Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have over extended my rear hayes nine xc lever this weekend...shattered the snap ring and retaining washer holding the push rod to the master cylinder...

i am wondering what the easiest way to repair this...can i simply remove mc from lever and place new washer and snap ring over the push rod? is there no reason to even remove mc, can it all be done with lever assembly mounted on the bars?

lastly can i just buy a snap ring and washer or must i purchase a complete rebuild kit...?

over and out,
adubb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeppers...i have hydros though and no fluid loss so i am assuming that i can repair without bleeding...

snap ring bent to hell and retaining washer was shattered into 6-8 pieces...

i do not mind bleeding my brakes but if i dont have to i wont...!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those are hydros in the pictures too.

I am not sure what is wrong with them. Bike shop is looking at it now and will advise me what they think.
Depending on cost to fix I may just go with a different setup.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Try to find a Hayes 9 exploded diagram. You got the rod with the ball on the end. It is held against the master cylinder piston, which is concave. There is a washer and c clip that keeps the...
Nevermind, just look at this website and you will see how it all goes together.
http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/how-to-rebuild-hayes-hfx-9/

You do not have to remove the master cylinder to fix it but it will have to be rebled. I replaced my master cylinder once and the c clip popped out on the trail. I was able to pop it back in but the lever lost fluid.

OK, I'll do all the work for you.
Here is a place to order the parts. The whole kits and kaboodle.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=5832&category=13

Notice the washer the c-clip holds in place is actually flat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no fluid loss... so i put a new retaining washer on the end of the pushrod and then "snapped" the c-clip in place...no bleeding or removal of any parts - the only thing that i did was rotate the lever up for accessibility...easy fix...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts