Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this cool little guy on Hawes today.

He wasn't big at all but he picked a dangerous place to live. His hole is halfway up the inside bank of the trail on a slight curve. Luckily bikes will tend to hug the outside bank so he is safer than he could have been!

Attachments

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
Yes,,,, tragically, it is that time of year again. My pace gets better every year, because of these little things.... one of these years.. the heart is just gonna give out.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Our trail pup is counting down the days till she no longer gets to join us on our rides. . . heat and snakes, no bueno. Too bad, as it's the only way to semi tire her out.

·
livin' the dream......
1,943 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Critter spottings are great! Someday I'm going to see a Gila monster.... someday.... how long have I been riding/walking/hiking/exploring this desert? My time is coming. That's the real reason why I carry my camera all the time - not just to take pics of all of you :D
DG, it will be worth it when you do see one. I saw one at SOMO a few years back, it raised it's tail and hissed at us, then vanished under some brittlebush. Very cool creature!

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Critter spottings are great! Someday I'm going to see a Gila monster.... someday.... how long have I been riding/walking/hiking/exploring this desert? My time is coming. That's the real reason why I carry my camera all the time - not just to take pics of all of you :D
Head down to Tucson. Everytime I am down there I see one.

·
EDR
10,259 Posts
Someday I'm going to see a Gila monster.... someday.... how long have I been riding/walking/hiking/exploring this desert? My time is coming
You need to be out there (Hawes) as the sun is setting. I saw no less than 3 of them last year, all directly on the trail. I also had the trail blocked by a large desert tortoise,he was big enough that you would have needed two hands to move him.

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eatdrinkride said:
I also had the trail blocked by a large desert tortoise,he was big enough that you would have needed two hands to move him.
That is something I'd love to get a shot of.

·
meow
588 Posts
Beautiful 3' gopher on Pemberton this afternoon, the folks at the top of the hill warned that it was a rattler. One look at the skinny tail and I knew it was safe to ride by it.

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CoyoteKis said:
Yes,,,, tragically, it is that time of year again. My pace gets better every year, because of these little things.... one of these years.. the heart is just gonna give out.
I don't mind snakes at all. On the other hand, if I were riding in the woods back east, and I rode through a spider web stretched across the trail, I would have issues to say the least. :eek::eek: :eek:

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
No need for name calling.
LOL, that was actually a semi-inside joke. A friend of ours found what she thought was a desert tortoise when she moved into her new place. She asked us if we wanted it, and the GF jumped all over it. We put it in the backyard, and within about 10 mins, it was swimming in the pool, which I guess if you know tortoises, is not common. Long story short: it was a neighbor's red-eared slider that had escaped. It even had webbed feet.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
hfy108 said:
I don't mind snakes at all. On the other hand, if I were riding in the woods back east, and I rode through a spider web stretched across the trail, I would have issues to say the least. :eek::eek: :eek:
OMG....spiderwebs! I hated those damn things. I even went so far as to fasten a huge stick on my handle bars to clear out the webs. from time to time. of course, if I had the pleasure of first tracks the next day they we're right back up.

there were times when Id hit 10 or 12 on a ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts