Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Stumpjumper Expert FSR 120

Is there an aftermarket one that is stronger or do I just have to get a replacement from Specialized?

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I snapped mine off one time and the mechanic at Whistler simply put an Enduro hanger on there.

I am not sure if it's stronger but it did the trick.

Pedro

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why would you want a "stronger" one. They are made to give, or fail, so you don't trash the truly expensive rear derailluer. A few dollars for a hanger is a steal compared to a $200.00 XO. Keep an extra one in your hydration pack while riding, or in your tool kit.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
This is why

hurtman said:
Why would you want a "stronger" one. They are made to give, or fail, so you don't trash the truly expensive rear derailluer. A few dollars for a hanger is a steal compared to a $200.00 XO. Keep an extra one in your hydration pack while riding, or in your tool kit.
Because the hanger design is defective and rips off the bottom of your drop out when it fails thus ruining your frame. I wish they would redesign it but untill they do the der gard is the best option. I have used one on my girlfriends stumpy for a year now and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Because the hanger design is defective and rips off the bottom of your drop out when it fails thus ruining your frame. I wish they would redesign it but untill they do the der gard is the best option. I have used one on my girlfriends stumpy for a year now and it works perfectly.
I broke my hanger while riding in Aug. 04. I had previously bent it a couple of times so it was weak anyway. No damage to the frame. I have owned several Spec's. in the past and present and have never experienced what you did. I guess I have been lucky, or you had a one in a million crash. My condolences.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
They have redesigned the hangar, now it uses 1 hollow aluminum bolt to install. I don't know if its as strong as the old 2 bolt style or not. But I've bent / broken 2 hangars & 1 xtr deraillier without the guard so I'm trying it. It also keeps your deraillier in alignment better so the shifting is solid. Of course, if you never bump your deraillier you don't need one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
It didn't ruin mine. That piece of metal that was bent out of shape is simply not in the way of the Enduro hanger on my SJ. No problem for me.

Pedro

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've snapped 2 hangers on a 2003 Epic. Each time, it took a bit of the dropout off, now leaving me with one bolt to secure the hanger. This is an obvious design flaw.

I got a "hanger banger" gizmo on-line from somewhere in Canada, so far so good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone have a picture, or link to one of the Specialized Derailleur guard installed... I'm having a difficult time visualizing how it goes together.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RockHopper 06 doesn't use the same as the 05 ! - my spare not much use :)

Mine broke when chain clogged on grass, yes that green stuff.

Derailler wrapped, broke hanger.
Unfortunately that wasn't the limit of the damage - derailler had bust the little stop peg, chain damaged - cassette even needed replacing.

If only the damage was limited to the hanger, oh and the frame bent as well for good measure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts