Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I was fishing at New Hogan Lake, and they also have lots of bike trails around. It just so happened we were fishing in a cove right near a bike trail I often ride, and we turned around and a 6 foot rattle snake was approaching the boat. This thing was just plain scary, and as we started the boat and moved away, it started to follow us but we drove away.

Now I got to thinking, he had come down the hill from the singletrack I often ride, and I honestly would not know what to do if I was bombing around a corner and I saw a snake crossing the path.

I guess I would bunny hop as high as I could around it, but what if I didn't see it till the last minute, say I was looking out at the lake for a moment. It just brought it into reality and made mountain biking a little more dangerous in my book.

Have any of you encountered snakes on your rides? What did you do?

·
noMAD man
12,208 Posts
Here in west Texas we have lots of rattlers, and our local riding trail is full of them. I literally run over 2-3 each year and see even more on the side of the trail. We've never had anyone bitten on our trail or even a good, scary close-call story. I think movies and TV make rattlesnakes out to be very aggressive and extremely intelligent...waaaay more than what they are. They are generally an ambush predator of small animals like rats and mice primarily. I've grown up around them, and they seem to have an ability to sense how big the object is that they're striking at...not usually just some blind attack mode. I think when they're stepped on or backed into a corner, they'll do whatever it takes. But generally you can tell they know better than to try to attack a very large object...like us or a bike. I kinda doubt the one you saw was really "coming after you". Another funny thing is that they don't see or sense things very far away. Once they realize a threat is close, they usually try to warn you off, and if given half a chance, they will retreat.

You mention fishing. The snake I've had more scary moments with is the water mocassin. I bass fish, and I like to get back into places with submerged trees, rocks, vegetation and such. I've had to literally beat back a water mocassin on more than one occassion with my fishing rod while the sucker tried to get into the boat with me...and that was while there were plenty of other objects close to my boat and on shore for the snake to go if all he wanted was to get out of the water. I've seen them change course while swimming to come over to the boat and try to get in. On the shoreline I've had them come towards me in a very aggressive and purposeful manner in a definite "get outa my hood" attitude. No...I'm not very concerned about rattlesnakes on an MTB trail except when I'm working on our trail with a weedeater. You're stomping through weeds, you can't hear them rattle, and you're focused on operating the machine...a good time to get bit. Here's a pic of what I wear for that type of trail work...LOL!...snake bite leggings and MX boots.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
its funny you started this thread, because i was thinking about this very topic yesterday. around here, we have the timber rattler and the copperhead. they both are huge fans of dense woods, rocks and fallen leaves and such, which just so happens to be the type of places i ride.

i'm surprised we don't hear more about mountain bike encounters with snakes. god forbid someone were to get bitten alone out in the middle of nowhere, 5-10 miles from civilization. your goose would be cooked. i honestly have no idea what would happen if i were ever bitten. the more you pedal the more the heart would pull the venom throughout your body, and where i ride i rarely see anyone else to help out. maybe we need some antivenom for the camelbak lol...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've considered buying a snake bite kit for the camelbak. I may never need it, but that one time I do I'm sure it will be worth it's weight in gold. I haven't ran into any rattlers, but they are out here. So far this year I have seen a California King, and some other snake that I didn't know what it was. The second one I didn't see until I was rolling over top of him. I saw him about a second before my front wheel ran him over. I just started pedaling faster and didn't look back.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Here in Florida, we've got lots and lots of snakes, and I've had many encounters on the trails. The ones we watch out for are 3 or 4 different versions of rattlers, the cottonmouth (water moccasin) and the coral snake. I have seen both rattle snakes and cottonmouths on the trails. They say to get bit by a coral snake you need to make an appointment, so I don't worry too much about them. If they are on the trail, I usually don't know they are a snake until I've rolled over them, and then it's too late to worry about it. The only time when this didn't work out so well was when I was leading a ride with a group. I rolled over the very large rattlesnake, which pissed it off greatly, so then it coiled, ready to strike the guy behind me. He and the rest of the group had to wait for it to settle down and move off before they continued on the trail.

Most of the snake encounters that I've had are just common black snakes or rat snakes, nothing to worry about at all.

The serious reptile encounters that I've had have been gators on the trails, that is freaky. They are not as easy to roll over as snakes :)

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
cmktech said:
Have any of you encountered snakes on your rides? What did you do?
Sure. Several times a year. Some are Rattlers, others, non-venomous. Most of the time just scoot around them or if their right on the trail, stop and give the snake a chance to get away. For the most part , the snake would prefer to hide. As a prior poster mentioned, they don't attack large critters (humans) unless threatened.
A couple times the snake just didn't want to give up its little slice of sunshine. I knew there were other trail users coming or I've gotten impatient so just found a large stick and encouraged the snake to get going with a gentle prod. I see no reason to get worked up about them too much.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's funny that you bass fish because we were doing just that. We were deep in a cove with logs and underwater trees and were pretty close to the shore. My dad heard a splash and looked back, but it wasnt a fish, ti was the snake. Then we started the trolling motor and went away from the snake and the cove, and the snake turned towards the boat, he looked like he wanted a closer look lol. Well I guess I won't worry to much on the trail then.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Coming across snakes on single track has happened to me a few times. Last summer, I almost ran over a harmless garter snake. To avoid doing so, I panicked, grabbed a handful of front brake and flipped over my handle bars. The snake was unscathed.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I see'm all the time. 2 weeks ago in N Ga. Across the trail as pic'd.

But as usual and most of the time, they are as harmless as a turtle..cept no legs. 1 minute later. Corn Snake.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
When I lived and rode in Louisiana I ran over a few water moccasins(cotton mouths). The problem is more for the second rider. One I hit when going around a corner and then I shouted out to the next rider but was too late. The snake bit his tire and flatted it. I know snake bite flat hahaha. But the smake sunk both fangs into the tire and we waited 10 minutes for it to leave so we could go back to the bike and fix it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I too have only noticed them when the rollover option is all that's left. At this point one just rolls over it, yells "SNAKE" for the following rider(s) (if any), and I might suggest getting one's feet up as much a possible(especially at low speeds). I've been struck at a couple of times at low speeds, and so far no contact has been made.

If I can, I stop & let it get out of the way - which is usually the case.

·
noMAD man
12,208 Posts
Hmmm...wait a minute.

cmktech said:
it's funny that you bass fish because we were doing just that. We were deep in a cove with logs and underwater trees and were pretty close to the shore. My dad heard a splash and looked back, but it wasnt a fish, ti was the snake. Then we started the trolling motor and went away from the snake and the cove, and the snake turned towards the boat, he looked like he wanted a closer look lol. Well I guess I won't worry to much on the trail then.
Are you sure that was a rattlesnake? That behavior sure does sound like a mocassin. Rattlesnakes can swim, but it's not routine behavior for them at all. Just curious. Oh...also, how did that snake swim in the water? Just the head and neck sticking out of the water, or the whole body appearing on top of the water?

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
I just saw Jake (the snake) the other day at Chicopee... hey you GA riders! You know that creek at the end of Chicopee? Right before Hell Hill?

Jake lives THERE!

bob~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts