Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Aww man.....I hate snakes. At one point last summer I was running into one on the singletrack 1-3 times per ride. They scare the _____ out of me, especially when they're mad and rattling and you're riding alone. Rolling over them on the track messes with your head too...hard to shake the nervous feeling for the rest of the ride =) Oh well...warm weather is worth it.

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
I'm no herpetologist, and like I said, I haven't seen a copperhead live and in the flesh in nearly two decades, but that sure looks like a pit viper with the markings of a copperhead.

I know the watersnake you're talking about, and the above does not remind me of one. The head doesn't look right.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The two snakes are very similar except for the head. A mocassin/cottonmouth has a big diamond shaped head while the water snake has a flat, small head. Typically, cottonmouth don't grow as long but are much fatter. Hard to say for sure since you can't get a great look at the head in the picture. MS where I hail from is infested with moccasins.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LAKESNAKE said:
I live on lake Travis in Austin and run into the water snakes on my dock from time to time. I actually "saved one" that got his head stuck inside a beer can. The pic above looks more like one of these (Cottonmouth) which come in many shades.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Hard to tell the 1st one without a good pic of the head. However this young guy is awesome. check out the green tail....a yearling and ready to go. watch out frogs, lizards and small birds. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it looked like a juvenile cottonmouth due to the shape and prominent head. It wasn't aggressive when I moved it off the trail with a stick and I didn't get a look at it's tail (I was more focused in the biting end)! Kids were coming along the trail behind me and I didn't want them getting hit.

I did a little image searching and some of the attached links show similar coloring and patterns. The darn things do look similar to water snakes.

http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

http://www.google.com/images?q=wate...tJs_pgQeUo8zLCg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=597

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
This is an educational thread.

All the cottonmouths I'd ever seen were solid-colored ... usually black or dark gray. I had no idea juvenile cottonmouths were banded like copperheads and had a "fishing worm" of a tail. Fascinating.

The picture in the OP isn't detailed enough to be conclusive, but the shape of the jaw seems suggestive of a pit viper. I remember watersnakes having more of a diamond/checkered pattern than banded, but maybe there are variants. After all, Texas is a mighty big state.

Oh, and for the curious, I'm posting here because I spent the first 30 years of my life in Texas and was curious as to the goings on there. I didn't start mountain biking until I moved to Idaho. In hindsight, I wish I'd been doing it all my life.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: Aw Son Of A Muther!!!,...I hate snakes! Poisonous or Not,..I hate'um. :madmax: :madmax:
I totally forgot it was time for the devil's tongue to slither out again.:madman:

What do yall think Pepper Spray would do to them?:p

·
since 4/10/2009
34,396 Posts
Lol, if you hate snakes, whatcha doing in Texas?

Lots of snakes are considered aggressive when in fact, they are quite the opposite. I've run across a number of snakes that people have told me are aggressive, and have been unable to confirm.

I find that many nonvenomous snakes tend to be much more ill-tempered than the venomous ones.

·
Registered
270 Posts
NateHawk said:
Lol, if you hate snakes, whatcha doing in Texas?

Lots of snakes are considered aggressive when in fact, they are quite the opposite. I've run across a number of snakes that people have told me are aggressive, and have been unable to confirm.

I find that many nonvenomous snakes tend to be much more ill-tempered than the venomous ones.
Man ,..believe me,.I'd love to move somewhere up north where I can really enjoy some cold weather. But yeah,..Texas has two things for sure,..Snakes and Humid Heat! :madman:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.