Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pinch snakebite flat by bumping in to a sharp curb with low pressure. Glued the patches out of an old tube on both sides. This tube is schwalbe and its the strechiest tube ive ever seen. Now the patches dont stretch. Is this ok, i dont like buying new tubes and only replace them after 5-6 patches.
Here are the links for the photos
https://ibb.co/3hQLyLp
https://ibb.co/HPbjQjs
https://ibb.co/C56M7Ww

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if i told you
That im 16 and that going tubeless is expensive because no one is tubeless in my city and that my rims arent tubeless ready and that my smart sams are probably not tubeless ready and that my bike is 3 years younger than me

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Those patches look more like tire sidewalls than old innertube.

Did you use the correct vulcanising solvent (aka glue for patches)? In the photos it looks like regular glue of some kind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The glue is bison in a tube that need to be waited to cure on patches and the tube 10 mins then left glued and pressed for 24-48hrs.
The patch is made from an old 26" tube with car valve. I used the same method and the same old tube for more than 10 patches so its ok. The only thing suspicious may be that the patch is glued outside so the sizing letters may be more noticeable

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Use a tire patch kit. The patches have a special layer and feathered edges which make them adhere well, not leak and not peel off. I've used patches for many many years and proper patches installed properly have been bullet proof for me. Of course the area of the tube isn't going to stretch as easily with the patch on it, but it stretches easily and far enough to work when installed in a tire.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,328 Posts
What if i told you
That im 16 and that going tubeless is expensive because no one is tubeless in my city and that my rims arent tubeless ready and that my smart sams are probably not tubeless ready and that my bike is 3 years younger than me
I went tubeless 10 years ago with a pair of rims that made were before tubeless was a thing.

All you needs is a $3 roll of gorilla tape, pair of valve stems and a quart of Stan's.

It's probably less money than you're spending on patches and tubes each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,328 Posts
My bad dude. You posted here like this was a problem. If you’re patching tubes only every 6 months, and putting 6 patches on a tube, I’d say having the same tube for three years is a non-issue.

Happy trails man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,869 Posts
vulcanized patches don't stretch much, it's fine. as long as it was clean, scuffed, and applied correctly it'll hold forever

avoid speed patches that do not use vulcanizing solvent, they are just temporary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.