Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody snap the upper link on their gen. 1 Blur yet? Mine just disintegrated after a little over a year (warrantee is only one year). I’m 200lbs give-er-take beer but I've never had to so much as true my wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine was cracking, too

My swing link developed a crack as well. Fortunately, I caught it
before it broke all the way through. The LBS replaced it no questions
asked, even though the bike was a little more than a year old.

Still absolutely love my Blur. It continues to amaze me.

MTBmoose

screamingbunny said:
Anybody snap the upper link on their gen. 1 Blur yet? Mine just disintegrated after a little over a year (warrantee is only one year). I�m 200lbs give-er-take beer but I've never had to so much as true my wheels.

·
Registered
18,576 Posts
screamingbunny said:
I saw on the Santa Cruz site that the new Blur frame warrenties are now two years, does anyone know if this applies to older frames as well?
I think it does. I also have a 1st generation Blur, and when I spoke to SC they told me it had a 2 year warranty.

·
Takin' Care of Business
23 Posts
Upper Link

We failed ours on our Gen 1 this past spring...The swing link is an extrusion (think Playdoh fun factory)...The extrusions are probably like 20 feet in length, then cut and CNC machined into the final part...

As a failure analysis in the auto racing world, we see the same failures in aluminum rocker arms...The grain flow of the extrusion is perpendicular to the strength of the material, therefore stresses will tend to break it in the manner in which this part tends to fail (I have now seen 3)...

I recently saw an article on the design of the Blur in an industry rag (Desktop Engineering - www.deskeng.com)...It shows a finite element analysis (FEA) of the stress concentrations on the swing link...The fracture origin of our broken link, was at the projected point of highest stress in the FEA...

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
screamingbunny said:
Anybody snap the upper link on their gen. 1 Blur yet? Mine just disintegrated after a little over a year (warrantee is only one year). I?m 200lbs give-er-take beer but I've never had to so much as true my wheels.
Same happened to my buddy. SC should take care of it. Check your seat tube below the front derailleur too. This was another 1st gen issue...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
A guy in my riding group broke his upper swing link on his Gen 1 Blur too. The shock bolt broke and he thought he only needed a new bolt. When he got the new bolt he found that the link would not fit back into the frame because it was bent with a hairline crack. Frame was over a year old and Santa Cruz would not cover it. LBS was lame too, from the time he took his bike in to where it left the shop was 4 weeks. On the first ride i asked him to show me where it broke, when his finger brushed the shock bolt, it spun. The LBS didn't even tighten it down.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well it's finally fixxed. 3 months and SC/Evolution Sports here in germany came through. Granted 3 weeks of the delay was due to SC closing house to come over here for EuroBike and another four weeks thanks to the German post office refusing to deliver to my valid home address....Twice!

I now have exactly one day to ride before I deploy. I hope the weather will be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Blur link

Yep, mine broke too. SC wartranteed it on the spot even though the bike was 14 months old. According to SC, it was a heat treating problem. When I asked about the bottom link, they said that only top links were affected.

We'll see...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
screamingbunny said:

Well it's finally fixxed. 3 months and SC/Evolution Sports here in germany came through. Granted 3 weeks of the delay was due to SC closing house to come over here for EuroBike and another four weeks thanks to the German post office refusing to deliver to my valid home address....Twice!

I now have exactly one day to ride before I deploy. I hope the weather will be good.
I noticed you're "crosschained" there! Hopefully you were in the big/big combo for troubleshooting/chainsizing? Still looks like you could take a link or two out....

FWIW, I've destroyed every part of my Blur, axcept the rear swingarm assembly. The frame is now back at SC for a look-see, as i wear out shock DU bushings & reducers in a day or two! Lower pivot bearings last about 2-4 weeks. Broke the gen1 front end, got bike back with new swing/link parts. The lower pivot / link pc. was very different than the original! It looked much beefier and more burly.... the first one looked like a block of oval aluminum, the newer one is more "three dimensional" in that it has ridges, concave surfaces and is deeper in profile, but hollowed out too.

I love the dang Blur's ride but have just about lost my mind maintaining it. I can change out bearings quick as can be and know the torque spec's, types of lube and loc-tite to use by memory now.

My theory is that the lower+upper pivots are not stiff enough to help prevent twisting loads up at the shock/link. Or I'm just to much of a bad [email protected]@! JK :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.