Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have snack suggestions?

I've just started back swimming after a long time off (my neck is finally healed--yeah!). And with the increased exercise is my increased hunger. I eat a good breakfast everyday, and I try to pack a lunch that's dividible into snacks, but I find that I eat it all by lunch and by 3pm I'm starving again. Here's what I normally have:

breakfast: berry smoothie with rice protein (digestible before my morning swim), or when I'm not swimming: two eggs on kamut toast and a side of fruit or fruit juice.

post swim/morning snack: apple and a hand full of almonds.

lunch is usually one of: 1) large salad with a can of tuna or salmon, or with some shrimp or chicken, OR 2) leftovers from dinner; and for dessert some unsweetened applesauce (sometimes I add some rice crackers, or spelt ginger bread cookies)

afternoon snack: another apple with some almonds

I drink lots of water during the day too.

I'm bored with this. I'm eating way too many apples (but they travel well and usually fill me up. I'm trying to branch off into cut-up melon, and pears). And I'm starving by 3:00 pm. Maybe I'm not eating the right things, or not enough at lunch. Fire away with any suggestions. I'll keep them for my next grocery run.

CAVEAT: I have the following restrictions due to food sensitivities: no dairy, no wheat, no peanuts, no soy, no chocolate, no sugar, no citrus fruits, bananas, pineapple, kiwi, or strawberries

Bike content: this is also in preparation for ideas for snacks on the trail when I start back mountain biking in about a month.

Thanks!
Mary Ann

·
Registered
329 Posts
I really like the mini peeled carrots. i always have a bag of them at the fridge at work. i also like grape tomotoes, although they don't hold me over for very long. i eat almonds, as you do, since i find the fat content in them keeps me satisfied for longer. what about a nut butter on bread? i like a piece of bread with PB in the afternoon (obviously you'll have to modify for your allergies).

I also like fruit chew snacks, but your restrictions might limit those.

good luck! i'm hungry all the time too.

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Sounds like you need more food

One snack that you might try is oatmeal made with oatmilk. Oatmilk is nice to cook with because it doesn't break down at high temps the way that rice milk does.
Try this as an "elevensies" snack (that's the meal that comes after second breakfast, and before lunch :) ).
I also sometimes prebake artichokes, and use them as a cold afternoon snack, or quick cook spinach with garlic, salt and pepper.
I wish I had more specific options for you, but I (happily) have a soy-heavy eating pattern.
good luck

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Those are some serious restrictions

CAVEAT: I have the following restrictions due to food sensitivities: no dairy, no wheat, no peanuts, no soy, no chocolate, no sugar, no citrus fruits, bananas, pineapple, kiwi, or strawberries

And my husband thinks my being a vegetarian can be a pain =)

Do you bake most of your own breads, muffins, etc? I know that the health food stores here have several baked goods that are dairy, wheat and sugar free. I don't know what the grocery shopping is like in your area.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mary Ann said:
Let's see, at first glance I'd be starving if I ate what you listed. Maybe you need more carbs and protein and more calories in general. Do you have celiac's too (you said no wheat)? I am going to have to think about what foods I'd suggest. That's alot of NOs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Also have you tried rice milk? It's not soy or dairy, but has a soy taste. Then you can at least have corn based cereal and rice milk.

Ooh, I just thought of something. Chicken Taquitos. Put some chicken breasts in the crockpot with some salsa and a spices. Cook on Low 8 hours, then shred it all up with 2 forks. Then roll up some meat in a corn tortillas and freeze a whole bunch of them. Nuke in the microwave and eat on the go. Too much work?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm going to agree on this one.. you need more food!! Specifically, more carbs. What do you eat for dinner???

Kallisti said:
One snack that you might try is oatmeal made with oatmilk. Oatmilk is nice to cook with because it doesn't break down at high temps the way that rice milk does.
Try this as an "elevensies" snack (that's the meal that comes after second breakfast, and before lunch :) ).
I also sometimes prebake artichokes, and use them as a cold afternoon snack, or quick cook spinach with garlic, salt and pepper.
I wish I had more specific options for you, but I (happily) have a soy-heavy eating pattern.
good luck

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
just thought of

Potatoes, specificlly my favorite is peruvian (purple) potatoes made into german potato salad. Yes, the more active you are, the more carbs you'll need, especially just after your workouts.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Mary Ann said:
I have the following restrictions due to food sensitivities: no dairy, no wheat, no peanuts, no soy, no chocolate, no sugar, no citrus fruits, bananas, pineapple, kiwi, or strawberries
I'd be dead.

What about switching out the fruits and nuts? Mango with walnuts? Actually, pears with wlanuts are yummy! I boil eggs and keep some in the fridge for when I'm starving after a ride. I add some fruit and/or veggie and maybe some yogurt (that would have to change for you, but don't they make ride smoothies?) and it really helps me make to the next snack or dinner or lunch...

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I just finished a quick, nutritious meal that might fit the bill:

1/3 vegetable stock + 2/3 water
Frozen edamame
Mushrooms
(or whatever leftover/frozen vegetables you have handy)
Salt and spices

Boil everything for a few minutes and serve.

Quite filling, but you might want a snack on the side since I also add wheat pretzels and wasabi peas on top!

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mini carrots and grape tomatoes are great

little b said:
I really like the mini peeled carrots. i always have a bag of them at the fridge at work. i also like grape tomotoes, although they don't hold me over for very long. i eat almonds, as you do, since i find the fat content in them keeps me satisfied for longer. what about a nut butter on bread? i like a piece of bread with PB in the afternoon (obviously you'll have to modify for your allergies).

I also like fruit chew snacks, but your restrictions might limit those.

good luck! i'm hungry all the time too.
I buy those but tend to just bring them from home. It might be good to keep a stash at work too. And you've reminded me that I have a jar of almond butter at home that I'm not using enough. Thanks!

Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good suggestion

Kallisti said:
good luck
Though I just prefer oatmeal cooked with water. I had it for breakfast (first breakfast!) this morning along with a couple of eggs. Good and filling. And I think you're right about putting in another breakfast that's a bit more substantial. I'll give that a try, especially on the mornings that I swim.
Thanks!

Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it's a pain

brownieinSC said:

And my husband thinks my being a vegetarian can be a pain =)

Do you bake most of your own breads, muffins, etc? I know that the health food stores here have several baked goods that are dairy, wheat and sugar free. I don't know what the grocery shopping is like in your area.
It's also quite challenging when visiting friends for dinner. Especially my vegetarian friends--dairy, soy and wheat are their staples! I've tried on a few occaisons to introduce these foods back in, but I feel way better when I avoid them.

I'm not much of a baker, but I recently saw a recipe for wheat-free snack bars, so I may have to start. ;-) As for shopping, I'm lucky to have lots of options available in my main grocery store, and have access to heath food stores for specialty items. I can get rice milk and rice pasta, and I can get the kamut breads at the specialty stores. It's my imagination that is lacking right now.

Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UserName said:
I'm going to agree on this one.. you need more food!! Specifically, more carbs. What do you eat for dinner???
Dinners are varied, but I usually cook something healthy with lots of fresh veggies and a good dose of protein. Last night I had grilled caribou steak, roasted sweet potatoes and some green beens. (And I have enough for lunch today!!) Another big staple is rice or rice noodles, or rice pasta. I think I'm eating enough for dinner as I don't get hungry before bed.

I think you're right that I need a bit more for my snacks and lunch. I'll try adding some more carbs to the mix.

Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No celiac

Shannon-UT said:
Let's see, at first glance I'd be starving if I ate what you listed. Maybe you need more carbs and protein and more calories in general. Do you have celiac's too (you said no wheat)? I am going to have to think about what foods I'd suggest. That's alot of NOs.
I'm ok with oats, kamut and spelt. Which are luckily available to buy here.

As others have said, I'm going to up my intake a bit and see how it goes.
THanks,
Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rice milk is my new best friend

Shannon-UT said:
Also have you tried rice milk? It's not soy or dairy, but has a soy taste. Then you can at least have corn based cereal and rice milk.

Ooh, I just thought of something. Chicken Taquitos. Put some chicken breasts in the crockpot with some salsa and a spices. Cook on Low 8 hours, then shred it all up with 2 forks. Then roll up some meat in a corn tortillas and freeze a whole bunch of them. Nuke in the microwave and eat on the go. Too much work?
I'm not a big fan of the taste of milk (regular or rice) in general so I just mix it into my smoothie, or use it on cereal. Corn is ok for me now, but I've been sensitive to it in the past, so I tend to stay away from it too. But I can do a variation on your chicken taquito recipe. Thanks, it sounds yummy.

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
screampint said:
I'd be dead.

What about switching out the fruits and nuts? Mango with walnuts? Actually, pears with wlanuts are yummy! I boil eggs and keep some in the fridge for when I'm starving after a ride. I add some fruit and/or veggie and maybe some yogurt (that would have to change for you, but don't they make ride smoothies?) and it really helps me make to the next snack or dinner or lunch...
Good ideas, thanks!

I thought of you last week, when I found out that Rice Dream makes ice cream!! I don't really miss milk, but I really miss ice cream. Now I can eat it without getting ill. It's expensive as sin (or Hagen Daas) but it's a great treat.

Mary Ann

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's edamame?

Christine said:
I just finished a quick, nutritious meal that might fit the bill:

1/3 vegetable stock + 2/3 water
Frozen edamame
Mushrooms
(or whatever leftover/frozen vegetables you have handy)
Salt and spices

Boil everything for a few minutes and serve.

Quite filling, but you might want a snack on the side since I also add wheat pretzels and wasabi peas on top!
I'm not familiar with that food.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.