Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Nice!

Is that the actual frame you'll be building? If so, nice shots!

I was under the impression the Sunday would have a floating lower shock mount, similar to the Tungsten Electrode. It's hard to be certain, but in those photos it appears that the lower mount is concentric with the pivot of the forward linkage, and does not move.

Oh ****, I just realized that's the US-made 'Factory' frame! How does it differ from the Taiwanese built Sunday?

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that is my actual frame. Got it this past Friday. Can't wait to get her built up - gonna get that done today.

thanks for the props about the shots - still getting use to my digital camera, plus there isn't any good natural light were I live (in house).

That is indeed a US frameset...not sure what the exact difference is other than the tubeset. I think the US frame is a tad lighter.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Niiiiice

Speedub.Nate said:
Nice!

Is that the actual frame you'll be building? If so, nice shots!

I was under the impression the Sunday would have a floating lower shock mount, similar to the Tungsten Electrode. It's hard to be certain, but in those photos it appears that the lower mount is concentric with the pivot of the forward linkage, and does not move.

Oh ****, I just realized that's the US-made 'Factory' frame! How does it differ from the Taiwanese built Sunday?
Very sweet, Acadian. Based on looks alone, that would be the frame I'd get. But I need something I can ride everywhere, so it's a 7 Point for me.
As far as I know, the US made frame is different material, but everything else is the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice looking frame!!!!! Have you tried to adjust the chamber on the shock yet!!!! Took me bloody ages to find a ratchet small enough cos its a pretty tight squeeze!!!!!! I even struggled getting the damn cap off the top !!!!! The bikes worth it though!!!!!

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
markfielding1977 said:
Very nice looking frame!!!!! Have you tried to adjust the chamber on the shock yet!!!! Took me bloody ages to find a ratchet small enough cos its a pretty tight squeeze!!!!!! I even struggled getting the damn cap off the top !!!!! The bikes worth it though!!!!!
not yet..what I'm probably going to do is take the shock out, adjust the settings, then re-mount it. I'm also going to try and get Progressive to help me out at Sea Otter.

Thanks for the props guys! I'm beyond stoked!!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
markfielding1977 said:
Took me bloody ages to find a ratchet small enough cos its a pretty tight squeeze!!!!!! I even struggled getting the damn cap off the top !!!!!
Lol! Getting to be like working on a car, eh? I remember the funky special wrench with 7 bends I needed to adjust the distributor on my old Ford. Instead of that, now I'm carrying sawed-off allen keys in my tool bag to get at pivots and shock settings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Lol! Getting to be like working on a car, eh? I remember the funky special wrench with 7 bends I needed to adjust the distributor on my old Ford. Instead of that, now I'm carrying sawed-off allen keys in my tool bag to get at pivots and shock settings.
I tried taking a hacksaw to my ratchet last night to shorten the length but just ended up snapping the blade :( .

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Acadian said:
still getting use to my digital camera, plus there isn't any good natural light were I live (in house).
Not to worry, too much natural light would have murdered those shots with overexposed background and bright reflection off the frame.

What you've got there is nicely balanced, excellent sharpness, and you managed to expose the dark frameset in such a way as to capture all the details without blowing out the highlights. Good examples of how to shoot a frame.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Black is bad! How's that ride treating you????

After reading Acadians pinkbike thread, there were some shock tuning spec suggestions(wasnt sure where they came from) but I proceeded to tune my shock with those settings for the first time after receiving it a few days ago. When I left everything stock except with the hi/lo speed screws all the way out(cntrclkwse) the ride seemed pretty stiff.

I'm 5'10 155lbs. and running the stock spring

With time on my hands i decided to finish the starting point shock suggestions by backing the cv/t chamber all the way out and then in one full turn. Whats funny is at this setting the shock feels nice and plush and fast like I wanted, but there is a dead spot in the upper stroke when you first push it down with your weight. push down a few quick hard times then do it slowly again and the dead spot goes away....let the bike sit for a few minutes then push the travel down again and the spot shows itself again.???wtf? is what I was thinking. do i need to turn the 16mm cv/t nut back in some more? If so I was thinking 3/4 of a turn, not too much. I want a soft ride, not a firm one. Am I thinking right or is there something else I could or should do?. I know progressive has a new tune available but damn, I just got my sunday, cant like having to send the shock in already to be dialed.

What can I do to set this shock up better?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Rob

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
hopefully

SHAHEEB said:
Whats funny is at this setting the shock feels nice and plush and fast like I wanted, but there is a dead spot in the upper stroke when you first push it down with your weight. push down a few quick hard times then do it slowly again and the dead spot goes away....let the bike sit for a few minutes then push the travel down again and the spot shows itself again.???wtf? is what I was thinking. do i need to turn the 16mm cv/t nut back in some more? If so I was thinking 3/4 of a turn, not too much. I want a soft ride, not a firm one. Am I thinking right or is there something else I could or should do?. I know progressive has a new tune available but damn, I just got my sunday, cant like having to send the shock in already to be dialed.

What can I do to set this shock up better?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Rob
Hopefully you're not having the same issue I had with the 5th that came with my 7 Point - after some break in time, the dead spot appeared and would not go away. I had to send it in to Progressive and am still waiting on a replacement. Darren (DW) posted on here that it's likely a bad o-ring causing the IFP piston to stick, not an uncommon problem.
You're fortunate though that the Sunday is a more standard size/ stroke shock - you could try a dhx while you're waiting, as I was told it's a 2 week turnaround time, and I'm still waiting...

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
dbabuser said:
Hopefully you're not having the same issue I had with the 5th that came with my 7 Point - after some break in time, the dead spot appeared and would not go away. I had to send it in to Progressive and am still waiting on a replacement. Dave (DW) posted on here that it's likely a bad o-ring causing the IFP piston to stick, not an uncommon problem.
You're fortunate though that the Sunday is a more standard size/ stroke shock - you could try a dhx while you're waiting, as I was told it's a 2 week turnaround time, and I'm still waiting...
The '05 DHXs didn't fit, but I'm not sure about the new ones.

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
TheSherpa said:
The '05 DHXs didn't fit, but I'm not sure about the new ones.
Standard 05 DHX's will not fit on Sundays. If you use the DHX you need to use the remote resevoir ones. For 06 biks the lower link shape has been changed to fit a DHX.

For 7POINTs, DHX's will not fit on the 05 bike as they do not make a 9"x2.75" size DHX.

-ska todd

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
ska todd said:
Standard 05 DHX's will not fit on Sundays. If you use the DHX you need to use the remote resevoir ones. For 06 biks the lower link shape has been changed to fit a DHX.

-ska todd
One more reason to get a Sunday. 5th Es are still coming standard, right? I love you Todd.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This sux. Brand new sunday. Rode it once and it felt to stiff, then to the drawing board to tune the shock, and a notchy dead spot surfaces. great! Tried turning the cv/t knob 1/2 full turn more so it would go away. didnt help. It wasnt like this when I first got it but only after trying to dial it in. What should I do?

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
Frankenstein said:
This sux. Brand new sunday. Rode it once and it felt to stiff, then to the drawing board to tune the shock, and a notchy dead spot surfaces. great! Tried turning the cv/t knob 1/2 full turn more so it would go away. didnt help. It wasnt like this when I first got it but only after trying to dial it in. What should I do?
See my reply here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=114841

-ska todd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.