Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode from Claremont Wilderness into Marshall Canyon recently and saw 2 rattlesnakes on one ride. Both of them were at the grass side edge of the trail.

Be careful, it's rattlesnake season!

·
climber
111 Posts
First time I have seen traces of any snake in So Cal was on Sunday.
I was hiking in Horse Flats and came across the tall tail signs of a very fat snake.
The snake's slithery path was about the width of a half dollar coin laying on its side.

Did see a baby rattler up near Saddle Peak and Stunt road about a month ago though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dewd! We were riding Viejo tie yesterday. I pinched a tire so I flip my bike upside down holding it by the head tube and the seat tube. When I'm almost kneeling I see 2 rattle snakes all curled up 2 feet from my hands.

After [email protected]%ng my sh$%ts I walked away and fixed the flat further out.

DavidM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saw 2 today in Turnbull canyon, 1 on the side of the fireroad, curled up. And another was dead, it may have been run over.

People need to excercise caution. I've seen people get too comfortable around them trying to push them off the trail with their shoe which is extremely dangerous with a rattlesnake.

Somebody got bit recently in whittier at the rose hills cemetary when he tried to move a rattler away.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Several spotted out at La Costa. Just be alert and give them room to scurry off....

·
Registered
17 Posts
last time i was at jpl ( el prieto single track ) i almost ran over one , my foot was going down and i realize it was missing its head , i guess some one kill it and didn't bother to moved the snake out of the middle of the trail , but man it scare the s*&(^% out of me .

·
Registered
105 Posts
That wasn't a snake or a meal. It was a worm & a snack!

I saw a big rattler slithering away trying to avoid my fat 2.5" Minion recently.

They are more afraid of us than we are of them, unless you're called Indiana!

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,929 Posts
If you are riding, it is next to impossible to get bit. You are moving too fast. If not, you need to pedal faster. There is lots of data out there to prove the likelyhood of you getting bit, let alone with venom is very, very low.

http://www.alongtheway.org/rattlesnakes/basics.html

small part
As a defensive response, snakebite is employed to discourage further contact by a would-be predator or a careless interloper. Rattlesnakes typically bite by striking from a coiled position. They can, however, simply turn and bite if stepped on or picked up. Under most circumstances the effective strike range is from one third to one half the snake's length. Rattlesnakes cannot jump, but particularly savage strikes may jerk a snake's entire body in the general direction of the strike and leave the impression that a jump has occurred.

A rattlesnake can control the amount of venom injected during a bite and will adjust the quantity delivered to meet a given situation. About 40% of initial, defensive bites are "dry," with little or no venom being injected. The greater the threat perceived by the snake, however, the more likely a larger dose will be discharged. It bears pointing out that a rattlesnake must learn to control the injection; thus a young snake, inexperienced in subduing prey and defending itself, may be more likely to deliver a larger dose of venom than would a more experienced animal under identical circumstances. As a result, a bite from a young snake may produce disproportionately serious results (variables affecting snakebite severity include location of the bite, venom toxicity, and amount injected), and this has led to the common adage that small rattlesnakes are more "deadly" than large ones.

I was looking for stats on bites that I have seen before but could not find it. One of the stats is something like half of ALL rattlesnake bites are against males who are playing with the snake. We just can't resist that. Of course, another silly fact is, of those bites, about half again are under the influence of alcohol. Hmmm, go figure.

A hiker has a chance of getting bit but I am willing to bet there is very few, if any, bites that happened on a bike. Just use common sense and learn to bunny hop. Even if you run it over, you would be past it before it could react. Now your buddy behind you gets to deal with the pissed off snake, if it survived the first contact.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Maybe this is obvious, but don't kill them except as a last resort or if it is unavoidable.

Being high end predators, they are a pretty critical link in the food chain. Kill all the snakes and watch your house get eaten by rodents!:eek:

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
I've also heard that snakes have relatively poor eyesight and as a result will strike at the first thing they see coming at them. In our case, that would be the front tire.

I'm not afraid in the least of the snakes I actually see on the trail. it's the ones I can't see that worry me. Those that may be near me when I crash or as another poster commented, kneel down to work on my bike. In this case, it's not going to be their fault they strike since they're generally threatened only because I don't know they're there!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have ran over one large Garter snake (on a descent), saw a Rattler (Trail Edge) and multiple signs (slither marks) on the trail all just in the last month. I ride out here in the IE out at Santa Rosa Plateau.

Any recommended snake bite kit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
yesterday a couple friends and I were checking out a big overgrown dirt jump track in fallbrook....just trouncing around the brush. They both stepped right over a coiled rattler and I went to step and saw it. That is a scary feeling, being in the middle of a field where you can't really see the ground, assuming that you will not make it the 30' back to your bikes without running through a gauntlet of other hidden coiled rattlers.:yikes:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.