Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had a mishap on last ride which took out the X0 rear mech and bent the hanger.
The X0 mech is snapped between the 2 jockey wheels; i.e. the arm.

Is this repairable, do sram sell the lower arm of the X0 mech for repair?

Also my rear hanger is bent, taking into account the attached pics, do you think it'll straighten or just snap? I've ordered a new one but prob take 1 to 2 weeks to come :madman:

Pic attached before the event! :D

Thanks alot

Derek

Attachments

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Ditto....

I'd say that hanger is toast. But as Rocky noted, what have you got to loose in trying it. But it will most likely snap or crack at least. Unfortunately aluminum is too happy about being bent repeatedly. And one up on the cage, available but not cheap.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
derekr said:
Yeah i can get a complete X0 mech for £80 or an X7 for £30, is there much difference other than weight?

A bit of mud prob weights the same as the difference, I'm not fussed about the bling factor.
I would at least get an X-9

and if you can get away with it a medium cage der as well

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Can't tell from your pics if you ran a short or medium cage before but definitely get a short cage. You can get the cheaper plastic cage for an X9 and put it on your XO rather than getting a whole new mech or the expensive carbon XO cage.

·
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a 2007 X0 mech with the carbon cage, and its completley snapped.

I can take a few pics tonight - I'm getting an x9 short cage mech from a mate, used but only weeks old.

I would however like to fix the X0 if possible as the main body of the mech seems in perfect working order.

So could i take the cage off the X9 and fit it to the X0?

Cheers for all the opinions/help guys.

Better pic of the mech when it was intact! (Running my lightweight wheels)

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Lelandjt said:
XTR also uses a carbon cage.
not sure its as simple as material of cage...anecdotal experience is not science, but i have heard enough about SRAM X0 issues to be concerned. I am a born-again Shitmano fan...i think

as for my new(est) bike, i am really really liking the action/feel of XTR so screw all you SRAM liberals

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I had Sram on all my bikes but just switched to XTR Shadow on my XC bike. Shimano really copied all the best features of Sram and then one-upped them by tucking the derailleur in so tightly. It doesn't touch when laying my bike on its right side!

·
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must say im very tempted by the new saint offering esp since the mech isnt particulary heavier, lets face it a bit of mud weigh's about the same as mech weight differences.

We'll be running carbon dust caps next.... LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.