Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday i was grinding up a steep section of single track and my chain, a sram pc40, snaps. two of the sideplates actually tore at their centers. all of the force i was putting into my crank at the time went into burying my knee into my stem. as i was graoning on the forest floor, watching blood gurgle from the two mouths that had opened in my knee, i realized why many ss riders use those burly chains.

so its new chain time, anyone have any stories, warnings or suggestions?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
My worst wasn't on the SS but on the gearie.

I was on a short steep climb on my Kaitai when the chain snapped. I quick went backwards and started to do summersaults down the hill with the bike attached, don't have a clue how it happend but it did. Lucky for me I didn't got hurt and scaped with only a small cut on my left knee and minor scratches from the tumbling with the bike. After that a quick call to my wife for pickup and the usual you're not that young anymore lecture.

The chain was a PC99 and after inspection found that the center of one of the sideplates craked and failed due to torque.

On the SS I use PC69 chains and so far just 1 failure and was on the Powerlink.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
on an old fs rig i used to have the chin snapped doing wheelies in the back yard. it was strange.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've snapped 2 chains in the last year.

1) On my geary, some setup problems with it so it would ghost shift regularly. During a lap at a race, just as I stood to climb it ghost shifted and snapped and over I fell. SRAM, don't know what model. I don't blame the chain, it took an awful lot of abuse at the hands of my shifting problems and I had a feeling it was going to snap 'any moment now' for weeks.

2) This spring getting the singlespeed out for it's first ride of the year, maybe 150 meters from my house the chain just snapped and fell off the bike. Just turned around and coasted back home. Can't remeber the brand but some uber-cheap BMX chain.

DobeManSS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.