activity out there recently... Our club has to find a new route for the next race because a property owner has shut his land down... thanks to some kids out there in jeeps dumping crap on his land...and driving on his fields...John I look forward to riding with you again soon it is always a good ride....I thought I would just put this out there because people who are new to that area do not know any of its history...and like you said unfortunatly there are irresposible users .....

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Thanks KTMSX

I'm definitely not into starting a war with MXers - I was one for many years. I've been riding MTBs out there for 20 years or so and have coexisted with the MXers at the Snip that whole time with no issues.

Like I said, I've seen the damage done by 100 or so MXers at once - its a bit disturbing, but in the past I've always seen the recovery - so its all cool. I think some of that is due to the fact that I would rarely see MXers after the event was done.

As I say there is definitely a recent increase in MXers spinning up their tires, in fact I think there's been an increase in MX traffic in general recently. I don't care about the MXers if they ride respectfully.I don't understand the spinning at all, I guess some folks just get their jollies spinning on the flats - just like some MTBers drag their wheels down hills.

As far as Blue trail use, there's a lot of interpretations of what is allowed and not on the Blue, again, riding respectfully is the key, otherwise someone (hiker) is going to pull out the rule book. Which won't be good for us.

That being said, we need to keep the MTB house clean as well - That trail coming down right before the climb up to Soapstone is disgusting - its not hard to ride without dragging your rear wheel - especially if you're riding discs. Use your front brake. Ironically probably the folks who do drag their tires aren't the ones who will read this.

Oh well I can still try!

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have a point about not getting through to the people we need to....spinning there tires and having bikes you can hear from the other side of town........bozo's......

·
Registered
350 Posts
John,
I agree with what you have to say. But you can't make all the people happy all the time. problem at Snip is a problem that happens everywhere. My house abuts the south Arcadia (Summit rd) and I am in the trails everyday. Either on my bike or just walking the dogs. It seems no matter what someone out there will have a problem. And I guess you can put me into that category. I don’t beef much about most of the MX’s in arcadia even though it is illegal. Because some of the guys are more courteous then some of the MTB’s I run into daily. My beef is what is going on nightly due to the ******** that live around arcadia. They are out there nightly with their ATV’s which was fine at first when the stayed on the fire roads but now they have widened the tight single track to something that looks more like a cart path. And the trash that they leave is unbelievable mostly Bud cans. But I can also say the same for the MTB society that use the same trial. I know the MX’s aren’t leaving Gu or Cliff bar packages at the best resting locations. My end response to this is that I pick up as much stuff as I can to clean the trails. And whenever there is a good storm that knocks down some good lumber I only clear enough for a MTB to pass.

Hikers, horse ridders, hunters, MX's, ATV's and MTB"s all need to rememer one thing. The parks that we all use were put aside for the protection of the animals. So please pick up your S*#t when you leave.

I don’t know if you have ever ridden Wrentham but the do have a pretty good system. The MX and MTB’s use the same trails. When a trial is starting to become rutted they close that section of trail and open a new trail a few feet away. This only works because the MX’s are able to break down the foliage much faster then the MTB’s.

John,
I have enjoyed some of your posts but 1,400 posts what the hell do you do?? I hope your some sort of IT because I don’t think I have 1,400 conversations last year. Just kidding hope to see more posts from you in the future and I would like to ride with you. But as I stated before I live in Arcadia with a bunch of hidden trails in my back yard so it hard to get me to leave

C

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
IT Yes...

Rez said:
John,
I have enjoyed some of your posts but 1,400 posts what the hell do you do??
Yeah, I'm in IT sales. I also work from home, which means instead of taking a watercooler break, I check out MTBR... I have a high post count here in CT Forum, but relatively low over in Passion - where I hang out mostly.

Also be aware that's over a long period of time.I've been up on the forums here for many years... that and I don't have any real friends, only virtual ones. :D

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.