Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen any? Every day now, I see them sunning or crossing or rattlin at me.

fc

·
Registered
242 Posts
man i hate those things. the rattlers anyways. even though i have only seen them while hiking. right now i am more avoiding any geese i see who have a litter of goslings(?)....they charge at you like they mean business.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
Seen a few rattlers in the past month. Almost ran over a gopher snake hanging out in the sun in st joes last Sunday.

Sent by smoke signal

·
Paper or plastic?
10,288 Posts
Been riding for over 10 years, I've seen California king snakes, gopher snakes, bobcat, fox, all kind of fowl and a cub, but I've yet to see a rattler.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cool photo. :thumbsup: Snakes on the trail is a good reason to practice your bunny hop.

Don't ever hit a snake. They do a lot of good for the environment and hitting one will set MikeV into a 3 month long rant. :eekster:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Been riding for over 10 years, I've seen California king snakes, gopher snakes, bobcat, fox, all kind of fowl and a cub, but I've yet to see a rattler.
Huh. I see rattle snakes more than just about anything else, except maybe gopher snakes. Haven't chopped one in half yet, but I've been close.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
About two hours ago, somewhere in the east bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ran into a large gopher snake on the pave segment of the Bay Trail along 237 in Sunnyvale on Sunday riding my long board. I've seen lots of smaller ones on the gravel sections of the Bay Trail but this is the first one I've seen on the pavement. Luckily saw it in time to make a big looping turn around it as it is hard to bunny hop on the long board:

- Skateboaring in Mountain View, CA. Shoreline and Stevens Creek Trail

·
boomer
888 Posts
Last weekend in Tulsa, OK; wife ran right over it thinking it was a root and didn't believe me when I stopped her to show it to her. When we went back it had scampered off but thankfully the GoPro was running and I was able to show her the proof later.

Attachments

·
Xavior12
3 Posts
I see them over by Castle Rock all the time. Dont ride there in the May/June. So the question becomes do you go fast and hope you're faster than they are when you rin them over or do you go slow and careful?

Also what do you do if you get bit?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good website for identifying snakes.
California Herps

Most people get bitten when they try to catch or handle rattlers.
Gopher snakes will rattle their tails and hiss like a rattle snake.
When in doubt, leave it alone.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
There's a trippy snake I've seen twice in Tahoe, a rubber boa, at first glance it looks like it has a head on each end!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Take a ride on Diablo. Saw 5 Monday night on the road ride and 4 on the MTB last night.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts