EndUser

Attachments

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About the hub.....

steelhead said:
You´ll need some spacers to with the disc brake!!???
This 160mm CK hub uses the Single-speed universal hub shell which comes with a bolt-on 6-bolt rotor spacer. I laced the wheels up myself so I haven't put it on yet. FYI, this is a custom 160mm CK hub. This is different than the standard 160mm tandem hub in that the axel and driveshell are both aluminum instead of stainless steel. Also, the Single-speed hubshell is slightly wider than the standard ISO shell which is nice when building these wide rims and it's drilled 32 hole.... not 36. Notice the CK Fun Bolts..... they are clean and sweet..... I didn't think I'd like them.... but I do.

Regards,

EndUser

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chain Reaction Cycles in Anchorage, Alaska

Sac29 said:
nice..

Where/who did you get the rim ?
Bill, Jamie and their crew are doing a great job with the Vicious Graceful Fat Sheba rims. They've got the drilling down to a science..... it is precise and looks great.

Give them a call..... just google them..... for more information.

Regards,

EndUser

·
A Surly Maverick
2,698 Posts
Nice photo :)

It looks....... SHINY and expensive :eekster:

Look forward to the full reveal :thumbsup:

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,117 Posts
Parallel build....another sneak peek

Dr Feelygood ! said:
It looks....... SHINY and expensive
These are built by Merlin, hence the look! It truly is an example of titanium art.

I've got a similar effort in progress. Wheels are next, then brakes, that'll bring me pretty close to completion. Waiting on a Paul Components front hub......notice the 135mm spacing on the Black Sheep fork, and forward facing dropouts! :thumbsup:

We may have ten weeks or so until snow, so I've got a deadline! Nice artsy touch in your photo EndUser.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh mummy, that's nice.

I'm moving to Australia in 6 weeks time (from the UK) and can't help thinking that I need a fat bike for the beach. :)

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Factory Drill spoke holes .......

dRjOn said:
interesting spoke drilling on that fat sheba....i would have guessed that having that pattern would have made the wheel more likely to collapse from side pressures---i'll now guess there is some experience in this matter that suggests otherwise...yes?
This the factory drilling. I've built lots and lots and lots of wheels and this doesn't seem to odd to me at all.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
i just meant how far the left spokes were offset to the left and how far the right to the right...i was talking about this with a friend who had some undrilled rims, we couldnt decide whether a fat rim would be better with a greater offset, or whether the angle of the spokes was more important...and to keep it with just a little offset to either side. i have some uma rims that are no where near as offset as the fat sheba interesting! i really like the wider shell and axle respacing there...

:)~

·
Registered
489 Posts
zip ties?

Great looking ride - but ya gotta lose the zip ties!!

Also, what is the scoop on the forward facing dropouts? They look less secure in the event your QR gets loose - is this true?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Stroganof said:
Great looking ride - but ya gotta lose the zip ties!!

Also, what is the scoop on the forward facing dropouts? They look less secure in the event your QR gets loose - is this true?
No. Going forward would keep them in. If you unload the front the wheel won't drop out. The idea behind forward facing dropouts is because of disc brakes. When you apply the torque on the rotor it puts a directional force on the axle. With standard downward dropouts this is the direction. Braking can eject the wheel. With forward facing there is material there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
whew! My cross bike has those and they have always made me nervously double-check to make sure the QR was tight - thanks for the (relaxing) info . . .

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rims.....

dRjOn said:
i just meant how far the left spokes were offset to the left and how far the right to the right...i was talking about this with a friend who had some undrilled rims, we couldnt decide whether a fat rim would be better with a greater offset, or whether the angle of the spokes was more important...and to keep it with just a little offset to either side. i have some uma rims that are no where near as offset as the fat sheba interesting! i really like the wider shell and axle respacing there...

:)~
If you haven't seen these rims up-close, you should. These rims seem bomber and the stock weight back this up - 1310 gm (as advertised) - Mine were 1280 gm. Again, 1.5 inch drilling took off a net 1.2 lbs from the both rims..... that's a lot rotational mass.

Anyway, I looked for a cross-section of the rim on the web, but I couldn't find one, but rim is very thick. The region that runs along the spoke bed is the thickes part of the rim at about, 4-5 mm!!! This is the thickest single wall rim I've built. Also, there is a box-section running along each side of the rim which, in theory, should provide additional radial and lateral strength. I'm confident that this rim will hold up well to tortional side loads. But, only time will tell..... which for me will start this winter.

Regards,

EndUser

1 - 20 of 20 Posts