Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Are you talking the tire or just the tube?....

cghornets20 said:
hi i have a snakebite on my tire and i was wondering what to do. Buy a new tire, patch kit, new tube, etc.

thanks
If it's just the tube then just get a new tube. Patches are only a TEMPORARY fix. Get a new tube and then run higher pressure than you were running before, this should help you avoide pinch flats/snake bites. If you have actually cut the side wall of the tire then replace the tire as well. But a pinch flat/snake bite rarely damages the tire, unless the pressure was really low when you hit the obstical that caused the flat.

Good Dirt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Squash said:
If it's just the tube then just get a new tube. Patches are only a TEMPORARY fix...
Wrong. Properly applied a patch will last as long as you want to use the tube. I have ten-year-old tubes with a dozen or more patches and the hold air just fine.

Another reason to patch your inner tubes is the world-wide shortage of butyl rubber. Kenda (who makes tubes for many companies) has had to stop production of tubes for now because they can not get the rubber.
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
shiggy said:
Wrong. Properly applied a patch will last as long as you want to use the tube. I have ten-year-old tubes with a dozen or more patches and the hold air just fine.

Another reason to patch your inner tubes is the world-wide shortage of butyl rubber. Kenda (who makes tubes for many companies) has had to stop production of tubes for now because they can not get the rubber.
Same experience here, shiggy - have never had a patch let me down.....have had countless flats, but never from a patched area. Interesting note about the butyl rubber shortage....haven't heard that before...so now I can tell my wife I'm conserving, instead of being the cheap bassturd that I am ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Wrong in your experience maybe, but....

shiggy said:
Wrong. Properly applied a patch will last as long as you want to use the tube. I have ten-year-old tubes with a dozen or more patches and the hold air just fine.

Another reason to patch your inner tubes is the world-wide shortage of butyl rubber. Kenda (who makes tubes for many companies) has had to stop production of tubes for now because they can not get the rubber.
I've never had a patch last more than a week! If you have em last for 10 years I'd like to know what you use for a patch kit!

Good Dirt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Rema Tip-Top is the standard of the industry.

They make rubber patches for every type of inner tube and tire. Most other bicycle specific patch kits from Kenda, Panaracer, Maxxis, etc work as well.

From the Wallingford Bicycle Parts web site:
The Rema Tip-Top patches have been around forever. I have tried other patch kits from time to time but I keep coming back to Tip-Top because they are the ones that I can get to stick, reliably, every time.

To make these patches work right you must follow the instructions. Especially the part about letting the glue flash-dry before applying the patch. It is easy to get in a hurry and think "what could it matter" but it does matter. Waiting for the glue to dry a little takes less than a minute and it ensures that you will get a good patch. Not waiting for the glue to dry means that your patch stands a chance of failing, you get discouraged with the whole process, and every time you get the inevitable puncture you toss the tube. Then you spend $4 (or more) on a new tube when you could have spent a quarter to patch the old one.

It's always easier to patch a tube at home. Carry a good tube and a patch kit. When you have a flat, put in the good tube. Maybe you'll need the patch kit for your second flat that ride. Otherwise, patch the tube when the ride is over.
I will add, do not blow on the glue to speed up the drying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Okay, I'll have to give the Rema a try....

shiggy said:
Rema Tip-Top is the standard of the industry.

They make rubber patches for every type of inner tube and tire. Most other bicycle specific patch kits from Kenda, Panaracer, Maxxis, etc work as well.

From the Wallingford Bicycle Parts web site:
The Rema Tip-Top patches have been around forever. I have tried other patch kits from time to time but I keep coming back to Tip-Top because they are the ones that I can get to stick, reliably, every time.

To make these patches work right you must follow the instructions. Especially the part about letting the glue flash-dry before applying the patch. It is easy to get in a hurry and think "what could it matter" but it does matter. Waiting for the glue to dry a little takes less than a minute and it ensures that you will get a good patch. Not waiting for the glue to dry means that your patch stands a chance of failing, you get discouraged with the whole process, and every time you get the inevitable puncture you toss the tube. Then you spend $4 (or more) on a new tube when you could have spent a quarter to patch the old one.

It's always easier to patch a tube at home. Carry a good tube and a patch kit. When you have a flat, put in the good tube. Maybe you'll need the patch kit for your second flat that ride. Otherwise, patch the tube when the ride is over.
I will add, do not blow on the glue to speed up the drying.
Like I said I've never had a patch last more than a week. I wouldn't mind being able to patch a tire and not have to worry about it again. Thanks.

Good Dirt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Squash said:
Like I said I've never had a patch last more than a week. I wouldn't mind being able to patch a tire and not have to worry about it again. Thanks.

Good Dirt
Be sure to follow the instructions and the tips above. Most patch failures are because of the application technique rather than the patch.

Instant/self-adhesive patches are not a permanent repair. They can get you home.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top