Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my area there is a lot of short downhil/uphill transitions so it's important to me to get a bike that is snappy to power up the hills so that I don't loose the momentum while I'm riding. I've been riding several FS 29er over the last months (Jet9, Rip9, Epic Comp, Tallboy, Superfly 100, Hifi Plus). Some are snappy, others not and feel like I'm "dragging the cinder block". I can't define why exactly. Currently, ranking them, the snappiest is the Tallboy, Epic comp, Jet9, Superfly 100, Hifi Plus, Rip9.

So I'm just wondering why are some 29er FS snappy and others not ?

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
I could be wrong but I'd put it down to the weight and stiffness of the wheelset along with geometry (including stem length and bar width). The wheelset on the HiFi Plus is a far cry from the one on the HiFi Pro not to mention a 620mm bar vs 690mm on the Pro for instance. The SuperFly 100 has an even higher-end wheelset but a 640mm handlebar.

·
code: mtbr2011
1,046 Posts
my rip9 is snappy as hell. all the chatter surrounding 29er bikes saying that they feel long and slow are totally myths. that bike turns on a dime, even with a slightly longer wheelbase than my old sc superlight.

as far as losing momentum on the 29er, that is exactly the opposite of what i've found. for example, climbing and going thru a wash or something that has a quick down then up, the 29er carries more momentum up the other side = less perceived effort.

my buddy pointed out to me the other day, (he rides a salsa mamasita) that there was ZERO pedal bob on my rip9 when going uphill until i hit some obstacles.

if you are riding all of those bikes, i would get the one that feels the best to you.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
Menzo said:
In my area there is a lot of short downhil/uphill transitions so it's important to me to get a bike that is snappy to power up the hills so that I don't loose the momentum while I'm riding. I've been riding several FS 29er over the last months (Jet9, Rip9, Epic Comp, Tallboy, Superfly 100, Hifi Plus). Some are snappy, others not and feel like I'm "dragging the cinder block". I can't define why exactly. Currently, ranking them, the snappiest is the Tallboy, Epic comp, Jet9, Superfly 100, Hifi Plus, Rip9.

The Ventana "El Bastardo" 650b is *very* snappy.

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd put it down to the weight and stiffness of the wheelset
Please note that I always used the same components, the same wheelset (C29SSMAX), tubes and tires (Kenda Karma 1.9) when I have been riding these bike.

if you are riding all of those bikes, i would get the one that feels the best to you.
I'm not trying to decide which bike I need, It's already done, I prefer the Tallboy. I'm just trying to figure out why some bikes are snappy and others are not.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
If you want snappy on the climbs and acceleration, forget a FS, get a Niner AIR 9 Scandium hard tail. Best accelerating bike on climbs that I've ever pedaled. Maybe you should demo one?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ruling out wheels/tires (as you did)
Snappy= short chain-stays, a stiff rear triangle and a super efficient suspension. Certainly the Epic's Brain and SC's VPP help too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Would overall geometry factor in too?

Such as longer or shorter wheelbase, how much weight he has distributed fore/aft, front-center distance, etc.?

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snappy= short chain-stays, a stiff rear triangle and a super efficient suspension
Humm that is very very interesting... I never really paid a lot of attention to the chainstays lenght because the difference is only few millimeters but as I said in my initial post, based on my experience, "the snappiest is the Tallboy, Epic comp, Jet9, Superfly 100, Hifi Plus, Rip9".

My ranking corresponds with the shortest to longest CS: Tallboy 444.6mm, Epic 448mm, Jet9 450mm, Superfly 100/Hifi 452mm and Rip9 455mm

That is good information. Thanks gcavy1

·
Registered
462 Posts
429 455

Since I am in the hunt I will just ad to the list
Pivot 429 455.93 millimeters
Moots mooto xz 462.28 millimeters
Lenz Leviathan 457.2 millimeters
Turner Sultan 462.28 millimeters
Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 452.1 millimeters

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that would be the ranking based on CS lenght...

Santa Cruz Tallboy - 444.6 mm
Specialized Epic 29er - 448 mm
Niner Jet9 - 450 mm
Gary Fisher Superfly 100 / Hifi - 452 mm
Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 - 452.1 mm
Niner Rip9 - 455 mm
Pivot Mach 429 - 455.93 mm
Titus Rockstar - 457.2 mm
Lenz Leviathan 457.2 mm
Moots mooto xz - 462.28 mm
Turner Sultan 462.28 mm

·
Premium Member
48,237 Posts
Menzo said:

It is also how the bike suits your riding style.

I test rode the RIP, JET and Salsa Big Mama.

Preferred the Salsa as being overall "snappier" in those sharp dow/up transitions.
The RIP was on the "dead" feeing side. I needed to wait for the suspension to do its thing before I did mine.
The JET was close, but I did not like it as well on faster rough downhills (too nervous).

All three bikes were good. The Big Mama just suited my riding style best and felt like what I expect a bike to be. Still is 18 months later.

The Salsa also has the longest chainstays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts