Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just installed my second ES51 bottom bracket because the first one was making such a racket.After 10 miles this one is just as loud! If I stand on the pedals the noise is terrible,to be honest it's embarrassing! Is there a remedy for this? Or is it even the bottom bracket,could it be some other part,or even the frame? BTW,I ride a Trek 4900 and am in the Clydesdale class.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
grease?

Sheedy said:
I've just installed my second ES51 bottom bracket because the first one was making such a racket.After 10 miles this one is just as loud! If I stand on the pedals the noise is terrible,to be honest it's embarrassing! Is there a remedy for this? Or is it even the bottom bracket,could it be some other part,or even the frame? BTW,I ride a Trek 4900 and am in the Clydesdale class.Thanks in advance.
Grease the BB cup threads? Especially if that treck is aluminium. With noise, grease is always the answer, just gotta find out where to put it. Or maybe shitmano spline crap creaks, dunno, all square taper here, all quiet here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the grease!

I've covered everything in grease to no avail.I've torqued everything as tight as can be.I'm begining to think it is the slined BB,like you said.When I was using square taper BBs I had no problems beside the odd creak now and then.But since I've up/down graded to the Octalink I've noticed how rough it is in comparison particularly when you hammer the cranks going uphill or even just stand on the pedals when going over a bump I can feel something grind in the BB area.I don't think it is natural for this to happen and I am amazed that others haven't experienced this,especially since this is my second ES51to do it so obviously my case isn't a one off!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same problem on two seperate bikes with ES51 BBs, LX cranks, and different pedals. I've tried everything from bike grease to locktite. Both bikes are very aggressively riden. Does anyone know what to do? I've been asking about this problem for 6 months now and no one has given me an answer. Maybe Shimano needs to step in and answer this. I'm thinking of trying to ES71 because it's supposedly stronger, but maybe my cranks are just worn out (after only 3 months of use!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe we need Naestep!!

This problem is driving me nuts and is also keeping me off my bike because of the noise.I recall Naestep saying he had the exact same cranks on a ride of his.I wonder what he did to sort out his problem.I remember he mentioned that "torque is everything" for these cranks.Indeed,when I try not to tighten the crank bolt so hard the first couple of minutes of riding are pretty silent,then I notice some looseness in the crank area that doesn't feel right and I end up tightening the bolt more which results in the"snap,crackle and pop" phenomena!!! I hope it doesn't take me 6 months to sort this out.Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a feeling half of my problem is my worn out pedal bearings but, like you said, when i take it all apart (crank, BB) and relube it and what not, it works great for a few minutes and then slowly gets worse. Recently i was on a trail which requires a lot of bunnyhopping. For some reason, the bunnyhopping fixed my problem, until i got back on the road later that day and it came back. I'm thinking of going make the square tapered just because it is proven to work.
Are there hollowtech type cranks that are square tapered?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same thing happened to me . .

and after much sleuthing I found that it was my chainring bolts. They make the exact same snap crackle pop as a worn BB. Removed them, degreased them and re-installed with some blue loctite. Silence.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Believe it or not, i've actually tried that. I've done about everything you can do, but all at different times. This weekend i plan to completely remove everything and do a complete overhaul of the crank area. I just need to get some real bike grease first.... all i have is white lightening at the moment. I'm going to try new pedals too. I just rebuilt one of them and it seemed to help so i'll try the other. The thing is, all of these parts have only had 3 months of use so i can't see being worn a problem. I didn't expect to have to rebuild my bike once a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Torque Wrench

Get one if you dont have one already. I hvae had crank/bb clicking/cracking problems w/Octalink & ISIS so it is not just specific to any one system. I did all the usual: grease, locktite, plumber tape, you name it. Nothing helped. I finally went and bought a torque wrench for 20 something dollars from Sears. Took everything apart, regreased everything and retightened using the torque wrench. Eureka -- all creaking, clicking noise gone. The most challenging part for me was to find the torque specifications for all the parts. Try retorquing everything in the crank area: BB, cranks, pedals, even front derailleur.

The thing i regret is not getting the torque wrench sooner. Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
119 Posts
it sounds like it could be the pedals that are causing this nuisance. all of your other maintenance stuff that you did to the crank should have at least helped. i slapped my old pedals on my new x-types to save my budget. and those things drove me nuts. as far as the square tapers, if they were`nt creaking and groaning. they were loosening up! the new x-type diabolus are super stout. didnt have the pleasure of using ISIS or octalink. spent alot of time on square tapers, granted, use things and wear them out. of course they are going to loosen up! and make all those wonderfull noises that make ya crazy.......ghost

·
Registered
7 Posts
psychojylo said:
Get one if you dont have one already. I hvae had crank/bb clicking/cracking problems w/Octalink & ISIS so it is not just specific to any one system. I did all the usual: grease, locktite, plumber tape, you name it. Nothing helped. I finally went and bought a torque wrench for 20 something dollars from Sears. Took everything apart, regreased everything and retightened using the torque wrench. Eureka -- all creaking, clicking noise gone. The most challenging part for me was to find the torque specifications for all the parts. Try retorquing everything in the crank area: BB, cranks, pedals, even front derailleur.

The thing i regret is not getting the torque wrench sooner. Good luck.

Jeff
Amen to Jeff -

I went to the local Pep Boys and bought a cheap torque wrench and a hex/torx set that was compatible with the ratchet. EVERY time I do anything to my or my girlfriend's bike, I torque the bolts to manufacturer specs. Since I bought the wrench, I have not had a problem with loosening or creaking bolts. One time I tightened my headset cap with an allen key and it loosened after two rides. Maybe I half-assed the topcap, but the torque wrench makes a difference with just about everything mechanical on a bike, boat, car, etc...

Cheers -

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried the torque wrench and.....

matt719 said:
I have the same problem on two seperate bikes with ES51 BBs, LX cranks, and different pedals. I've tried everything from bike grease to locktite. Both bikes are very aggressively riden. Does anyone know what to do? I've been asking about this problem for 6 months now and no one has given me an answer. Maybe Shimano needs to step in and answer this. I'm thinking of trying to ES71 because it's supposedly stronger, but maybe my cranks are just worn out (after only 3 months of use!)
I't seems to have done the trick,kind of! Before I tried a torque wrench I used a simple hex wrench to tighten up the crank bolts and to my mind I tightened them very,very tight.However,when I used the wrench(clicker type) I couldn't believe how much I had to force it until it clicked.In fact I thought the torque wrench was faulty and just has I was about to give up I heard it click! So it seems that however much you're tightening the bolts,you're not tightening them enough! I can hear my cranks only now and then since I tried the wrench!Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts