Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen this happens before..:eek: :eek: ?
I just wonder if that break has anything to do with weight?

Attachments

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
my money is on a 50/50 (i did that once a few years ago and it looked exactly like that).....
I'm with you on that! but, i came short many times on all my forks and never ever seen anything like this:nono: :nono: :nono: !!!!!!!!! Did you snap your fork like that, how big of a double or drop, it was?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
pvflyer said:
.... Did you snap your fork like that, how big of a double or drop, it was?
it was a while back, i was on a '99 Boxxer and came up short on a ~15' double. the fork looked just like that after i peeled myself up out of the dirt and the dust settled. sometimes things hold up forever, sometimes they don't....

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I quess the guy who's fork wrote this...."See, what really happend was that the day before a race, he got a new goodridge brake line, he found out the line was too short, and he didn't have time to get a longer line, because it was sunday, and all the shops were closed. So he decided that he would just make do by compressing his fork, and have a buddy put the brake on while he held the fork. Because he was using a goodridge line, which is uber strong it kept the fork at seven inches of travel. Half way down his race run, he hit a 1.5m drop, and topped it off so hard, that the strength of the brake line, and the fact that his brake line was routed on the front of his fork lowers (see picture) was the actual cause of his WC snapping. Or it could be the fact that the fork is just over six pounds....breakage."

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Or it could be the fact that the fork is just over six pounds....breakage.
huh, my guess would've been racing at a pro world-cup level and crashing hard. but I guess assuming that since something is 6lbs so of course it'll break is much easier... :madman:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
It broke right where the bushing overlap stops.

Boxxers have been extended to 8" of travel while still using 32mm stanchions.

I don't think this is a mystery. Looks like it was cased, but any and all forks will be cased at some point. There's a reason why the 888 and fox 40 use significantly larger stanchions.

RS is probably savin money though!

It looks like the boxxer has taken the back seat in the last few years, especially with all the 07 single crown RS forks that are going to come out, which use sigificantly bigger stanchions by the way. The boxxer chassi should have gone to bigger stanchions back in like 02 or 03...

·
Retread soul rider
93 Posts
bad landing... in this case, some people call it a "slap" landing - one in which the rear wheel comes down first (with front end still very high) and then slaps the front wheel down with the fork fully extended

another NSMB poster wrote:
"i've seen forks break like that before.

it's just like someone said previously about landing tail first.
watching guys jump d.h.bikes by pulling the front up too high and slapping the front down is hilarious. a couple of years ago, a guy was jumping with that style and we watched him rip the headtube right off a foes d.h. frame.
forks aren't designed for that type of stress load.

i'm not saying that this was the case with this particular fork.
but seeing where it broke right at the end of where the stancion tubes would be if it was at full extention. sure makes it look like rider error not an inherent flaw in the fork.

·
not really a noob
3,510 Posts
Sure, this is all the product of a badly setup fork. See, what really happend was that the day before a race, he got a new goodridge brake line, he found out the line was too short, and he didn't have time to get a longer line, because it was sunday, and all the shops were closed. So he decided that he would just make do by compressing his fork, and have a buddy put the brake on while he held the fork. Because he was using a goodridge line, which is uber strong it kept the fork at seven inches of travel. Half way down his race run, he hit a 1.5m drop, and topped it off so hard, that the strength of the brake line, and the fact that his brake line was routed on the front of his fork lowers (see picture) was the actual cause of his WC snapping. Or it could be the fact that the fork is just over six pounds....breakage.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.